“Do not miss this. Spectacular views over the town. Either walk up or catch yhe furnicular. There is a restaraunt at Hera”

Salzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg)
Book In Advance
$87.32*
Dinner and Mozart at Salzburg Fortress with River Cruise
Ranked #3 of 177 things to do in Salzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: This amazing 11th-century castle overlooks Salzburg from a hill on the outskirts of the city.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Do not miss this. Spectacular views over the town. Either walk up or catch yhe furnicular. There is a restaurant at The top but the Stiegl beer garden on the way up has good view and better atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Salzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg)

Reviewed September 4, 2013

First of all, if you're going to be in Salzburg for more than 24 hours, it is well worth it to purchase the Salzburg Card. This compact city can easily be enjoyed in 48 hours time, and the Salzburg Card gains you quick admission to all of the major sites. Included is a ride on the funicular to the Fortress.
This fortress is beautifully maintained, and gives a great perspective on "castle living." Take the time to enjoy all of the nooks and cranies. It is also possible to take in an evening concert.
While at the fortress, we dined at one of the restaurants overlooking the city. It is one of our treasured memories of our time in Salzburg. The food and beverages were great, and were reasonably priced for the incredible view.

1  Thank riviera4me
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great Place to visit, its a huge castle with a lot of history in it, it seems unbelievable the way people used to live 600 yrs ago in a place like this. The fortress has fantastic views all over the city.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hohensalzburg defines the city -- magnificent on the top of the mountain, and especially at night when it's lit up. We walked, stopping on the way for lunch. (Nothing great to say about the food.) Fortunately in my opinion we returned by way of the funicular. We could have gone up that way as well, but we wouldn't have seen so much of the area on the way.

I gave it a five, because I can't imagine visiting Salzburg without visiting Hohensalzburg, but I don't remember anything sensational on this my third visit to the castle.

1  Thank Mona A
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you find yourself in and around Salzburg, the fortress is a must see. I've been to it each time I've visited Salzburg (3 times) and it's still cool to see each time I go. I find it amazing to think of the history of such a place and how big the fortress is. The views of the city and countryside are great, and the food is quite good too.