“Quite stylish”

Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia
“Quite stylish”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Doesn't look like much on the outside but it is quite stylish on the inside. The rooms are very modern and feature a glass shower facing towards the bed. That being said the hotel is more or less suitable only for people that are really close, brothers and sisters excluded :)

The hotel is situated a good 10 minutes walk from the center but as the main train station is right in front of it you can simply hop on the tram to get to the center. There is also a grocery store at the train station, if you feel (like I do) that the breakfast at the hotel is a bit overpriced.

The best thing about this hotel is the sauna, which is free for all the guests. So for the price we payed we were more than happy with everything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Weitzer-Hotels, Manager at Hotel Daniel Graz, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hello from Graz,
thank you very much for your visit and for taking the time to write about your stay on Tripadvisor.
It is good to learn that you enjoyed the design of our interior and rooms.
For people prefering more private atmosphere we offer rooms without glass shower. Please, let us know your room wishes on time with the reservation.
Regarding the breakfast we offer a rich breakfast buffet to a fair rate.
We hope to welcome you very soon and wish you all the best.
Best regards, the Daniel-Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed only 12 hours there but nothing was like it seams. They have a caffe bar 0-24 and after midnight they turn lights off, there is no music nothing. Wifi is very bad, speed is like old 54k modem all time. Bed is very uncomfortable, sheets are iritating. In the mornig maid knocked one time and imideatly enterd to our room like Kremer from"friends" :). I payed 59€ for smart room, and there was that breakfast is 11€ per person. I don't want to pay such money for breakfast and I told them that I don't want to eat. Two ladies didn't want to speak with me in english and they only asked me my room nuber. I was confused and I told them my number and they matched in paper and told me go to eat. Finaly I eated my breakfest. When i was checking off lady in recepcion with perfect english told me that I can not choose room without breakfast. Finaly I payed 81€ for night for two person. For that price can find beter service in Graz.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Weitzer-Hotels, Manager at Hotel Daniel Graz, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Nikola,
thank you for reporting on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to hear that trouble during your stay forced you to write your feedback online her.
It really seams there was nothing you enjoyed in our hotel during your stay, we feel deeply sorry about that.
We would like to apologize that our maid desturbed you in the morning and for entering immediately in the room.
Regarding the bed we are surprised as normally our guests sleep very well.

Be assured nobody has to have breakfast without wanting it. There must be a big misunderstanding. Our guests decide if the want to have buffet breakfast at the rate of EUR 11,00 p.p. or not. They even can decide in the morning. Our breakfast rate is one of the cheapest you can find in a hotel in the whole town.
Our breakfast staff is only asking the quests after entering the breakfast room for the room number and ask them to have a seat.
The lights in the lobby are only turned down after midnight but never turned off.
Please note that the well-being of our guests has always first priority!
We would be very pleased welcoming you once again, we remain with kind regards from Graz, the Daniel-Team
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Positive things - very delicious and varied breakfast; very nice lobby; Vespa for rent for just 15 Euro per day.
Negative thing - rooms are quite old, not cosy and require some cosmetic repair; location is too far from the city centre (remark - too far for us since we do not like to use public transport and prefer walking, but 15 minutes' walk back to the hotel at the evening seems to us too long distance).
Ok for one night but I would prefer another hotel within my next trip to Graz.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Weitzer-Hotels, Manager at Hotel Daniel Graz, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Izamaria,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and the design of our lobby!
Our rooms are getting renovated on a step-by-step basis throughout the year. We are very sorry that the design of the room wasn’t “cozy” enough for you.
Looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Graz! We are sure that we will be able to surprise you the next time.
The Daniel-Team
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Hotel Daniel, Graz is well located for access to tram to old and new city, supermarkets, McDonalds (if that is your thing), and bus/train transport centre for Austria. Funky, modern design, with great breakfast for €12 and Vespas for hire. Downside was room was too hot, even without heater on, and mattress very hard, pillow too soft and doona/duvet too hot too. Would give it 3 1/2 stars if rating allowed.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2012

After staying at the Hotel Daniel in Vienna, I had high hopes for the one in Graz. Unfortunately, this hotel does not even fit the description of it's own website. First, it is in a crummy location where you need to walk about a mile (or take the tram) to find nice food. There is a derilect Spar grocery in the adjacent train station for which you have to walk through a construction site at the moment. You can't rely on the hotel because there is no kitchen, although they do serve a fairly good buffet style breakfast.
When we arrived, we had to enter though the basement entrance because of the construction and this was far from a warm welcome as we had to wait in a smelly corridor for the tiny elevators to take us to the reception. We learned that the Internet wasn't working and when I asked the staff person at the reception, she said it would be fixed the following day (it was a Sunday), but didn't care to offer a time of day. It wasn't fixed until late afternoon that next day, which is extemely inconvenient for a business person. When I asked if there was a cafe with wi-fi near the hotel, she asked the other staff person on duty, who merely shook her head and shrugged. After dropping my bag, I wants hunting for wi-fi, and sure enough, there was a cafe with wi-fi right across the street.
They advertise a 24 hr bar, but they turn the lights off around 1am, discouraging anyone from even entering the lobby. Both the sink and the showerhead had leaks in my room.
It was quiet at night and the bed was comfortable. The "smart room" was a good size for one person. I would discourage couples from renting any of the rooms since the bathroom is designed with a sliding door, so if someone is in the shower, the toilet door is open and vice-versa.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nieuwenrode
Reviewed October 29, 2012

It's really a good hotel for a small price. The rooms are not that big but it's okay.

It's near the city centre and near the station! Good location and not noisy! We we're afraid that it was noisy but absolutly not!

A good bar + good breakfast!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bremen, Germany
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been here twice, once with my partner, once alone on a business trip.

Don't bother the staff. They are not helpful at all. They don't want anything to do with you. They only want you to pay the bill (which may not be very small).

The lifts are very very small, not good if you have a lot of luggage, otherwise it is ok. And you need to rent the parking spot in advance, otherwise your other chance is a parking lot a few minutes away.

Do not share a room with a friend, and also for couples is not really optimal - the shower has a glass wall, which could be kinky for couples, but there is only 1 sliding door, so either the shower door is closed or the toilet is: not optimal if someone needs to answer a nature's call while the other is in the shower. If you sleep alone, it is a good choice.

I think the hotel Daniel tries to be alternative somehow, even though I really missed what they want to communicate. Apart from this, I found the rooms confortable, clean and big enough. I had a good shower gel in the shower, had the luck of not facing the main road hence slept well enough (also I was there on the weekend, so no noises from the works at the station), I like the fact that the shower is so big, and the breakfast buffet is very good and plentiful.

In short: I may go back there when I travel to Graz, but I will be prepared to not receive the best treatment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business