“I feel so, so let down!”
Review of Nabucco

Nabucco
Ranked #113 of 688 Restaurants in Salzburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Nabucco is no Verdi opera. This restaurant which is in Salzburg (Mozart's birthplace) will serve you fine food - not music. It offers a selection of traditional Italian dishes, for a real culinary treat. The staff are young and dynamic. Does a glass of wine take your fancy? The Nabucco has an extensive selection of Austrian and Italian wines. The dining room is cosy and bright with its arched windows. The restaurant caters for romantic dinners for two, private parties and business lunches. John Cadmann and his staff will make sure you are well looked after. A presto!
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Salzburg last week and tried to get into Nabucco the first night. Unfortunately it was fully reserved. The next evening we reserved for 7:00 p.m. and had no problem getting a reservation. We walked to the restaurant and were the first patrons seated. We ordered a bottle of wine and had our dinner order in by 7:15.p.m. We were the only people in the restaurant when we ordered. We were served a perfect Caprese Salad almost immediately. The rest of our order did not arrive until 90 minutes later. Our pasta was fair at best and the seafood accompaniments were grossly over-cooked. The incredibly lovely server we had said that the problem was the restaurant's small kitchen. I can't imagine how long it would take to get served if the restaurant was actually busy. All in all it was a major disappointment and I would not recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Excellent Italian food with good menu selection.Staff are attentive,helpful and polite.Food portions are good and value for money.Cooking is authentic and food served is delicious.Either go early or make a reservation for meals.About 15mins by bus no. 21 from city and 2 traffic junctions away.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

a great way to end the trip. The staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. The restaurant itself was also cute and quirky with the 3 areas having different atmospheres. The profiterole dessert was amazing-chocolate icecream on the outside of the pastry and finished the meal off nicely!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We recently ate at Nabucco while in Salzburg for the Christmas holidays. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. The service was fabulous. Since it was my husband's 50th birthday, the owner purchased a cake from the Sacher Cafe for us. Later, I found out that this Sacher torte is a Salzburg specialty. This extra effort and special service made our experience even better. Thanks for a great evening!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Tempted here by the near-ecstatic Tripadvisor reviews, I admit we were a bit doubtful about this place when we arrived as the entry is through a cramped, smoke-filled bar (yes that's right, there is no smoking ban in Austria). Off the bar area is one small smoking dining area, which itself leads to a second, similar sized non-smoking dining area. We arrived late and so there weren't many patrons still dining and hence the smoke from the adjacent rooms wasn't really an issue for us. I'm not sure what the smokey atmosphere would be like if full of diners.

Now I've got the smoking thing out of the way, on to the food: Exquisite. If this establishment is not in the Michelin guide, then the food critics need to get here pronto. The saltimbucco (veal steak covered in ham in white wine sauce) was the best main dish I've had in quite a while. The Tiramisu was equally stunning ... and contradictory. How on earth is it possible to make such a dessert that is both fluffy and light while being unctuous at the same time? Well, Nabucco did it. The choice of dishes is very reduced, but what they do is excellent.

The service is also top notch - knowledgeable and friendly. This place is worth the 10-minute walk from the old centre, through the tunnel, to get to. The prices are very reasonable too.

On the food alone, this would have been my first 5-star rating, but I put 4 because of the strange set up and smoking quarters.

1  Thank dg2006