“Top notch hotel”

Ranked #1 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Bethesda, Maryland
“Top notch hotel”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beautiful hotel overlooking Salzburg. Had a wonderful suite, and woods nearby to walk the dog. Just terrific! The staff were wonderful. I asked for an iron and ironing board, the housekeeper came, picked up my shirt, ironed and returned it in minutes, no charge! Hard to beat that kind of service.
Breakfast is excellent also.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank SkipperDad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chisinau, Moldova
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had an awesome time with my wife in Salzburg. This hotel was at least 60% of the positive experience. It is not in the city, but on the hill. The walk is 5-10 minutes through a nice park. Elevator from the museum down (the pass was a complement of the hotel) and you are in the heart of the historic city. Free internet, parking and awesome a la cart breakfasts were awesome. There is a patio with a beautiful view as you eat an amazing breakfast. Would definitely recommend. It has more of a feel like you are a guest of the local count or baron. Very romantic view as if you are coming Disney Castle, but in real life, but not a childlike feeling. More of a real ferry-tale.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Evghenii S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is the benchmark for other five star hotels. I arrived at Schloss Monchstein from staying at a five star hotel in Frankfurt (Villa Kennedy). With all due respect to Villa Kennedy, Schloss Monchstein is a five star hotel in its own class.
As a previous reviewer said - where to start.
1. Checkin - you don't check in at a desk in an impersonal manner. You are invited to the lounge for a free drink and asked to fill out a form - in your own time. You may be visited by someone from the Spa as well to see if you need a massage or other service.
2. You are taken to your room - and my room was lovely. It was small but perfectly formed. The only (slight) downside was no bathtub but shower pressure was great and lots of towels etc. I had never experienced 'sinking' into a bed but I have now, so soft so welcoming. And a bonus for a solo traveller - lots of English language tv stations for watching at night.
3. The staff - I don't know if I have ever met such lovely staff and I have stayed at a lot of hotels. One of the dining room staff (lovely woman whose name escapes me) told me at breakfast on Christmas Day ( after they had all worked so late on Christmas Eve) that it was like a family there
4. I had dinner twice in the restaurant - lovely. The maitre'd was superb and so friendly and nice. After my first dinner he asked if I would like the same table (with a view) for Christmas Eve - something I didn't expect as a solo traveller. In most hotels or restaurants - lets be honest - I would not be given a premium table. They found me a lovely bottle of wine to go with all courses and the food was lovely - after we had all sang Silent Night together.
5. You are never an anonymous guest - you are a person and you are called by name. They helped with my train travel arrangements, getting to and from the town (via elevator), with tourism matters etc. You are taken care of by all the staff - the lovely young waiter, the barman, the senior waiter, the breakfast staff, room service etc.

Schloss Monchstein gave me the special Christmas I was looking for,and I can't wait to repeat the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Travelling_Deborah
Wellesley Island, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is one of those hotels you rave about. We were there over Christmas 2012. The staff are some of the finest and most attentive we've ever had the pleasure of meeting. No request is too small. They never disappointed us with suggestions on where to eat, what to see, when to go, etc. The spa was SUPERB as was the spa staff. The rooms were beautiful and impeccable. This hotel is a definite return visit waiting to happen!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanL36274
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed here August 2012 - service and views from the hotel were outstanding. Without question 5 star quality - HOWEVER, if you are driving here (as we were) make sure to get clear, express directions to the hotel. The one way roads and ped-only parts near the city center make this a bit of a challenge to find, even using SavNat. But the place was great and location fantastic.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Southernlawyer56
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Where does one start?

Decor - Nothing short of regal.

Room - Amazing. Probably one of the nicest rooms I've ever had despite not having much of a view from it. Clean, spacious and obviously well maintained.

Service - Stellar. Wolfgang was easily the most engaging and pleasant maitre d' I've ever met. Despite admittedly working very late the previous night, he was more than welcoming to us and offered every bit of valuable insight he could about the city as well as Austria. The front desk staff was very helpful with suggestions and making reservations for us.

Location - Perfect. Just a short, wonderful walk through the woods to the elevator that brings you right into the old town area. The views from the hotel and museum area are nothing short of breathtaking. It is also a wonderful hotel just for staying in & relaxing when you need to get away from it all.

Restaurant - Wonderfully prepared food and great service both at dinner and breakfast.

My only regret was not staying here longer - worth every euro.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view if possible just to enhance the experience.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sneakyright
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The views of the city from the hotel and grounds, especially at night, were awesome. But this hotel is not about the views, but the service. We were upgraded to a suite (for our wedding anniversary) and it just kept getting better. Upon arrival we were wisked off to a waiting area and given champagne. Check-in came to us. The luggage was delivered to the suite. A handwritten note with a bowl of fruits and a loaf of the best tasting cake/bread was waiting for us. The room was huge, the bathroom all marble, top to bottom. The closet was bigger than most european hotel rooms. The gormet breakfast was on white linen tablecloths with anything you ever wish for in a European style breakfast. You could place a special order if you so desired, like an omlette with bacon for example.
We reserved the "Smallest restaurant in the World" for our anniversary dinner. We were able to work with the chef, prior to arrival, to design our own menu. Aside from being a bit warm in the tower for dinner, it was a "Bucket List" experience. We were given a personalized menu listing what we had chosen for dinner. After being spoiled by the staff for 2 days, all our other european hotel stays for the next 2 weeks were all downhill. This place is in a class of its own.

Room Tip: I can't imagine them having a bad room in the whole place.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple