“Wonderful food and great service”

Restaurant im Seehotel Gruner Baum
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Hallstatt
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Leib & SeeleDer kulinarische und gastronomische Mittelpunkt unseres Hauses sind das Restaurant "Zum Salzbaron", das "Kaiserstuberl", sowie unsere Seeterrasse und als besonderes Highlight unsere neue Seelounge, direkt am Hallstattersee gelegen, inmitten einer unberuhrten Natur.Unsere Koche haben fur Sie eine lukullische Mischung aus einheimischen und mediterranen Spezialitaten zusammengestellt.Unsere Spezialitat sind taglich fangfrische Fische aus dem Hallstattersee, wie Forellen, Saiblinge und Reinanken.Die umfangreiche Weinkarte mit Schwerpunkt auf osterreichischen Weinen, als auch eine sorgfaltig ausgewahlte Selektion an internationalen Weinen runden unser Angebot fur Sie ab.In Abwandlung eines alten Sprichwortes ist unser Motto: "Essen und Trinken soll den Leib salben und die Seele beflugeln".
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had the most delicious fresh fish in this restaurant. I had the whole trout and my husband had the char, both fresh from the lake and absolutely melt in the mouth. The accompaniments, including vegetables were great, not overlooked as in many restaurants. The desserts were also yummy. Advice from our excellent waitress about food and wine was also fantastic.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had the pleasure of dining here two times while in Hallstatt. We had a reservation each time and were seated on the dock overlooking the lake. Christina, the "woman in charge of the reservations" as she calls herself, was a delightful server and made our dining experience one to remember.

The first evening, we had the schnitzel, one pork and one veal. The pork was much tastier and in retrospect, I should have ordered that again the second time we visited. It was fork tender and seasoned perfectly. The second evening, we ordered pasta dishes. They were good, not great. We learned our lesson to stick to the local dishes.

The view from the dock cannot be beat. If you can't make it for dinner, at least go and have a glass of wine or an after dinner schnapps and relax in the peaceful atmosphere.

1  Thank IMForever28
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Exactly what you will expect from such a location. Food is good, staff is helpful - as expected, but not beyond. Views over the lake were the best part of experience.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were attracted by reviews on the tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed. The service was great, everything was brought promptly and with a smile on a face. The food was also good, tasty and in generous portions. Highly recommended. Not to mention the magnificent view on the lake!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went to this place based on the reviews on TA which made it #1 out of the very limited options in Hallstatt. Tired of the usual heavy Austrian fare, I went for the chicken. It was supposed to be a leg and breast in curry sauce with red pepper. The waiter assured me it was wonderful, so I ordered it. The dish arrived. It was indeed a leg and breast, but it was covered in red peppercorns, not red chili flakes as I was expecting. The "curry" sauce was unidentifiable as such. It was a puddle of yellowish sauce under the meat. To top it off, the breast meat was mostly raw. When a server finally got around to visiting us to clear the plates, I pointed out to her that half the dish was inedible due to the undercooked chicken. She cheerily inquired if the remainder was good, and proceeded to offer us the dessert menus. It was kind of funny I guess, but if this is an example of what other trip advisor reviewers consider wonderful food, I am probably lucky we didn't eat at the lesser places there. I think a traveler would be better off getting a pita sandwich from the little shack by the boat docks.

1  Thank spdykat