“A high point in a Salzburg visit”

Fraulein Maria's Bicycle Tours
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We did this late afternoon tour in early July. The large group was split into two smaller ones of about a dozen people each. The first part of the trip was in the Old Town, with frequent stops at buildings used for shots in the movie. There was one brief up hill ride to the convent. The rest of the trip was downhill and then on flat terrain. There was also much more riding than stopping on the second part of the trip as we traveled through the countryside. The riding was not strenuous and took advantage of the extensive bike trails in the Salzburg area. The trip took about three hours. Participants should bring their own water or purchase it during the break at the catacombs early in the trip as there are really no good options to do so after that.

Date of experience: July 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,576)
All reviews
"great fun"
in 84 reviews
"favorite things"
in 36 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 37 reviews
in 34 reviews
"visiting salzburg"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Had a great time with my 17 year old daughter on a very, very, cold and rainy day in July. The rest of my family gave up and went to a cafe but we powered through it and had a great time. We stopped at all the main sites and took pictures in the poses that were seen in the movies. There are cards on your bicycle that show snapshots from the movie of the actual spot you will be standing in. Saw places that were down small roads that I don't think you would be able to see on a bus and we were able to quickly get off our bikes and strike a pose. Our guide was fun, knowledgeable and very energetic even with the poor weather. Highly recommend

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Fabulous bike tour. Guide (Emma) was great. Patient, informative and all around fun. Tour was broken up into three different groups. She made sure everyone was together and had a great time

2  Thank lisa34438
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I went on Fraulein Maria's tour this past Saturday. There were many people there to take the tour (maybe 50 or so), but we were split up into smaller groups. Our tour guide was relatively new with the company, in fact this was her first morning tour she had done), but Melissa was extremely fun and eager to show us the sights from the movie, as well as many other sights in Salzburg.

I had read all the reviews here on Tripadvisor and was really looking forward to taking the tour. To cut to the chase, this was the highlight of my short, but tour filled trip to Europe. I am 53 and had not been on a bicycle in at least 15 years. I was a little apprehensive, but I was not going to let a little fear stop me from this trip. I am so glad I did too. What a cool way to see a new city and the tour brought back so many memories of watching SOM with my mother over the years (this was her favorite movie). One of the highlights of our group was that we had two college girls who were in Europe studying opera. They were very talented singers and they sang as we peddled. When we got to the gazebo, they "performed" I am 16 going on 17 with one playing the part of Liesel and the other singing Rolf's part. What a treat that was!!

I would highly recommend this trip to anyone. There were a few people older than me and they did great. We even had a few children who made the trek with no problems at all. I even ALMOST made it up the big hill, but came up just a little short...No biggie there as most of the riders simply walked the bikes up that part. The rest of the journey was a piece of cake...even for this out of shape 50+ year old!!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I highly recommend this tour! My husband and I booked this quite far in advance and were looking forward to it, but I have to admit I was a little nervous since I hadn't been on a bike for over 20 years. I was pleasantly surprised to find that within about 5 minutes, I was pretty confident... it really is true that you never forget how to ride a bike! The tour was so much fun - my husband was particularly excited about all the SOM stops and info, while my favorite moments were just riding through the beautiful city and countryside, and the many opportunities to take photos. Stops were interspersed well, so we never felt winded or tired. There was one very steep hill where many people walked their bikes, but that wasn't a big deal. Our guide, Stefani, did a great job. After the tour was over, we walked to a restaurant and still had time to hike to the top of Hohensalzburg Castle for a beautiful view of the city. We took several tours in a variety of cities in Europe, but this was definitely our favorite way to explore.

Date of experience: May 2013