“Nice... but it could be better!”
Review of Restaurant Bar Schmederer - CLOSED

Restaurant Bar Schmederer
Cuisines: Austrian, Diner, French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Nice... but it could be better!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We went to this restaurant while we were visiting Salzburg and since it was close to our hotel and we read the good reviews on here we thought we would treat ourselves to a nice dinner. The restaurant was empty when we arrived and when we left there was only another couple there, so it definitely suffer the influence of its very high prices.
We really wanted something healthy, so we went for the turbot fish special. It was served with vegetables and we were also served a nice cold tomato soup with fresh bread for a starter. I really liked the tomato soup, the bread and the flavoured butter that came with it, it was delicious. I must say I was quite disappointed with the turbot, it was served on a bed of spinach and lentils and there was a foamy sauce over it which was far too salty and it covered up the fish's flavour. The lentils were very hard, some of them were even raw... The whole flavour of the dish consisted of this saltiness and I didn't particularly enjoy it!
We also had a dessert, I can't remember the name of it but it was these nice cottage cheese balls with fresh fruit and homemade blueberry ice cream: delicious!
All in all the meal was okay, we weren't very impressed with the fish but it was counter-balanced by the lovely dessert, but we had a shock when we got the bill, we were expecting it to be expensive but not to this extent. For the food I've described and one mineral water we paid around €120. Now, I wouldn't mind paying that if the fish was delicious, but as it wasn't it was a bit disappointing! We went there for the experience but I would definitely not go back! I can have far nicer meals in other restaurants which are a lot cheaper!

• Visited July 2012

Salzburg
“amazing!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The elderflower soup is seriously the tastiest ever! I was shocked at how fresh and delicious this place was. According to the server many of the ingredients were grown in the land by the place. Lovely atmosphere and great service. I would recommend it to anyone. This is a high class restaurant however it wasn't nearly as expensive as I expected. The veal is also exceptional however I can say that everything I tried there was good (I even ate something with tuna creme in it and I am not a tuna fan and really liked it).

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Sarah T
“The architecture is beautiful but the food is even better .”
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

A good friend from Salzburg did not know the place but had positive recommendations so we went there. The food is fantastic , we were in the Asparagus season and I had there the best white asparagus until today. The "wienerschnitzel Von Kalb" that the tradition around this region, in this place is outstanding. This is what I call a restaurant with a soul , a place when the people really know what they are doing and care for the customers . If I force myself to complain about anything , the tomato juice I had at the bar had no pepper or salt but I don't know if this is the Austrian way.

1 Thank Waldyrs
Bilbao
“EXcelence”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

problable the best restaurant I went in Austria. Great mix of tradicional food and innovative one. Great wine list and an special mention to the sommelier. Thank you, you were great! Very nice terrace, if you have the chance, do not have a doubt, this is a perfect pleace. It is not close to the city center, but the bus line 6 will take you to the freont door in less than 10 minutes.

Visited August 2011