“3 Stars - But Read The Review...”

Mozart Dinner Concert
Book In Advance
More Info
$71.81*
and up
Mozart Dinner Concert Salzburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to MOZART DINNER CONCERT in the Baroque hall of the monastery cellar St. Peter in the heart of Salzburg! By visiting our performance you will be taken back to Mozart's time. Enjoy an evening likely to have taken place in 1790 - in the baroquehall - lit by candles, having a dinner based on historical recipes, listening to a concert with musicians in authentic costumes and the music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I am going to give the Mozart Dinner Concert an average of 3 stars. To preface my review, we attended a special performance on 12/30, so the holiday performance may have been set up a bit differently and/or may have been busier than normal.

Venue - 3 stars. The music venue was a really nice room with great acoustics. It is well decorated with what one might consider period tastes. The venue gets 3 stars because the table set-up is not ideal. The tables are set up so that 1/2 of the table has its back to the musicians. Turning the chair around was made difficult because the tables are set so close together. This was a particular point of difficulty for a lot of people. My advice, get there early, and if the maitre'd tries to place with your back to the front, ask for a different seating arrangement. The coat check is not attended so that was small annoyance with trying to find coat rack space. Also, the room was so hot as to be uncomfortable. Make sure to layer and have the ability to shed coats, jackets, etc.

Music - 4 stars! The singing was really good.

Food - 3 stars. We had a 4 course meal that was table-served. The idea is for each table to have their domed plates placed and a group of servers all get together and at one time reveal the food. Nice idea, but it was kinda kitschy and not very well executed or received. The food itself is what one might expect at a wedding. Okay, but nothing memorable (although I did enjoy the soup). Drink prices were very reasonable.

Service - 3 stars. There didn't seem to be enough servers. I waited over 20 minutes after being seated to give our drink order and then the server was not to be found when I needed to place another order - probably he was off "revealing food" for another table.

Pricing - the cost was reasonable.

In all, because of the table set-up, the comfort level and the service, I give it an overall 3 stars. It was not my favorite outing in Salzburg, and if we were with a group, and with some better service and seating arrangement, this could be a 4 star attraction.

A couple of hints:

1. Get there early so you can get a good seat. It doesn't necessarily need to be in front, just facing forward would be helpful.

2. Dress on our night ran from jeans and sweaters to tuxedos and evening dresses. Business casual seemed to be the norm for the guys, a combination of dresses/skirts/etc. for the ladies.

3. Have patience with the service. They really try to make it an experience but come up short.

4. Find the venue in advance as it may be difficult when dark. When you walk in, you'll need to go upstairs - just ask and you will be directed.

3  Thank Sciz_Milson
There are newer reviews for Mozart Dinner Concert

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was so glad my friend and I did this. I know some might consider it a bit touristy, but being a violin and piano player (and being that I'm a Mozart lover too), I thought it was just great. We were in Salzburg a couple of years ago and this was one of the things I researched prior to visiting Austria. The evening was cool and rainy, and while waiting for our reservation, we wandered the nearby squares and even took a stroll through the cemetery that is adjacent to the concert site. The bells were peeling richly through the evening air from the nearby church and it created a truly magical setting. I think the drizzly evening only added to the ambiance. I though the dinner was excellent and I enjoyed how they spaced out the performances between each coarse. The baroque room in which it was held was beautiful too. I thought the performers (both musicians and singers) were great. A super evening.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

An excellent dinner in St Peter's with a wonderful, accomplished string quintet.
The Baritone and Soprano were really good.
Mozart at its best with good food and excellent service.
A night to remember and well worth the visit.
And it snowed to ...er...put the icing on the cake!

2  Thank GOG316
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We walked from our hotel in Old Town, the Elefant to the Schiftskeller St. Peter, the oldest restaurant in Europe. There was another couple standing there and we were unsure where to go. There were no directions on the sign outside. Fifteen minutes later someone said to go upstairs. We walked up and we were led into a beautiful baroque room filled with white tables, candles and opulent chandeliers. We were seated near the front of the room with a young couple from Zurich. Soon a few other people joined our table, 3 friends from England and a woman from Australia. We had a traditional 18th century dinner. The first course was a lemon creamy squash soup and then baked chicken, carrots, bread, and a ricey side dish. The dessert was semi-frozen and delicious.
The quintet and singers were dressed in 18th century costumes and wigs. The singers walked through the small audience as they sang Mozart's most popular pieces. Truly it was like being back in time.

2  Thank pixietrout
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was a very nice night. First show like this I'd ever been to. The location and setting was great.

The food was nice, but unfortunately not as good as I'd expected.

The music was lovely, but as it wasn't in English we missed some of the 'jokes'. All of the locals laughed at few points throughout the performance, so this was lost on us. Still very enjoyable though.

1  Thank chocolate85