“One of the best things I did on our 2 week vacation!”

Fraulein Maria's Bicycle Tours
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was really torn b/w the bus tour & the bike tour - I am so happy I chose the bike tour! This bike tour took us places the bus tour couldn't & that I wouldn't have had a chance to see on my own. Our guide was very enthusiastic & knowledgeable & our group was the perfect size - about 12 of us. We learned things not only about Sound of Music but Salzburg as well. We biked through beautiful scenery as well as parts of historic Salzburg. I couldn't believe that I was actually seeing settings from the movie right before my eyes - I had a smile on my face during the whole ride!!! Drivers there are very courteous, yielding to pedestrians, & I found it very easy to keep up with our guide. I don't exercise on a regular basis but am in decent shape - I found the bike tour to be just right from a physical standpoint - there was only 1 steep hill that most people walked their bikes up, otherwise it was no problem between the terrain & the photo stops/explore breaks we had. Another cool thing is they take pictures of you & load them to their facebook page where you're able to access them & share. I can't recommend this enough! (Plus, the exercise you get on this tour makes you feel a little less guilty about the strudel you'll eat later!) :)

2  Thank Jenny B

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Went on the tour with my fiancé who is a huge sound of music fan. I had seen it as a child but truly don't remember much. The tour was fantastic for anyone, even those who just want to experience something unique. Our tour guide was very good . We went on a Sunday morning so the city was quite empty which made the biking even better.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a very good tour and our tour guide was great. We biked through some beautiful areas and it was a great way to see Salzburg and the Sound of Music sights.

This tour needs an age limit. There were 3 children under 8 on bikes with my group of 20. The six year olds could probably handle biking for 3 hours, but they certainly could not handle biking across roads and through busy pedestrian areas. Our guide was forced to spend a lot of her time babysitting the children on our tour - which made the whole experience less enjoyable for the rest of us.

Our tour lasted over 4 hours, instead of 3.5 hours, and we were all tired of the kids taking over the tour guide's attention.

Our tour of 20 people also felt a bit too big, I can't imagine biking with 40 people. Instead of blindly accepting money, this tour needs to put limits on their group numbers and the children's ages. Encourage kids under 8 to ride tandem with their parents.

2  Thank KatieIllini
Reviewed October 25, 2013

If you like the Sound of Music movie at all, you must do this tour! Our 23 yr old daughter had taken this tour three weeks before we arrived on vacation, and she liked it so much, she did it again with us!

I can't tell you what I liked the most about the tour ---Seeing the SOM and old town sites or getting to be outside the city in the gorgeous countryside on bikes, or hearing the history of Salzburg!

Our tour group consisted of about 12 persons, mostly between ages of 20 - 55. The biking with gears was not difficult at all, walking up one steep hill and the rest flat. It was certainly better than walking!! Every bike has a basket too for personal belongings.

We had a slow group so we ran over time. Our tour was closer to 41/2 hours. They were not slow because they couldn't pedal, they just took 40 pictures at each stop. I didn't mind, but it did make for a late lunch and others were getting tired. You will stop a couple of times if you need to use a bathroom or get a drink.

Note that there is like no place to eat closeby the meeting site, so be prepared to be hungry after the tour, and walk to find food back in old town. We had no problem driving into Salzburg and finding the convenient parking garage right at the meeting place.

Our tour guide did stay mostly in front, but she had to lead. She was very personable. You see most sites from the outside only, though we did get to go into the abbey church and spend about 15 min at Hellbrunn.

This is one of those experiences that will never be forgotten! It was fantastic!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our trip to Germany/Austria. Biking is a fun, easy, efficient way to see the sites. It's more than just about the Sound of Music, it's history, Austrian culture, and more. We even got to stop at a dairy farm and drink fresh from the cow milk. Everyone who can ride a bike should take this tour. There were a few steep hills to ride up but most of the riding was on flat land. When you finish the tour you have truly experienced Salzburg and The Sound of Music.