“Lovely Gasthof overlooking Halstattsee”
Review of Gasthof Simony

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hallstatt
Gasthof Simony
Ranked #16 of 16 Hallstatt B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Gasthof Simony is centrally located in Halstatt right on the lake. It is a traditional guesthouse offering lovely rooms with balconies overlooking Halstattsee lake. Take the opportunity to rent a boat and mooch around the lake as well as taking in the morning sun after breakfast laying on one of the guesthouses deck chairs overlooking the lake.

Room Tip: Room 4 (double) has a lovely balcony overlooking the lake!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank justdoit2105

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Our stay here was very nice. The room was clean and quaint. We had a lakeside balcony that was shared with two other rooms, and the view was beautiful! The door to the bathroom was broken, so we couldn't shut it, but that was no big deal since it was just my husband and me. There was a nice spread for breakfast each morning and free wi-fi down in the dining/reception area. The floors are wooden and creaky, again, not a big deal. Valentine was helpful with our questions. We really enjoyed our stay in Hallstatt. It was a nice break after being in the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I decided to book one night here on the recomendation from my Rick Steeve's guidebook. We had the room directly over the sign of the hotel. The room was horribly dirty including hair ALL over the blankets, and the bathroom/shower was moldy and musty. Being a 450 year old hotel, I don't expect things to be perfect, but clean is definitely something that can be controlled. I was very disappointed in the hotel for the price. We overlooked the square and found it to be a nice view.
This hotel is DESPERATLEY in need of some updating. I would not stay here again. Try the other hotels in the area that are ranked higher than this one, and I am sure you will have a great experience It is a beautiful area that makes a great one night stop.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I've made reservation 3months ago and she confirmed a lake view with balcony room 105Eur/night.We had room number9 at the corner face to the square.It's not lake view!!!Grandmom said no any rooms now and everyrooms is the same price.Actually i know it's not truely for same price.I need no more,just be honest to the guests!!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Louisebear
Reviewed June 15, 2012

The views in Hallstatt are nice, but so is the whole region. Not worth the trip. We stayed at simony during our visit. We had the corner room overlooking the square, nice view of the hills from our window. The room was clean, and beds were comfortable. The floor did squeak, and you could hear the church bells and some noise from the squar, but not loud. Pretty sure you would be able to hear the bells anywhere in town and almost all small hotels in Italy are not as soundproof as they are in the US.
Breakfast was quite the spread! Good pastries. Warm reception

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate B
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Wanted to go to Hallstatt for years....finally made it there but without a hotel reservation. Wandered through the town looking for a room and came upon Gasthof Simony. Perfect location as its in the middle of Hallstatt. The front lobby and first floor I liked alot, with the sitting area so cozy! The room we got was upstairs facing the lake and had a balcony. Was so nice sitting out there looking over the outdoor eating area and lake! Absolutely stunning views! As it's an old building, as many are in Hallstatt, it is kept up pretty well considering it's like 200 years old! It adds to its charm I think! No complaints whatsoever! One negative I had though was the size of the bathroom...it was tiny. I've been throughout Europe alot and I know and accept the fact that bathrooms and some hotel rooms are small, but this one was tiny. I was ok with it, it surprised me, but it did its job. There is no car park at the hotel nor any others in the town I think, so you have to park in a carpark which is a nice 10-15 mins walk. The upside is the stunning scenery that you pass as you get to the hotel. There was a shuttle that you can get to pick you up from the car park after you checkin, which we got, but with the crowded, tiny streets with tourists it almost would have been better to just walk. Had supper outside right next to the lake when we were there, it was very good! Add a bottle of wine to go with it at sunset and it was truly magnificent! I would stay here again for sure! In the rown there are numerous rental shops where you can rent electric boats or paddle boats. We chose the paddle boat. Was fun for the hour or two that we had it but would get the electric boat if we were going to be on the water for a full day as it would have been faster to see more of the lake. Sure was beautiful in the areas we did paddle to though! I'm sure there were more areas of the lake that we didn't see that are beautiful as well. Next time its the electric boat though for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake so you get stunning views!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nordiques
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Here are few facts about place;

1) Car access is very limited like most other places in Hallstatt. There are public parking lot very close to the town gate (near tunnel). But if you're not in hurry, even a 5~10 minute walk from the parking lot to the Gasthof is pretty joyful. Also note that though you don't have parking place in front of Gasthof, you can still drive your car to the place and drop-off your luggage.

2) Hallstatt is a place preserving its own natural/historical beauty; and that's what you paid for. This also means you're not gonna get professional concierge/luggage service, nor standard hotel amenities, nor professional checkin/checkout, etc, like you would in Hyatt/Hilton. IMO, complaining about them (as was the case for many reviews show below) is silly.

If I remember correct, Gasthof Simony itself is pretty close to 200 years building; so please be aware of what to expect; both pros and cons. Everything in this building is old (in good sense), close to historical. When we were there to checkin, there was an old grandma (who doesn’t speak English) sitting in the lobby. After a bit of a body language, she handed me a key; yes, this was the checkin. And I was perfectly okay with it (in fact much better compared to many arrogant receptionist in Boutique Italy/France hotels…).

Many room faces lake side, and if you’re in those rooms, you’re gonna get a breathtaking views. The hotel itself sits in the heart of the town (though the town itself is very small), so it’s really easy to walk around the town.

I’m not sure if this is the best place in Hallstatt, but I wouldn’t mind staying again; Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kunhyuk K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hallstatt
Heritage Hotel Hallstatt
#1 of 5 in Obertraun
Hallstatt Hideaway
Hallstatt Hideaway
#2 of 16 in Hallstatt

Been to Gasthof Simony? Share your experiences!