“What a gem! Great location for Christmas Markets”

Hotel Goldener Hirsch, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Salzburg
Ranked #3 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Washington, DC
“What a gem! Great location for Christmas Markets”
Reviewed January 10, 2012

We like hotels with character, but we also insist that "character" include a modern, clean room with nice amenities. The Goldener Hirsch was such a great experience. You can't beat the location on the main shopping street. We were there for the Christmas markets and everything was picture perfect. Our room overlooked the street, yet sound was not an issue at all. The room was large, a nice upgrade since we were traveling with an infant and needed a crib. The hotel fit with the feel of "old" Salzburg--without compromising on comfort and luxury. We debated between The Goldener Hirsch and a notel across the river. Based on trip advisor review, we decided on the Hirsch, and I'm so glad we did. I would not have wanted to cross the river multiple times a day--especially for the Christmas markets. What a beautiful gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: a room on the street is ideal
2 Thank federalgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2012

A friend told me that the Goldener Hirsch was the only place to stay in Salzburg if you're willing to spend the money. It was expensive, but we only stayed for 1 night, so I decided to splurge. It was the complete opposite of the slick, contemporary hotel we had just left in Munich...but couldn't have been more appropriate for the location.

The location is perfect with everything in walking distance or literally right outside the hotel's front door. Our room overlooked the Getreidegasse, was very large, had a huge bathroom, and was decorated in a style very authentic to Austria. It was surprisingly quiet and we got a really great night's sleep. Service was absolutely fantastic from start to finish --- friendly, efficient, and felt very personal like you'd expect in a small luxury hotel. We had dinner in the adjacent restaurant affiliated with the hotel (Herzl) and really enjoyed our meal. The breakfast was lovely.

I've stayed at some great hotels, and this will rank near the top as one of the most interesting, historic, and authentic properties I've had the pleasure of visiting.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Really loved this hotel for many reasons, not the least of which was: Location, location, location! Imagine staying on the very street where Mozart was born, and it seems the Getreidegasse has not changed very much in the centuries since then. Step out of the hotel and you're plunged into time travel in the very best sense. Salzburg is a stylish and magical city, and Goldener Hirsch, a Starwood property, definitely reflects this image. On arrival, we were warmly greeted and surprised with an upgrade to a split-level loft room. It was low-ceilinged and cosy featuring stripped pine, exposed beams, and rag rugs woven in the hotel signature colours of forest green and pink. My 6 foot 5 husband kept hitting his head not only in the room but also on the main building staircase - but considering the building dates to the 1400s, what are you going to do? He compromised by taking the elevator. A couple of things to watch: we didn't think the breakfast selection was terrific, and one of the waiters who seemed to be scheduled every shift (morning and night), was not the friendliest person we've encountered (maybe the fact he was working back to back shifts had something to do with it?). We didn't think dinner in the hotel restaurant on our first evening was fabulous considering the cost, and on reflection would rather have eaten elsewhere, but we were tired after a long drive; and there it was. But overall, this was a really lovely hotel and we would certainly return. In fact, we can't wait.

Room Tip: The loft rooms are absolutely charming and have beautiful views ...
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The location of this hotel can't be beat. It's 'old style' Austrian hotel with a feel that I describe as 'relaxed elegance'. The rooms are nice, and sort of a 'lodge' feel - not real modern, but clean and comfortable. Service is outstanding and the main restaurant has outstanding schnitzel and other traditional Austrian fare (although it's a bit too expensive vs. other nearby spots). The rates I've found here are high - higher than they should be. I've also stayed previously at the Bleu Grans which is practically next door and it has a TOTALLY different feel - very modern/hip minimalist style but very comfortable. Rates were quite a bit lower there as well, but it depends on what you're looking for......if you want 'classic Austrian' style/feel then Goldener-Hirsch is worth the $$.

