“I used to come often but..”

Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Venice, Italy
“I used to come often but..”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I am afraid I shall seek for the future a different Hotel in Graz.
The charm of the Hotel were the not too renovated, huge rooms with the antique furniture. The prices were a bit high, but altogether acceptable. And the restaurant was ideal for a light dinner after a full work day. This time the breakfast service was appalling, with the staff letting me wait 25 Minutes for a boiled egg!!! When I dared to complain, the waitress said that it is unfortunately always the case with eggs .. the she brought me the egg without pepper and salt and left me alone...
Of course you can laugh on such things, but it became less funny when for two subsequent nights I was denied a regular dinner, the first time because on Monday the restaurant closes at 20.00 and when at 19.18 I asked for the menu card the waiter, visibly annoyed, said that the kitchen was about to close and that only the bistro menu (which is not much better than the food you get on a train) was available. He invited me to come the following day and another waiter - in spite of plenty of tables being empty in the bistro side of the restaurant, refused to serve me the regular menu (distance between the different sectors about 1.5 meters!!!!) because I had not booked a table. If there is something that I cannot stand, it is the stubborn and the lack of flexibility. There are plenty of good hotels in Graz, where the restaurant staff is eager to work and welcomes regular guests. No need to go to this one any more, at least for me ..

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Dermatologist55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Split
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We chose this hotel almost entirely on the basis of its location - right in the centre of the old town - but all other factors were enjoyable. It is a classic old central-European building with high ceilings and large rooms down labyrthine corridors but it has been splendidly modernised and now has all the characteristics of a comfortable 4-start hotel. In spite of the city-centre location the rooms were very quiet and the beds were extremely comfortable. Breakfast was copious, with great choice and well-presented. Choice of TV channels wasn't the greatest but with old-town Graz right outside the door, who needs TV. As an additional incentive, the Royal Garden Jazz Club is about 10 minutes walk away. Great Jazz every Friday night.

Room Tip: Each room seemed to have a unique decor ccording to its use in the original palace.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlies D, Manager at Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Dr Tim,

thank you so much for your feedback.

We are very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

With kind regards

Marlies Deligny
Hotel Manager
Nyon
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is very centrally located. It is a charming old hotel with creaking floorboards and nice decorations. I had a single room and that meant a single bed.. not often we see that nowadays.
however the bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The Shower was a disappointment - I could not get hot water out of the shower head - only from the bath tap - so ended up taking a "shower bath"
I ate in the restaurant in the evening. The Steak tartare was too sweet tasting for me - but nicely done. I had some schnitzel which was really nice.

Breakfast was a bit more than basic - not quite what I would expect from a 4* - but all you need really.. some hot dishes, some cereals, few different juices etc - great breads though.

The charm of the hotel is really in the old fashioned style and it is worth going around the building to take it all in. Some lovely touches here and there - the "courtyard" which is the restaurant/brasserie with the piano was really nice in the evening.

There is a bar across from the reception where you can smoke cigars.

Staff was very nice and helpful with all my questions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Split
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Excellent location, classic design, good size of room and bathroom, good value. Important to say: with A/C - we have found that many hotels in Graz do not have air condition.
We had all we needed for pleasant stay. We will come again.

Room Tip: If coming by car be sure to find out on time exact entrance of hotel's parking.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Erzherzog Johann is a traditional 4-star hotel in a good and central location in Graz. The hotel isn't anything special, but you get what you pay for, which is acceptable 4-star standard - decent service, good breakfast and working and free W-LAN, although not super fast. Rooms are reasonably sized, some of them with comparatively large bathrooms, however sparsely decorated with furniture somewhat tired. The hotel promises character, but the rooms are devoid of any.

Nevertheless if you are in Graz on a short stay, looking for a hotel in a central location and happy with a clean room and good bed, Erzherzog Johann isn't a bad choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Over a week ago I booked a room at this hotel for 107 EUR, mainly since it was very near my early meeting tomorrow morning and looked decent online. Today I found out my reservation was cancelled, but this didn't stop them from keeping my 107 EUR and putting me in a hotel far away that I could have reserved for 69 EUR. So they make 38 EUR off of me without doing a single thing. I was told by the hotel I was put in by PHEJ that PHEJ was overbooked, and when I talked to PHEJ on the phone not a mention was made of any problems at their hotel, just that when I come back they will give me a free room upgrade (whoopdeedoo). After the booking agency contacted them they then said there was no hot water (booking.com by the way). So, this is the last time I use booking.com and the last time I come to Graz.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel that will actually give you a room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Marlies D, Manager at Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Sir,

I understand you must be very upset and disappointed and I would like to say how awfully sorry we all are!

Due to some unfortunate circumstances we had to change your reservation to another very beautiful hotel close by. There you saw the offer of their summer sale, but during your stay this room was even more expensive than in our hotel.

Once again I sincerely want to apologize to you and I reassure you that our guests are the most important to us!

With kind regards

Marlies Deligny
Hotel Manager
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Lovely romantic atmosphere right in centre of the historic town of Graz. Kind and friendly service. Recommending breakfast at the charming Franciskaner Platz or the view from the department store K&O's roof terrasse or from Schlossberg. Visit in Steiermark to Riegersburg and Totter Chocolate factory recommended.
Only minus was poor WLAN connection. WLAN need upgrade to provide proper service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple