“it closes at 1700, even in summer”

Spanische Hofreitschule Bundesgestut Piber
Ranked #19 of 104 things to do in Graz
Dayton, Ohio
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 331 helpful votes
“it closes at 1700, even in summer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

If you are wanting to get a full experience of these amazing horses, then show up in the morning. We did not arrive until 1500 and all the horses were already in the stables. Still had to pay 12 euro per adult though. You don't have to be on an organized tour, and they are all in German anyway. In fact, you can walk around for free if and go into the museum, and if the horses are in the yard, then you could see that for free as well. (The paid ticket is for the stable). My wife and kids really wanted to see this, and they had a blast as the horses are quite friendly (you can touch them). I'm indifferent to horses so all I kept thinking was 24 euro for 2 is expensive!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank DaytonJG

USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Piber Farm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

I planned my trip to Austria with a must see of the Lipizzaners. I made a side trip to Piber to see the birthplace of this tremendous breed.

There was a very unfriendly supervisor at the stud farm's desk. She had a person at the farm that very minute who was American by birth but, because I had not made reservations for an English interpreter, the supervisor refused to let the person join the group leader I was assigned to (German speaking only). The supervisor argued with me and the other American for some 20-30 minutes about who was and was not allowed to lead or join "the group" of some 3-4 other individuals. The American said she would tag along (without pay - off the time clock) to help but that was not okay with the supervisor.

I ended up with a group leader that was more intent on flirting with one of the stable persons. I doubt that other groups are treated with as much disregard. I have Lipizzaners at home in the USA and was very interested in the breeding stock; we saw 2-3 mares with foals being taken out to pasture and 2-3 stallions in their stalls. That was about it. The rest of the time was spent hanging about the barns listening to idle chat.

I was rather disgusted with the treatment of visitors, the disregard and disdain towards visitors and the poor judgement of the supervisor for not allowing an employee to help in such a situation. This surely did nothing to promote this amazing breed of horse. I won't be back to Piber anytime soon.

3 Thank kabuky
Sacramento, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Great if you like horses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

If you like horses at all, you will love the stud farm at Piber. (If you have seen the Lipizzaner stallions perform at the Vienna Riding Academy, you will find it awesome!) This is a very interactive location, where you can see horses being trained, shod, exercised,and stabled. The white mares with the little black colts are very endearing.

1 Thank ecblisa
Houston, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The beauty of Piber”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2007

The Piber Stud farm is an experience not to be missed, if one has any affection for horses. We visited it in the Spring of 2003 - the entire area around it is lovely - verdant, green, forested.

Our group was mostly Germans/Austrians, and the tourguide ensured that we {my husband & myself, the only Americans} understood what she was explaining to the 'main' group.

The old monastery buildings are beautiful. The Lipizzaners themselves
are THE most "people-friendly" breed of horses I've ever seen - as the outer doors to the stall areas are opened, the horses start kicking their stall doors, to get the attention of their visitors. They all try to gain one's attention, to have people talking to them, petting them.

The mares that are "in foal" and near term are together in a field near the hospital complex; they come running to the fence for the same degree of attention that the stalled horses want. The ONLY area
where they tend to be shy and stand-offish are the areas where the mares with their young foals are - the youngsters are shy, and their mothers stay with them.

If you have the opportunity to visit the Graz area of Austria, please
avail yourself of the chance to meet these magnificent animals. Graz itself is a rather fairy tale town - with the Alps visible from every angle, I kept hearing "the hills are alive ......................"

10 Thank DiamondMair