“Great food, great location”

Stiftsrestaurant Melk
Ranked #8 of 32 Restaurants in Melk
Cuisines: Austrian, Diner
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Great food, great location”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

After visiting the Melk Monastery and church, I stopped here for a late lunch.

I was rushed for time to get back on the tour bus (30 minutes) and the service was very quick.

I had the chicken and potato salad with green salad and it was delicious. Waiter staff was very friendly and helpful, and the cost was reasonable too. My meal and a drink of water was less than EUR 15.

I recommend this as a place to eat.

Tip : I had my lunch late so maybe this is why I was served quickly. Most other patrons had already eaten main meals and were ordering desserts.

Visited June 2014

McLean, Virginia
“The cafe and its food was the most memorable event at Melk”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

One of the best meals ever? Maybe not, but memorable, especially after our so-so impression of the inside of Melk Castle. Grand and impressive but not compared with all the other castles, palaces and churches we saw in three weeks in this part of the world. But we had a very nice lunch -- a good cheese plate with delicious black bread, a nice salad and a veggie dish for my wife -- on a very rainy day. We were traveling alone, without a tour group, so didn't expect royal treatment, but our treatment was good enough. Sometimes solo or duo travelers are easier for a restaurant to handle than a large, amorphous, expectant group. Again, some of the most memorable food on our trip, though our expectations are definitely not high. We're happiest with little things.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank 60726Nicky_11
Trinidad
“Good food”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Conveniently located near the Magnificent Benedictine Abbey in Melk, this restaurant offers really good tasty food with great service. I recommend it.

• Visited April 2014
Ambler, Pennsylvania
“Slow service and food was pricey”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

It took our group quite a while to place our orders even though the tour director had called ahead to reserve tables. We were seated quickly, but getting the menus and then placing the orders was a slow process. The food was good, but I thought a little expensive for the small portions. It then took a long time to get the bill. We didn't have time to get a good look at the Melk Abby since eating at the restaurant took so long and we had to be back on the tour bus on time.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank treeface
Madison, Wisconsin
“The bus is leaving and I am not be on it.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

During our recent bus trip to the monastery in Milk a decision was made to stop here versus the usual roadside eatery. Our tour director called ahead and made reservations for the entire bus. Upon entering the restaurant we found that some of the spots that were reserved for our group had been given out to other patrons. We were a party of three and attempted to sit at the last remaining table which had been set up for six. This was not acceptable to the manager even after finding three more from our group to join us. We then decided to sit outside on the patio which would have been nice if the weather had been warmer. Two of us ordered various soups and I had a salad. The food was good. The outside service, however, left a lot to be desired. It took quite a time to get our food so I ordered a second glass of wine right away. The wine never showed up and neither did the bill.My husband went inside to see if we could get our bill and cancel the second glass of wine. He was politely told to wait at the table. We finally did get our bill but the process has used so much time that we did not get to see the books etc, in the abbey that we came there to see. Needless to say, we were a few minutes late getting back to our bus. If we had known the service was this slow we would have waited to eat on the Danube River Tour that took immediately after this stop.

• Visited October 2013