“Many religious relics”

Stift Klosterneuburg
Book In Advance
$126.29*
and up
Welcome to Vienna - Vienna Card, Hop-on-Hop off Tour, Morning Tea and Lunch or...
$289.36*
and up
Romantic Vienna Combo: Vienna Card, Horse and Carriage Tour, Belvedere Palace...
$163.96*
Vienna Super Saver: Salzburg Day Trip plus Vienna City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Just a few years after relocating their residence to Klosterneuburg, Margrave Leopold III and his wife, Agnes, founded the monastery near their castle as a religious, social and cultural center in 1114. They handed the monastery over to the Canons Regular of St. Augustine in 1133.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

You must take the guided tour to see most parts of the monastery and church. There is an English audio guide, but the tour is in German.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I visited this monastery during a trip to Vienna. Taking a train and bus to get there, the beautiful location is up on a hill with distant views of Vienna. The grounds alone are amazing, but taking the wine tour and visiting the interior of the main building is equally amazing. There are plenty of places to eat and we ended up spending most of the day relaxing and exploring a historical gem. It houses the world's oldest wine school!

1  Thank missmorningstarz
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Experience a medieval church/castle/abbey/fortress on a "mountain" overlooking much of Vienna. This is pre-Habsburg, built over about a 25 year period in the mid 12th Century, which is very historic, even in this part of Europe. The main dome of the Abbey Church is modeled after the crown of the Holy Roman Emperor.

Do a little research. Plan ahead. Tours must be with a guide, which seems to require a reservation.

Nearby is the impressive Essl Museum of contemporary art. It's a 20 minute walk between the museum and the Abbey.

Do both. It's a great two-fer about 20 miles outside of Vienna Centrum.

Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful grounds and really interesting items inside. I paid for the all inclusive ticket and I was there touring from 10-1544! The outside is picturesqu. The treasury had alot of expensive items that blew me away. I thouroughly enjoyed the wine tour as well even though o could not understand the guide due to me only speaking English. They have headsets which include multiple languages for a few tours, but not every single tour. Photos are allowed, no hidden fees and I usually skip out on museums but this one was great in my opinion.

1  Thank Meliska
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I went with my family to Stift Klosterneuburh and we had a wonderful time. It was a nice day trip outside of Vienna. I am a wine lover and we enjoyed the local wine that they made there, and we bought some excellent white wine and apple juice for my kids. It seemed intimidating to get their, but you take the last stop on the U6 and then walk right outside and hop on the 239 bus. There was a bus stop right outside the monastery. The views are amazing from the monastery, and we all had a great time.

1  Thank jelliot77