“Unexpected Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Steyr B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Unexpected Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

While I had staid in this hotel some years ago I was not expecting much from this stay. Unable to get into one of my first choice hotels, my agent booked this one. I checked the "Trip Advisor" reviews and then had concerns that the hotel had changed since my last visit. Well, I was unexpectedly surprised and can report that during my stay there was none of the lacking of service experienced by others.

This hotel is located about a 15 minute walk outside the old town centre of Steyr, and is located beside, but not serviced from, one of the main roads out of town. You also pass under the railway lines as you approach it from town. All of which does not give such a good impression. However once there you find a modern building that is adequately maintained. There is limited parking on the hotel grounds, but there is also an overflow car part close by. On the lower floor there is a small swimming pool. Quiet a surprise for a hotel in this area.

For me there was no delay in checking in and the greeting was cordial in good English.

My room was located facing the main road, but the traffic noise never proved a distraction, nor was I woken by it. This room was large. It had it's own walk in dressing room, lounge, bedroom and bathroom! Not my normal level of accommodation when I am away! The room was clean, and although not in the flush of youth was well maintained. My only real criticism was the lingering smell of cigarette smoke. While this was not strong it was a continuing underlying annoyance to this non smoker.

I did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, but did take breakfast. This was a cold only selection of local breads, meats, and cheeses, cereals, fruit etc. All self service.

Overall this was a good stay. I would have no hesitation to stay again unless I knew I had to walk into town when the weather was bad. I suppose there are always taxis somewhere! It was an unexpected surprise this one.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Muchtravelled1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

On the Intternet this hotel might seem ok but trust me it is not....it is just for old folks groups, very old, terrible service, a very long walk from the town center, no point in staying there.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank babyili

Travelers are raving about these Steyr hotels

brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

Don’t go there! What a disappointment! Staying here was a bad experience! Avoid this hotel!
Entering the hotel lobby was like entering a smoky pub. It is allow to smoke almost everywhere at this hotel!!!
The receptionist does multi tasking job of receiving new guests on check in as well as being a waiter and a barman. Poor service!
On our arrival we noticed the closeness to the railway and the main road and made sure our request for a quiet room will be respected. We requested to double check it and after few minutes of joggling with the room spreadsheet, the receptionist assured us that the room he is giving us is quiet. Guess what? We couldn’t sleep most of night because of the noisy traffic coming from constant passing trains and vehicles. It was an old style room with old TV, very poor internet reception to none (we requested a room with internet connection when we booked the room 2 months in advance!) and no active phone line!(we had emergency situation that night and we couldn’t get help from reception as we couldn’t contact them on the phone). Apparently some of the rooms do have good internet connection, but we couldn’t get a different room, as they were fully booked.
Location is a good 15-20 min. walking to city centre. The hotel restaurant was nothing to write home about and breakfast was just ok. No tea-coffee facilities in the room.
The only good thing at this hotel is the spa centre. It is of a good standard!
We wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone and definitely won’t return there in the future!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple