“Its good, but first understand what you want.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Haus Steiner

Haus Steiner
Ranked #7 of 60 Salzburg B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Its good, but first understand what you want.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed there in early June for 3 days. We had a car. The B&B feels rural, but that is because of the spread out nature of Salzburg. There is a regular bus into town, and no problems to access it. The B&B is comfortable. Nice rooms with an en suite bathroom. Not huge, but did the job. Our host was very helpful. Her English was excellent - my German is almost non-existent. She was very helpful. I think having a hire car to travel around the area made this so much the better. Old Salzburg city is interesting, but a day will see most of it. Further afield there are many interesting things (Salt mines/ Hitler's Eagles Nest etc ... listed elsewhere in Tripadvisor). Haus Steiner was a good stay. Clean and supportive, and it felt rural.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
san francisco
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We returned to Haus Steiner for the fourth time in as many years. Frau Steiner works hard to please. Her cozy rooms are immaculate and she will do whatever she can to make us comfortable.

Frau Steiner’s neighborhood is on a flat greenbelt set at the base of a steep mountain that forms the border with Deutschland. We love sunrise walks in this rural, mixed-use, well-planned neighborhood: farms, houses, and light industry.

We enjoy to lovely views behind Haus Steiner and the delicious restaurants in the immediate area.

Room Tip: rooms facing the rear of the property
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelblogger1221
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Haus Steiner is located some 20 mins (by bus ride) from the city centre, which was its main draw for me and my fiance as we liked staying in places away from the hustle and bustle. I looked through the photos on Tripadvisor and the view of the Alps from the balcony was what made me go ahead to make my reservation. The directions given by our hostess, Rosemarie, were clear and concise and brought us right up to the street of Moostrasse, a quiet neighbourhood populated by locals. Bus 21 takes you right to the main sights of Old Town and it always came on time. I would also recommend buying the Salzburg Card from Rosemarie as it allows you free travel on the public transport within Salzburg as well as free entry to a number of wonderful attractions e.g. Untersberg, Hohensalzburg.

Haus Steiner is a beautiful, well-kept establishment with 4 rooms on the top floor. We were very satisfied with the standard of cleanliness in our room, yet it did not come across as "sterile" as some hotels would. We loved how homely and cozy it was. The room overlooked the front of the house and it was aired daily whenever the room was cleaned. As we read the reviews mentioning bugs, we made sure to close the windows as soon as we returned (even the small bathroom window!) so we never had a problem with bugs (though we were greeted by a spider in the bathroom the day we arrived, which we returned safely to its web outside the window, but hey, it's all part of the experience of nature!) The beds and pillows were comfy, the heaters worked well and the shower had good pressure too. Some people complained about the small size of the shower but being petite Asians, my fiance and I had no issues. We had ample storage space and we appreciate the free tea/coffee given though we did not consume it. We really couldn't believe that we got such a good deal at only EUR29 per person, which includes breakfast and taxes.

Rosemarie was a wonderful hostess who greeted us cheerily every morning at the breakfast room (located downstairs and had a beautiful view of the Alps). Breakfast was a generous spread of cereals, bread, cheese, fruits, yogurt and cold meats. Rosemarie made sure that all her guests had enough food and beverage to go around. We also enjoyed interacting with the other guests in the breakfast room very much. If you had any queries about Salzburg, Rosemarie would answer you to the best of her ability. We were so impressed with her hospitality and Salzburg's beauty that we were tempted to extend our stay for one more night at the expense of one night in Vienna, but sadly we did not do so as we wanted to keep to our itinerary and regretted very much till today. There is just so much beauty in Salzburg that it was impossible to enjoy it within just 2 days.

Interestingly, we booked a tour to the Hallein Salt Mines during one of the days and on our way back to Salzburg, our guide drove us through Moostrasse, telling us that Moostrasse is the longest straight road in Salzburg and is somewhat a protected area to preserve the greenery around the Alps. This meant that the residents could only built their houses 70m from the road and not any further... which is the reason why you see the expanse of greenery in this area. We went to explore the area further and even got to see cattle, horses, sheep and chickens up close in the farms.

We are definitely returning to Haus Steiner when we come back to visit Salzburg again to enjoy the beautiful views of the Alps and Rosemarie's wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank applie_bleu
Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed May 13, 2013

we just were lucky enough to spend 2 nights in Salzburg with Fräulein Stiner at her wonderful b b . The house is located in the country, but is Rey easy to get to by bus which is what we did. the rooms are large very clean and a very good value!
The breakfast is wonderful and the air so clean when you are looking at the alps !
You are in the country , but the two gasthaus in the area have great food at very good prices.
We had a very nice stay and hope to be able to see the b b again !
Mike & Cindt

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We found Haus Steiner through TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. Rosemarie and her husband are very charming and helpful. We stayed two nights and then came back for another night before flying to the USA and our hosts were very accommodating to our schedule. Haus Steiner has a lovely view out back and is very quiet and clean. We enjoyed the breakfast and also Rosemaire's helpfulness in making dinner reservations for us and advice on where to look for special items in Salzburg. It is very convenient to get into Salzburg from Haus Steiner. We would return happily.

Nancy S.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Godollo, Hungary
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have planned a surprise vacation(birthday gift) for my husband last year in 2012 to Salzburg (Austria). Rosemarie asked me to send her - a certain amount of - wire transfer payment (deposit) for reservation. Of course I did not have any objection to this as it is a totally normal procedure in most B&B. I have completed the wire transfer payment, but in a few month later I had to make an urgent trip to Canada, therefore I had to cancel my booking at Haus Steiner. I asked Rosemarie if I could postpone my holiday booking for next year(2013). She kindly said ok, but reminded me to send her an email at the beginning of 2013 to rebook my holiday. At the beginning of 2013 I was overtaken by her email, kindly reminding me of my deposit.This was a very kind and honest gesture from Rosemarie. I made a reservation for us from March 22-25,2013. Upon our arrival Rosemarie was greeting us at the house. She was very kind and helpful throughout our visit. She informed us about the bus schedule without asking her, and out of convenience we bought the Salzburg Card which she sells at the house. We recommend this card for everyone who visits Salzburg. It offers lots of free visits to many museums and attractions and it includes the bus transfers as well.This is a great value for your money.We were out and about all day, so when we asked Rosemarie she was kind enough to make dinner reservation for us at Reiterhof Moos Restaurant which is walking distance from Haus Steiner.The restaurant is always full, the food and the service is great, therefore we recommend everyone who would like to dine there to make a reservation ahead of time(same day is ok). Be prepared to pay by cash only. We enjoyed our stay at Haus Steiner, the place was quiet -eventhough Rosemarie had other guests-it was clean, warm, the location is excellent, and the breakfast was tasty and satisfying.The B&B is about 15 min from the city center and about 25 min from the trainstation. Everything is easily accessible from Haus Steiner.Some attractions were closed due to the season,therefore we could not do everything we wanted to do.Haus Steiner is a pleasant,simple but cozy little place with a great price. We are planning to go back to Salzburg during the summer, and I am sure we will stay at Haus Steiner again. Thank you Rosemarie for your warm welcome and for being a great host. We will be back again :) Norbi & Agnes from Hungary

Room Tip: Room 3 has a mountain view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norbert S
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Great location, great room (the bathroom is little bit small...) very clean, breakfast and wi-fi.
the hosting was terrific thanks to a wonderful person, rosemarie, the owner of the place.
Great value for the money!!!
Based on staying 2 nights (my wife and I) at the haus steiner b&b.

• Stayed March 2013