Pension Sarstein
Obertrauner Hof(Obertraun)
Great 4.5/5
Gjaid Alm(Obertraun)
  • Restaurant
Gasthof zur Post(Bad Goisern)
Average 3/5
  • Pool
All reviewsparking arrangementswonderful hostsbreakfast roomexcellent viewoverlooking the lakestayed here for nightsshort walk from the ferryqueen bedour honeymoonbeautiful placeroom was largeisabellapensionbalconytownloungerslaundry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during our two week trip to Europe, if given the choice again, we would have stayed here all 2 weeks. Klaus and Isabelle, the owners, were amazing hosts. Every room at Pension Sarstein has a private balcony facing the lake with an incredible view. The rooms themselves were large, clean, quiet and the perfect home base to explore the wonders of Hallstatt and upper Austria.

We loved the huge lawn on the bank of the lake, and spent our afternoons lounging in their chairs, taking in the lake admiring the ducks and swans gently swimming by.

Every morning we were greeted to an incredible sunrise, a lovely/fresh Austrian breakfast, and the always smiling Klaus in his lederhosen and yodeling background music. Klaus gave us great suggestions of where to eat, off-the-beaten-path destinations like Loser mountain, and was extremely welcoming.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony facing the lake. We paid for the cheapest room with a double bed and a private bathroom and shower across the way. It worked out well, not worth paying more.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aaron P
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Wonderful hosts, very helpful with hikes, things to do. Bicycles available to use: we rode around Hallstatt to Obertraun for a day trip, wonderful bike trails.
Beautiful pension, large room with balcony, oh what a view! Very clean, shared bathroom.
Delicious breakfast.
Hallstatt is a great town. Lots of outdoor activities, the area is just spectacular.
The train stops across the lake and a ferry takes you across, the ride is beautiful.
A great experience. My husband and I will return here someday (stayed sept 2012).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank liana71
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Klaus and Isabelle were our hosts in one of the funnest places we stayed on our 10th anniversary trip. Klaus is an absolute gem. He made us hard-boiled eggs each morning and gave us terrific advice on when to take the five fingers mountain tour including the ice cave. Klaus and Isabelle were wonderful hosts who we had fun talking with.

Please keep in mind this is a bed and breakfast, not the Ritz Carlton. The towels are air dried so Snuggles the fabric softener bear will not be making them soft for you. Hand soap for the sink and/or the shower was not provided but we are certain it would have been had we asked for it. Everything else was so lovely that we decided to just buy a bar of soap and enjoy the stay.

The location is great. Hallstatt is not a huge city or anything so we walked to the parking lot every day of our stay and it was about a 10-15 minute walk. There is a shuttle that runs there throughout each day so if you're not able to or interested in walking to your car, Klaus will call the shuttle for you and you'll be all set.

Walking in Hallstatt does require that you be aware of when cars are coming because it's a one-lane road going right through the middle of town and cars and pedestrians must share it. That said, the vast majority of cars going through town are dropping off or picking up tourists. The highway is above the main road so none of that traffic goes through the middle of the town.

The views out each window and balcony at Pension Sarstein are simply stunning. Hallstatt was a favorite stop for us on our two-week trip and we genuinely enjoyed staying there.

If your'e like me and internet connectivity is important to you, there are some challenges to overcome here. There is high speed internet but it's only available in the office and sitting room on the first floor. The Wi-Fi in these two rooms does not extend beyond that area at all. If you need internet connectivity in your room, I would recommend using a tablet or smartphone and tethering your other devices to that from your room. If there is good weather, you'll probably have little need for internet connectivity in your room because you'll always be walking around this lovely town or taking in the views from a window rather than browsing the web.

Overall, this was a must-see location in Austria for us and it delivered despite the terrible weather we had. Pension Sarstein is a great place to feel like you're living in Hallstatt!

Room Tip: The top room has its own bathroom and was well worth the price in our opinion.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kurtsterr
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was a little bit leery of booking here given a couple of stories I read about problems booking, but overall it was the best decision I made all trip. The couple (Isabelle and Klaus) that run the place absolutely made our trip amazing. They helped us with maps and suggestions of trails to hike-- and knew which ones were closed and which ones were the scenic ones we couldn't miss. For me this was huge as I had spent hours online trying to find this information without luck-- but after sitting down with them for 10 minutes I knew half a dozen trails to take and where to go. They were the most helpful people I can remember dealing with in a very long time. I'd highly recommend this place to almost anyone. So, let me get to it:

THE GOOD:
--Klaus and Isabelle: Very knowledgeable, ridiculously nice and helpful with everything from maps to bus times.
--The room: Ours was spacious and gave us room to unpack without tripping over everything
--The view: From our small balcony we were practically leaning over the lake. Easily the best view I'd had while sipping on my morning coffee
--Klaus and Isabelle: Did I already mention them? Well, I need to mention them again. They were great. They let us borrow two bikes to ride around the lake and on some back trails around Obertraun. One of my favorite afternoons by far.

THE MEDIOCRE:
--The location if you don't like walking. It's a bit on the edge of town and a ways from the ferry stop. But if you're okay with a bit extra walking, this isn't a problem at all
--The balcony was a bit small, but it sat two people and a bottle of wine, so, again, this isn't really a big issue
--The towels- they were a bit hard and rough, so just a heads up if you're sensitive to things like this
--Lots of stairs... but this is going to be the same at anywhere else in town. I am only mentioning as it might be a concern for those with mobility issues.
--Deposit: I had to arrange for a bank transfer into their account. It was a bit of a hassle as I've never had to do this before, but it worked out okay in the end. If they could find a way to use PayPal or something similar, that'd really make the process much, much easier.

THE BAD
--Nothing. Really. Nothing. The couple running the place were nice, as we managed to take the wrong train and arrive after normal check-in times, but they were there to greet us at the door with a smile. The helped up organize hikes in the morning, dinner in the evening and everything in between. I guess that's really what separates this from many of the other places I have stayed is how nice and helpful they were. Without a doubt they were a big reason on why our 4 days in Hallstatt were so amazing.

Overall, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. If you have room for a few days in your schedule and can book a room and manage to figure out how to transfer money for the small deposit, I can pretty much guarantee this will be the best and most relaxing leg of your trip.

Room Tip: Make sure your room comes with a balcony overlooking the lake, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Schruminator
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

When you alight from the boat at the dock, you should walk towards the right to reach the guesthouse. While the guesthouse is not located around the market square, the entire Hallstatt is pretty compact and it is definitely worth it to stay at this guesthouse. On the way from the dock to the guesthouse, you will pass by the spot where you can take very nice photos of Hallstatt that includes the mountains, lake and church. The guesthouse is clean, cosy and nicely decorated, and the hosts are extremely friendly and helpful. We had a room by the lake and the view was magnificent. I enjoyed simple yet nice breakfast by the lake. You may also borrow bicycles from the hosts to cycle around Hallstatt or even to the nearby town. I really had a wonderful stay at Hallstatt and Guesthouse Sarstein! Strongly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2013