All reviews lake view market square beautiful hotel superior suite view room boutique hotel small town fairy tale beautiful room perfect location in town large bathroom third floor stayed one night enjoy the view old world charm visit hallstatt
Reviewed July 3, 2010

We approached the lakeside hotel on foot, the road too narrow to accomodate our bus. The homes and buildings cling to the mountainside and are reflected in the lake. Across the lake is a castle, and all around are the mountains. You forget that you had to carry your luggage up the stairs when you enter your spacious room and walk out on the balcony. It is all there for you to see and enjoy. The staff treat you like family, the meal is trout, caught that day. You hate to leave your beautiful room, but the village and mountain hikes call.

Date of stay: June 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We were attracted by a reasonable offer on the homepage of Seehotel Gruner Baum. unfortunately the lady at the reception told us the offer was not valid anymore due to bankrupcy of their content provider. Why didnt they remove it at all?

When we arrrived they still were cleaning our rooms and said another group left just before. The cleaning lady was very nice and friendly, but we couldn´t identify any positive results of her cleaning job. The rooms were dusty and all in all maintained only poorly, we even found medical strips, that were left by prior guests in our room.

Surprisingly the rooms as well as the restaurant were pretty cold and you could sit there only with warm cloths, though they told us they had guests before!

Until the second day the water in the bathroom was only lukewarm! They told us to open the faucet for 15 mins (!) to get warm water!

The waiter was very nice and friendly, in particular after he dropped something (e.g. glasses with juce, bread, spoon) - this happend every evening. And we were disgusted by the fact, that noone of the personnel cleaned the sticky stains on the floor!

The white wine was served too warm every evening, even after we asked them to chill it propperly! Instead the waiter brought some ice and dropped it into the wine-until we found chocolate in the ice, which didnt really match with the white wine!!! We asked for explanations and first he said, this was the fault of his colleague, then explained, some Japanese had put the chocolate into the ice cube maker!

They told us the chef was Italian, but I never ever had such overcooked pasta before! The dishes for half-board were significantly smaller then for restaurant guests so that even the kids asked for larger servings. They charge EUR 3,10 for 0,33 beer, which seems to be very expensive, taking into consideration that you usually get 0,5 at EUR 3,20-3,40 in Austria .

One evening the owner approached us saying they coul not provide us with warm water and heating, as they suurprisingly spent over 3000 ltrs. of heating oil! This was in winter and we had around + 20 F outside temperature. We complained and demanded a price reduction and - what a surprisewe - we had REALLY hot water the next day.

Its amazing that the owner was rewarded Businesswoman of the Year 2008 for her efforts to revitalizing winter tourism in Hallstatt!!!

They do have incredible staff - literally!

My conclusion: Don´t go there for a winter vaccation, you will be much better off probably at every other place in the Dachstein skiing area!

Date of stay: January 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
8  Thank Sharanga
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Date of stay: January 2010
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed here in May and loved the hotel and the town. Our room was on the second floor (no elevator) with a balcony and a very large bathroom just outside the door. Hallstatt is a very old town and so this building is also old but very lovely inside with a large staircase and large room "landings" with the bedrooms surrounding them. If you bring lots of luggage, and want new, luxurious surroundings, then this is not the place for you. Hallstatt is a beautiful little town full of hidden wonders. The hotel has a very sweet cat named Rocky who makes friends instantly. We found the breakfast buffet to be very nice. The view from our room was stunning. Many places are not open all year so be sure to check before you go.

Date of stay: May 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have stayed in this hotel before. Last year. Dreadful, poorly kept rooms, the food is bad and the service rotten. The only saving grace is the views across the lake. There are so much better to be found in Hallstatt (look at the Hallstatt website and see the smaller hotels and guest houses). It is also overpriced for what it is.

However, this year I left my booking until late and there was no other accommodation left in the town and so therefore i had no choice to book this hotel again (groan). It's a small town and you do need to book well in advance in july/august. But then a full eleven days before I was due to arrive I had to cancel my booking (owing to personal reasons). I sent an e-mail informing the hotel letting them know of this straight away. But unlike any other hotel in the world, they still charged my credit card for the full 4 days I was booked in for. Not just for the first night like any other hotel (and many waive the fee when it is a full 11 days before the booking). But they charged me for all the nights. I had to cancel 4 other hotels on this holiday and not one of them charged me for all the nights accommodation. Only Gruner Baum. I thought that was terribly unfair, considering the amount of notice I had given them. I can only deduce that not only is this a crummy hotel but they are robbers too. Go to hallstatt. It is a gorgeous. One of the most beautiful places in the world. But stay well away from this hotel.

Date of stay: August 2009