1 Thank MAB430
Phoenix
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Arrival to Salzburg:
We arrived at the train station in Salzburg and easily grabbed a taxicab to the Hirsch. No need to rent sedan/limo service or schedule prior transportation. The taxi cabs come in all different shapes/sizes with the drivers being very professional and qualified. The cab fare was E 7.50 for three people to the Hotel. I had some concern about arriving to the front door of the Hirsch. The Hirsch websites states you can only have front door access until 11:00 A.M which had passed and is mostly related to foot traffic on the normally closed street in front of the hotel. However, the taxi driver had a remote control which dropped a barrier to the street so he could drop us off right in front of the hotel. Within seconds, a bell man from the Hirsch was there to greet us and grab our bags for us. The process from train station to hotel was quite easy.

Check In:
We arrived early and the Hirsch staff was nice enough to accommodate us (which they did NOT have to). Upon checking in and maybe due to language barriers, I felt reprimanded having only booked a reservation for one and not three. I had reserved a festival room sufficient for three people from my research on their website. The front desk attendant apologetically advised there would be an additional E 65.00 a night fee for the third person which was totally acceptable. His apology to add the fee made me feel better after his comments of someone making a mistake (inference directly to me) with the reservation.

Room:
Within minutes we had checked in, escorted to our room and advised by the bell captain to watch my head due to the low doorways, stair cases and breakfast area. This was much appreciated as I am 6’8”. The hotel room was very quaint, clean and comforting. We had more than enough room and the bathroom was fabulous. As nice as the Wynn Encore in Las Vegas which we had stayed at earlier in the month and quite modern for a hotel over 600 years old. The bags were delivered almost immediately by the same bell captain at the hotel front door who escorted us to our room and whose mother is from Florida. His name escapes me but this young gentleman was very helpful during our stay.

Lounge:
Once settled in our room and parched from our trip, we relaxed in the charming, small but quaint lounge downstairs. Champagne was being chilled in ice buckets, luring us into to having a glass or two. We were surprised with the cost but negligent in our decision to check the pricing before we decided upon seconds as we were charged for E 16.00 for each glass. The service from the older bartender was great. But the experience should have set a precedence to check pricing for everything during our stay at the Hirsch.

Staff:
Everyone was very nice and greeted you each time, However, as other reviewers have commented not very personable but again, very efficient at their task. It is very tough to explain and maybe just culturally different than what we are used to. It seemed the staff is trained to deliver great service at all cost and not waste time on small talk or enter into discussion without first being brought into the conversation.

Breakfast/Restaurants:
Simply do not partake, overpriced and just plain average. Breakfast for two was E 64.00. I had ASSUMED breakfast to be included in my package as all my other hotels packages were during our trip but having travelled for five days, making the reservation two months in advance, along with the bell captain pointing out the breakfast restaurant on our way to the room when checking in, soon realized it was not when presented with the bill. This was my fault but still have to wonder why the bell captain didn’t point out the other two restaurants in the hotel and just the breakfast area when escorting us to our room.

On a side note, I witnessed a fellow hotel resident discussing her disgust with pricing over the breakfast at checkout. One day she was charged E 56.00 for two breakfasts and the next she was charged E 64.00 having eaten the same thing. A misunderstanding I am quite positive, feeling she was more upset by the overall cost to value than the E 8.00 price differential between the two meals. We did not eat at the two other restaurants but would again offer alternate choices to local restaurants and not a hotel restaurant. Not to say anything negatively about the hotel restaurants but a strong consideration to entertain other abundant choices in the area.

Overall Experience:
It must be personal ego but when I spend my hard earned upper middle class revenue, I enjoy the feeling of being appreciated and treated special in whatever way I am spending my ancillary income on (spas, airlines, lodging, cocktails and fine dining). Unfortunately, I did not have these feelings once while staying at the Hirsch. I was never asked how my day was, if I was enjoying my stay, if had dined in one of the restaurants, had tried their breakfast buffet, a martini or beer in the bar, greeted to have a nice day, etc. The Hirsch does offer professional service with acceptable social mores but nothing more.

