“Charming old hotel-perfect location!!”

Radisson Blu Hotel Altstadt, Salzburg
Ranked #29 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
USA
“Charming old hotel-perfect location!!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I loved this historic hotel in the heart of old city Salzburg!! When I arrived it was quite hot & the windows were open & no air conditioner on, so the room was warm. Due to the construction of the hotel, the only air conditioner they had was the type that you had to turn on & put a hose out the window to vent the hot air. It took awhile to get it to cool down, but it stayed very nice the rest of our stay. That is the only negative I had, & I do like my rooms a bit on the chilly side. That being said, I would stay at this hotel every time I come back! It was a perfect location to go out the back door & out in the middle of the old city, approximately 1-2 blocks from the Mozart statue & a short walk to the lift up to the Fortress. You can walk out the front door & be at the Salz River & a short stroll & you are at the Mirabell Palace & Gardens! Their were many restaurants, markets, pastry cafes, shops, everything within walking distance from this hotel. I can't wait to go back to Salzburg!

Room Tip: We had a lovely view overlooking a street in Old Salzburg. There can be noise from the late night cr...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a very old hotel, like 800 years old, which gives it certain character and idiosyncracies. The location is great - with one entrance on the river and the other into the old town shopping districts - so it is very scenic and convenient. From what I understand, the rooms are all different sizes and layouts, but all are comfotable with nice bedding and decor. My room was quite large and over looked the river side. It had a dressing room and small office area in addition to the sleeping quarters. The bathroom had a seperate water closet and heated tile floors. My only complaints were lack if central heat/air, and some late night street noise from Octoberfest partiers. Nonetheless, i'd definately stay there again - the ambiance, reasonable rates, and central location more than made up for it.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MKK0524
Louisiana
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here in Sept, and found the place to be just as expected. A room for my mother, and one for myself. Apparently some other reviewers did not find this to be the case, but who knows what they were expecting. It's an 800 year old building. A resort, it is not. But therein lies its charm! The building is a delight, inside and out. I have read that the river-side rooms are noisy, but noted no such problems in my room, on the castle side. Both of our rooms were upgraded to suites by the helpful and very friendly staff - my mother enjoyed an executive suite. While we opted not to purchase the breakfast,the staff in the breakfast room/restaurant were very gracious in providing me my morning coffee with good nature and good will. There's a nice little cafe outside the back door of the hotel - very convenient, though there are many such places along the main shopping street just outside the door. The place is wonderful - I suppose if the lift only goes to floor 4, then you might request specifically not to stay on floor 5 if you have issues carrying your own luggage. Otherwise, the place, the staff, and the atmosphere were a pure delight. If you like a quiet out of the way place this is not for you. If you want to be in the heart of the Altstadt, please do consider this fine establishment. PS - splendid that all the giant old windows open in the rooms - keeps them fresh, and the street sounds are far from overbearing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GiveMeEat
Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Right outside the entrance is old Salzburg's most beautiful shopping street, the Getreidegasse with its ornate signs which indicate the type of business that particular shop is pedaling. As other reviewers have indicated, the shops close early, but pre-planning allows you to enjoy them when they are open and see many of the other sights available in this small city with Mozart @ its heart.

As for the staff, we found them to be more than accomodating and extremely helpful. For one like myself that has travelled without the idea of a "tour" ever entering my mind, I was surprised when my wife wanted to do so, after being questioned by the Concierge if she wanted to go on a Sound of Music Tour. What a surprise, in that I'm happy we took half a day to do this tour and see where the film "locations". Filled with insiders tidbits, the film came alive, going as far as the church where the Captain and Maria were "married" on film. This church was about an hour out of Salzburg in the Lake District and was worth the trip to see the beauty that surrounds Salzburg. Another surprise, everyone in the world knows and cares about The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews, except the Austrians!!

Our room was comfortable, facing the Salzach River, where as other people mentioned, sometimes at night with the window open, we heard party revelers late into the morning. Suppose I didn't mind so much, life in NYC tends to be "much" louder.

Overall, we loved the location, the staff, parking for our car and ease of getting around without the need for a taxi. We went out to eat in the evenings and found wonderful food, both in the Old Salzburg district, as well as just across the river, with a beautiful walk across many of the bridges. We would definately recommend this to anyone that is looking for good value and a wonderful place to venture out into beautiful Salzburg.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Did not appreciate the hotel staff, they were not friendly or very helpful. Barely spoke english. My husband brought 2 pairs of pants and 3 shirts down to be sent out and cleaned and asked how much. They didnt understand him. When we got them back cleaned the next day it was $48.00 Euros! We complained and they said yes they know it's high because they send them out. She said it was stated on the form the prices, which we never saw. They wrote the form up! The are way to many stairs with heavy luggage and nobody around to help. We had to walk outside in the rain to get to our room and back to the lobby. The two redeeming qualities was the windows opened for fresh air and the bed was comfortable. This is my 3rd time in Salzurg and first at the hotel. I would not come back here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

As I trudged up the stairs to the fifth floor (the lift only goes to the fourth) I thought, Oh no they've put me, as a single traveller, in some pokey garrett. However, while Room 505 was in the attic, it was a very spacious garrett and proved a comfortable room for my two night stay. The hotel is housed in a very old building that has been converted so there are always going to be some compromises (like the lack of lift to the fifth floor) but on the whole I thought this was a well appointed, charming hotel in a great location in the heart of historic Salzburg.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Arrived as party of four for a 2 night stay at this hotel. Upon arrival we were greeted well by staff and due to the hour of the morning, our room was yet to be made available, so our luggage was stored. The staff were only too happy to direct us towards the rear door which led onto the old town and shopping precinct. They also were good enough to supply us with a map and other items of interest. On our subsequent return that afternoon, we were informed that we had been all upgraded into rooms 212 and 216 which we found were of excellent size and very clean. The age of the hotel and its décor were consistent with being in the old part of town which was clearly not out of place and was of good quality. Walking past the clerks desks on numerous occasions, we were greeted by staff who inquired of our satisfaction in hotel services. Despite the mixed reviews on this site, we found the accommodation and service well above average, as was the value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends