“It's all down to taste, but at this price no problem!”

Hotel Palais Porcia
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Klagenfurt
Sleaford, Lincolnshire
“It's all down to taste, but at this price no problem!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

As other reviewers have pointed out this really is the rococco palais themed hotel. You either like the look or hate it. I decided to stay here because of the kitschness of the place. Who wants an identikit experience on your travels?

To come to the essentials, the location is ideal, rooms a decent size and all the conveniences you would expect at this rating are provided. The A/C struggled on my visit but Klagenfurt was experiencing record, 34c, temperatures. Indeed once I had learnt not to put any sign outside my door - the green side does not mean service, apparently, this was also solved. I was on a side street side of the hotel and was kept awake by a noisy bar below on one night after the Euro 2012 matches, but once A/C solved this was not a problem. In general the centre is very quiet.

Breakfast room charming, but windowless as others have pointed out. What an opportunity was missed to offer a view over the square as you ate breakfast. Instead you can gaze into a mirror or try to catch a server to order coffee, sometimes good cappucino, sometimes not, and a short menu of egg dishes and bacon and sausages. Even Sekt is on offer if you want to a drink with breakfast - note to hotel misleading to call it champagne on the menu but impressive nonetheless. Fresh fruit salad was also on the buffet, next to the pastries and cake.

Staff are friendly, obliging and fluent in several languages. There was a slight nervousness from a couple of members of staff but I would like to offer my thanks to the receptionist who kept me company whilst I talked and drank in the bar after midnight and she said she was practicing her English. I do apologise if I talked too long.

The bar was always empty during my visit, but could be fun and is a good size for a meeting. The welcome cocktail is a slightly weak bucks Fizz but it is a nice gesture.

Finally, the price, I paid 70 euros a night booked through travel republic with breakfast and at that price it is a steal.

A pleasant stay in a hotel of real character. There are a couple of minor issues but really if you are going to be that picky, you may never be satisfied.

Room Tip: Upper Floor and, paradoxically, at the front overlooking the square, based upon my experience- see r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TomSleaford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
Iceland
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Not the most inexpensive of lodgings for sure but well worth it. As other reviews have pointed out, the front desk is not on the street level, but easily accessible via an elevator. We ordered a normal room but were upgraded to a suite without asking. The interior is as good as the pictures at their website make it look. The suite was extremely luxurious and well decorated, the breakfast perfectly presentable and all of the staff spoke english so there was never a problem of any kind. Again something that has been mentioned in other reviews was the excellent front desk staff, they went out of their way to help us locate some local businesses we were looking for.

We booked this as both a treat and an adventure for one night as we were travelling to Steiermark and needed an overnight stay in Klagenfurt. Our expectations were completely satisfied on all accounts and to top it off the central location made it irresistible for us to spend the morning walking around the downtown area which is both interesting and has good shopping as well.

For chocolate lovers there is a small tea shop a few stores down from the hotel (same direction as the traffic) that sells among other things excellent quality chocolates from various Austrian manufacturers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LoneWolfGroup
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at Palais Porcia. The decor is very ornate, not unlike that in the castles and palaces you can visit in Germany and Austria. I felt like I was staying in one of King Ludwig's castles which I liked because I LOVE castles. If you like modern decor this is not the hotel for you. The entrance is a little unusual because when you enter from the street you find a sitting area and have to take the elevator one floor up to reach the front desk. The sleeping room was large, beds comfortable, very clean with a modern, large bath with tub/shower. The TV did offer CNN and I believe one other English station. The front desk staff were so nice and helpful, especially Nina. Everyone spoke English so it was very easy to ask for anything you needed. The front desk manager went out of her way to figure out the least expensive parking options for us. The parking is across the street in the city lot but the hotel offers a discount. The breakfast, which was included in the rate was very good. There was a full spread of items including, cereal, fruit, pastries, meat, cheese, breads, juice, etc. and also a menu where you could order eggs cooked different ways, bacon, sausage, etc. I was greeted promptly and with a smile each morning, offered coffee, and my order taken if I wanted more than what was offered at the buffet. The hotel is in the center of Klagenfurt across from the Neuer Platz so it is a great location for seeing the city, shopping and dining. Even though our room was an interior room and the window opened onto a rooftop they had put garden statues out so you had something pleasant to look at.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a special bed check out their website to view the different options.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingMarf
New York City
Reviewed May 31, 2008

This hotel is certainly unique, it reminded us of a bordello, with red velvet everywhere. Our room was large, actually a suite, with 2 rooms & the breakfast was OK. It is located centrally. I was told the TV had some English stations, CNN, etc., bit it didn't (I do like to catch up on the news & weather when traveling). I guess that is why we were given 2 complimentary small bottles of sekt. This was quite expensive for what we got in comparison to other places we stayed in.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank MrsK
Luxembourg
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Good location in town centre.
Interesting decor if you like boudoir type (but that's how it's advertised).
Crumpled fitted carpets and average breakfast buffet not matching 4 star standard.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business