MEININGER Hotel Salzburg City Center
Ranked #30 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Wellington, New Zealand
“rose”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

the hostel is easy to get to, free wifi is good, there is a kitchen for people to store food in and a supermarket right next door! bedrooms are clean, and the hotel staff were mostly really lovely. it was cool in winter because the 6 bedroom room i booked just for me and had just two of us in the room for one night, the rest four people, so i was happy. there are vending machines and a lobby downstairs and i would recommend for groups of people or friends.

Room Tip: ask to be put on the street side of the building
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Longare, Italy
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is my second trip to Salzburg and my second stay at the Meininger Hotel and I am not disappointed at all. I checked the reviews that others had written before booking and had some concerns but now that I am here I am glad I booked. The rooms while small are clean and well appointed for the price. The bathrooms are spotless and the hot water plentiful. The staff have been super helpful, whether calling cabs or making suggestions or reservations they have never once even hesitated in helping. Some reviews complain about noise in the halls, well what did you expect from a hostle/hotel? Right now during my stay there are three soccer teams in the building but the only noisy area is the common room around the pool table. Overall this hotel is a great place to stay for a really low price when compared to many other locations in Salzburg. As a side note....there are two bus stops, a McDonalds, chinese food and a kebab place all within 350 meters of the hotel.

Room Tip: The family rooms feature two beds pushed together and bunk beds, sleeping for four easily. There is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sanddiver44
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with 6 ppl. Per night was 12,5 euro!! Hotel was super clean and comfy :) the kitchen was nice and modern. You have to share the kitchen but luckily not much ppl used it so we can enjoy our dinner easily ;)

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel was very easy to find, with a brilliant staff service and comfortable bedrooms. We felt secure in the hotel as room cards are needed to access the elevator. There's also an easy access to the town with the Obus services as the stops were only right opposite of the hotel. You can also get the Salzburg card in the hotel which was very convenient. Everything else was good except the internet services. It was rather troublesome to use as there was only a two hour limit and you had to go down to the reception to get the log in details again to be able to access. It was a good stay nonetheless.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bournemouth
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed at the hotel fro 2 nights on a short break and we were thoroughly disappointed by the hotel!!
To start we had a family room, which must have been the smallest family room in all of the hotel as we were seriously cramped in there, with the smallest table and wardrobe ever!!! The bathroom was ok although we only had 2 shower towels even though we booked for 3 people to stay in the room.
As far as the WiFi goes... the advertisement is very contradictory on booking.com (where we booked) and in the hotel itself, where they even give you a key card holder saying that FREE WIFI is available anywhere in the hotel.... but of course the WIFI only work in the lobby... so get that sorted... either fix the problem or do not advertise free WiFi anywhere in the hotel, as this was the only way for us to stay in touch with our family and friends as we were in the middle of a very long trip through Europe.
The thing that made me angry the most is that on the last day of our stay we found out that we were allocated a room in the "hostel" part of the hotel, this was not confirmed anywhere on our paperwork neither were we charged a more convenient price because of it.
All in all I would never stay here again and I would not recommend it... not even to my worst enemy.
Oh! I nearly forgot.... there is a play area for kids, made of a dirty old piece of carpet with some wooden blocks!!! Seriously???

Cairns
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We are a family travelling with two young children. I thought I had booked a hotel as the name suggests. This establishment is a hostel suitable for young backpackers. Aside from the ridiculous price we paid for a very small room ($175) (no breakfast), we were constantly disturbed by young drunk backpackers. One night we were awoken at 3am and for an hour we had to listen to screaming, swearing and the kicking of our door. I tried to ring reception but no answer. I entered an elevator with my kids, only to hear loud music with swearing. The rooms were clean but the staff ranged from very friendly to extremely rude over the 3 nights we were there. I would definitely not recommend this establishment for families, unless you enjoy a hostel environment.

Room Tip: If you have a family, the rooms are ridiculously small. 4 small narrow beds, two of which were bunk...
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived at the hotel late after our flight was delayed into Munich on 27 December 2012. When we arrived the receptionist said he didn't have a room booked under either my name or my partner. He finally found it and it clearly said on the voucher we had a double bed plus a bunk bed. There should have been kitchen but this wasnt the case. To our complete surprise we had a tiny room at the end of the hallway. One double bed and nothing for our child. I went downstairs to ask about the room we had paid for, only to be informed they had given our room to another occupant. There were only two towels and no bedding. The receptionist reluctantly came upstairs and gave us a towel and bedding and said we could make up the sofa as a bed. Nothing like home self service! We were still making the bed at 2am. We were grateful for the free breakfast and the late check out but it was a bad nights sleep in a tiny room. I guess once you have a bad experience it clouds your judgement overall about the hotel. Unfortunately I can't give this one any praise.

Room Tip: Suggest you confirm TWICE before you arrive that they have sufficient beds for the whole family
1 Thank AussieLawyer29