“Excellent food - and I should know”
Review of Restaurant Hathi

Restaurant Hathi
Ranked #54 of 648 Restaurants in Graz
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Innere Stadt
Graz, Austria
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food - and I should know”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I know good Indian food, and having spent time in India, London, and San Francisco, I have to say that this restaurant rates up there with the very best. I ordered the Madras Lamb with Basmatti rice. It was medium spicy, and oh so full of flavor! The serving size was enough for a full meal by one person, but could have been shared by two eating lightly. The meal cost around 14€ - quite reasonable.

Sitting outside in the square was pleasant, except Europeans tend to smoke a lot, which interfered with my enjoyment of the food. Service was spotty and I had to wait to draw the attention of the waitress. I had to go inside to ask them for the check at the end of the meal - and she could have smiled more, but the meal itself was worth it for these minor nits.

My other companions, one an American same as I, and the other an Austrian local, both enjoyed their meals immensely, and we all expect to return here shortly.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank phoenixrevived

“Salty food !! Worst service and food we ever had at any indian resturant, including India”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I ordered a veg + meat thali and my husband had a tandoori chicken with rice. The only thing we can consider good was the chicken which was nice and well cooked (still salty). I dont know what was about adding a lot of salt in every thing, but a reason i could think of is reheating again and again. It was just not the abundance of salt, we had veg kofta which was as sweet as a gulab jamun would be. Nan was reheated with no butter or ghee flavour, n sweet rice with melon seeds was not good either.
Above every thing, we were not even greeted anytime while we came in or went out. Atleast a smile would hv shown the courtesy. Instead they kept staring.

I am never visiting this place again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Shashi B
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Ate here earlier and despite the previous poor reviews thought it was very good. It's in a good central location and the service we received was spot on. The food came in generous portions and very tasty. Reason for not scoring higher was thought it was a little pricey (although no more than anywhere else in Graz) and the sauces that came with the poppodoms were a bit funky tasting - they weren't typical English ones and my husband found quite spicy.

• Visited August 2013
Mainz, Germany
“Decent home cooked style food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We consider this the best Indian food in Graz. It's not the best I've tasted, but when craving good Indian food, it fills the bill. The staff is quick and friendly, and when we used to live in Graz, we had a habit of meeting here for lunch because the buffet is ready, so it's quick & easy. Considering it's now been in business a number of years, many would agree it's good food. They made a larger buffet with more selections since we were last there. The food is hot & fresh. The indoor part of the place is quite small and usually filled at lunchtime. There is ample outdoor seating. It's located right behind the Dom in the inner city.

• Visited August 2013
Graz, Austria
“Disastrous”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I went to restaurant hathi last week and ordered the buffet (although 3 types of curry sauce, bread and rice and a salad, not a buffet!). the food was completely cold and didn't taste indian at all. The staff were unbelievably rude and unfriendly!! one of them told me why do you take so much plates!!! eat in the one you already have!!!!!
I don't recommend this restaurant to anyone unless they have 8,5 euros to waste and get insulted for taking too many plates!!!

• Visited August 2012