“Must see it to believe it”

Mauthausen Memorial - KZ-Gedenkstatte
Ranked #1 of 73 things to do in Linz
Leeds, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Must see it to believe it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

i visited there years ago with school, and i must say it made an impression but i think kids are not equipped to take in fully what happened here. (that might be a good thing)
I came back a couple years ago with my wife and the whole place made a completley different impression.
The exhibition and area are very well presented and maintained, for the rest you have to go and find out for yourself.

Visited August 2012

• Slovak first
Perth, Australia
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Amazing and very emotional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We cycled up the hill to the Mauthausen memorial and museum in Mauthausen. This memorial is extremely memorial in our holiday and certainly not a place to be missed.

After paying the few euro entry fee an audio guide is supplied which includes accounts from those who attended mauthausen concentration camp including what happened during their time there. The artefacts, audio guide and numerous plaques gives you a very emotional and impression of what the camp would have been like.

Next door, the museum contains numerous first hand recordings which we would have loved to experience, but were drained and out of time.

Certainly not to be missed. We spent two hours here and could have easily spent the whole day.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Dan B
Penang, Malaysia
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“A lesson to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I came here for the first time when I was 17, on a school trip. I am still grateful: I learnt a lesson I'll never forget - how humans can lose their humanity and become beasts to other humans, and how it is every person's individual responsibility not to forget what happened in Germany (a country I love) 70 years ago. When you forget the past, you're condemned to re-live it. In its horror, this is a place for teenagers - so they'll learn to treasure history's lessons.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Stefano M
Saskatoon
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Oh My....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

this is one of those places that you want to go to just because it really makes history REAL. The "fort" is situated in a beautiful area in that, when you first arrive you don't think about the horrible things that must have happened there, you only concentrate on the beauty.

The price is VERY reasonable as they want people to come and see and REMEMBER. We asked for the audio tour (free) to accompany our visit. The audio really makes the stories come alive albeit a little long. I did skip through some of the parts as they were redundant.

We started at the Memorial statues. Many countries have erected statues to honour and remember those who died at this place. They are breathtaking not for beauty but rather for horror. I immediately began having gratitude for my life and the ease of it.
Once you enter the camp, there is an eire silence even though there are people around. The photographs served as reminders this was not just a story. I began to feel the heaviness of the place. You see barracks where hundreds of men were forced to stay. You see the autopsy table where you know bodies/lives were mutilated. Be warned, you see the crematoriums where people have memorial candles burning but also serve to remind you of the deaths.

I am glad we stopped here on our way to Salzburg as it is so important to remember. It is not a happy sight though and we drove away not being able to see the beautiful countryside for many miles as we each remembered and thought and prayed.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Lesley M
Targoviste, Romania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Sad”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I'm sure the ratings here have no value. This is an important historical site. It was my first visit to a concentration camp and it was overhelming. So many emotions overflow. We git there by car, they have free parking for 4 hours which is enough to see everything. Entrance fee only 2 euros. Don't forget to ask for audio guides. The most disturbing of all were the pictures inside and the execution rooms. You could almost feel those poor souls trapped inside, tormented eternally. I'm not trying to be poetic, it's monstruous what happened to those people.
Must visit and near it there the satellite camp from Gusen.

2 Thank Aerandria