My feeling, which was a huge disappointment is the Hirsch caters to high end sophisticated dignitaries, celebrities, and very important people with never ending disposable incomes. This was evident by the décor of high end advertising of purses and such in glass cases throughout the lobby, pictures of past VIP guests and celebrities in glass cases and frames throughout the entire common areas. They appear, in my opinion, holding onto their 600 years of history, special guests, and sophisticated past which they are proud of and that is alright if this is their goal and target market audience.

For reinforcing comparison, we were travelling with other family members during our stay who were staying at the Hotel Goldener Ente down the street from the Hirsch at half the price. When we stopped into meet our family members, the front desk professional advised us they had left for their son’s college dormitory to pick some things up, advised us they had been gone an hour and were to be back any minute, inquired if we were the family she had been hearing about, asked us about our stay in Salzburg, if we had experienced the markets, and many other things. This was all in a span of five minutes. It was quite refreshing from what we had been experiencing from our lodging choice.

We all have choices in life and very differently from one another in looks, economic status and culture. I highly recommend the Hirsch if you are in the top ten percent they are targeting and need to be shut off from the real world due to your famous or celebrity status. If you are like me who usually lodge with Marriott’s, Sheraton’s, and Hilton’s hotels throughout the world, my lodging selection will be with others the next time in Salzburg. There are plenty of local flair hotels that offer a much more personable experience without sacrificing a good night’s rest or the local experience of historic Salzburg.

Thank you for the two nights’ lodging at Hotel Goldener Hirsch; we will be back to Salzburg this summer but will be staying elsewhere. Please let me know if you would like a complimentary 8” by 10” glossy of my family to hang somewhere in your hotel. However, please be advised in advance of an E 100.00 fee that will be charged additionally for a personal autograph.

Grüß Gott

17 Thank David R
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This hotel is all about location as it sits right on the Getreidegasse, which is the famous shopping lane of this "Milan of the alps." The style is that of a hunting lodge and rooms are quite large and rustic in style. Ours had a long entry hallway with coat closets leading to the room itself which overlooked the Getreidegasse. I would warn anyone with smoke allergies about booking here, although they have smoke free rooms (and they are truly smoke free), the 2nd floor hallway between them is open to the bar below and the smoke can be overwhelming when going to and from your room. Also, leave your key at the front desk when you go out and about, as it's large enough to make a nice belt buckle!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew B
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Salzburg is a charming village -- touristy, ancient, pedestrian friendly, picturesque. It looks like a town from a Disney animated feature. It's a place you fall in love with (despite the Mc Donald's in the town center) and some crappy touristy stores.

There's almost no better place to stay in all of Salzburg than the Hotel Golden Hirsh. Its history, charm, ideal location and sleek service put you in the center of it all with just enough pampering to make this a luxury "cottage" hotel.

The staff isn't overly warm. Efficient would be a better word. They did make a major mistake during our stay--but failed to apologize, rather they sent a basket of fruit and cookie with a note, but not an apology.

Our cozy "luxury rustic" room was the perfect mountain "cabin" with a tiny living room and large bedroom (Jr. Suite). Unfortunately, as much of Europe, the King bed was two twins pulled together (the worst!), but the sheets and bedding made up for much of the inconvenience. The beautiful soft blue tiled bath was very large and the carved wooden doors perfectly charming.

The restaurants are a bit cold and could use some music, but the service and food top notch. There is also a thoughtful internet lounge with free Wi-Fi 24 hrs a day and a nice place to catch up with family back home or write a letter or email.

So, if you can afford it--this is THE place to stay in Salzburg. Period. If the cost is just too much, stay with the location and try the Best Western Elefant around the corner -- it looked cute also.

1 Thank TRVLtruth
GKrischek, Director of Sales at Hotel Goldener Hirsch, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Salzburg, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our hotel and write such a nice review for the Hotel Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg on Tripadvisor.
The fruit basket and the cookies we have sent to your room were a gift for the inconvenience you had during your stay. Please apologies for not talking to you in person at this moment. We did it not on purpose.
It would be a pleasure for us to reserve a room with a big bed for your next stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us in advance. We hope you enjoyed your stay and we will welcome you back in the near future.

Have a wonderful Christmas time with your family and friends.

Warm regards,