“War is the baddest things in this world!”

Mauthausen Memorial - KZ-Gedenkstatte
Private Day Trip to Mauthausen Memorial from Vienna
Ranked #1 of 76 things to do in Linz
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“War is the baddest things in this world!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hard to explain how I feel but for me was good o learn about past... About war, about how bad between humans done to each others... I would like to gave biggest respect to ll prisonners who suffered from this place. Please people, ... Try to give love and care to each other then war is no need for us anymore...

1 Thank Behambiland

• Slovak first
Denmark
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Certainly a place that should be visited but a little disappointing.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I agree with much of what the recent reviewer Uggla2012 had to say. This was my main reason for visiting the area and it entailed a 18 hour train journey to do so. From Mauthausen Station there were no taxis so I walked it. Boy was that tough in searing heat, about 6 or 7 kms' with the final stretch uphill.This may sound a bit churlish after the prisoners had to do the same journey without being able to leave.
However, I found the place somewhat sanitized. It all looked as though it had been 'done-up'. Obviously many are old buildings and need some repair but it seemed as though nothing appeared to be in anything resembling it's original state.

We don't visit these places to feel comfortable and it's hard to appreciate the inhuman way the prisoners were treated when it all looks a bit too fresh.
The walk down the steps to the quarry was tough going in the heat so goodness only knows how the emaciated prisoners used to get up and down there after a tough day and on starvation rations.
Earlier this year I visited Auschwitz which left an lasting mark on the memory and the conscience, with large areas being pretty much as it was at the time of liberation. You really felt that people had endured unspeakable degradation and hardship beyond our comprehension there. Mauthausen may have been just as awful or possibly even worse but I never really sensed it.

3 Thank PeterDane
Caen, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“whats the strange idea to restore mauthausen!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have read and heard a lot about mauthausen, but did not expect to see that all the signs of former prisoners are gone. They used to write on the walls in hope to leave some information to the relatives that may be some day will know that they were there. Now all "barracks" are renovated, look similar, like ikea products. The famous "shooting room" with the signs of the boolets on the walls is compleatly renewed and look like an ordinary bathroom in an ordinary house. I think it was the worst thing to with thr memory of all 120.000 prisoners that die there - to destroy everything they left.

4 Thank Uggla2012
London, United Kingdom
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Unbelievablely well preserved piece of history...”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

With €15m spent at the Mauthausen Memorial site already and more planned, this is a must see for anyone remotely interested in WWII.

You get the feeling it is in a transitional period with the map & audio-guide feeling a little old (some parts listed on the map are now inaccessible) and the ultra modern museum with photos displayed up until last year but it doesn't take away from the experience.

I can't get over why it's only a €2 entrance fee, it could easily be more.

To really absorb all the information and tour the complete site, this is an all day attraction although 4 hours would be adequate.

Note it's not in Linz, it's about 20km from town.

2 Thank David P
Lansing, Michigan
144 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Emotional Must-See”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stopped to tour Mauthausen as I was traveling by train from Melk to Salzburg. It was a little complicated, but it turned out to be easier than I had expected. When I arrived in Linz, I asked the train station attendant to call a taxi for me, and I made arrangements with the driver to pick me up in time to catch my next train, about 3 hours later. Judging by the narrow, twisting roads, it might be a bit tricky to find it in a car on your own. You are able to check your bags in the ticket office.

The museum is excellent, a lot of fascinating information about the history and the operation of the camp. I wish I could have spent more time in the memorial gardens, but it was raining at the time. Each country who had citizens who were interred here has a section, and it overlooks the Stairs of Death. You can take the stairs down to the quarry if you like, though it is quite a long ways.

Seeing the camp is emotionally difficult. The barracks were haunting -- for me, it seemed intensified by the fact that the surrounding area is such beautiful countryside. I will never forget how I felt when I realized what the shower-like room I had just stepped into really was. The execution building was one emotional punch after another. It's not for the faint-hearted, but I'm the sort of history-buff traveler who firmly believes that I should see the ugly as well as the beautiful.

Visited September 2012