“Decent hotel for a decent price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mariandy Hotel

Mariandy Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Pyla
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel for a decent price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I were staying in this hotel for a week. We found the location is quite convenient( took us only 15 mins to get there from the airport). It is situated within a walking distance from the beach( about 5 mins walk). We were staying in rather small room with a sea view and a balcony. It was very romantic to spend relaxing evenings on the balcony enjoying the glass of local wine and watching the sunset. This hotel is a great place for those who is looking for peace and quiet, however those who are interested in clubbing would rather go to Ayia Napa.
The hotel itself is clean. The swimming pool was cleaned every day. Housekeeping service is available every day, however the towels were changed every other day..
Very friendly and helpful staff especially at the reception.
Different kinds of local tours are available to buy form the hotel. We were particularly interested in wine and fishing tours, which were very enjoyable.
Overall we had a very nice stay in this hotel and definitely will be back there again one day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Rhyl, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Electing to stay over the Christmas period at the Mariandy was the worst holiday decision my partner and i have ever made.
We arrived on Christmas day expecting to find a warm festive welcome but our initial impression of the hotel was that it was closed , as we could not see any illumination from the property. After locating the dimly lit side entrance we were greeted by the Reception area, which also functioned as the dining area during our stay. We were immediately struck by the minimalist festive decoration and casual attire of all of the hotel staff. The friendly female receptionist informed us that there were so few guests that they would not be providing any choice of food as per the advertised "buffet style". She explained that she was doubling up as the waitress and would serve our meal at 7pm.
Dismayed, we stepped into the rusting metal box which elevated us to our corridor. Walking from the lift to our room we became even more depressed by the expanse of soiled carpet and MDF boarding along the walls, this turned out to be the only barrier between the building extension at the rear of the hotel and the corridor.
With relief we viewed the room. It was relatively modern and comfortable, no complaints here.
Our Christmas dinner was served by the pleasant waitress/receptionist onto a cheap glass topped table in the cold reception area. The other four residents and us were given a sparse salad, a pork( i think) in sauce dish with tinned vegetables, followed by an orange and apple for dessert. The plates were all presented to us in quick succession as the waitress wanted to go home. I didn't blame her as so did i!.
This first night pretty much set the tone for the hotel's level of indifference to our "guest" status. We had no choice regarding meals other than eat it OR don't eat it. The food was boring and of the cheapest quality e.g. sliced white bread every morning. I stopped coming down for breakfast by the third day as there was nothing to tempt me, even the cereal was stale and my partner was reduced to buying his own packet to take to breakfast. I bought my own yoghurt as i could not face the plastic cheese and cheap processed slices of meat.
Fortunately we had hired a car from the airport (Budget Car Rentals were excellent btw) and were able to get away from the bleakness of the hotel and the sound of football being watched by the male staff and their friends on the large screen TV.
We spent new year's eve in the genuinely kind company of Cypriot people in their local community centre in Larnaca, the contrast between their welcoming personalities and the hotel staff was palpable and cheered us up immensely.
To summarise on a festive theme. we really wished that there had NOT been any room at this inn and we could have found another place where guests were not discriminated against simply because of their scarcity. It may be a completely different place in the height of summer but for a Christmas season break give this place a miss !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cariad56

Travelers are raving about these Pyla hotels

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

1 Comfortable and clean room with air conditioner, TV, balcony, sea (but mostly pool) view.
2 Breakfast (toasts, jam, cheese, ham, corn flakes, fruit, instant coffe, tea) was edible and abundant; dinner (different salads, side dishes, meat, fruit) was delicious and also abundant.
3 Very friendly and unobtrusive staff.
4 Surroundings are peacefull, there are supermarkets, restaurants, bowling, bicycle rent (5 eur/day).
5 Sea - 200 m (across the road), sandy beach with very little people, shallow entrance into the water.
----------------------------------------------
Take movies with you - most of tv channels are Greek, but TV allows to use flash drives.
I didn't find sauna, jacuzzi and gym that were described on their website, but all the same I didn't have time to use it.
Road is near so passing cars are annoying sometimes, but the traffic is not intensive.
Allergics, be aware of cats, they are everywhere. Nevertheless I have not suffered from them.
------------------------------------------------
Very nice place for brief vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KirillVakulin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Rooms were clean and tidy
Staff were plentiful and accessible, and very helpful. Food was great, and the menu variant. Pool was clean and around the pool was kept tidy. Bar prices were not to bad, can I recommend the chocolate milkshake, wow my kids loved it. I will be staying here again as it is only 30 mins from nicosia and the highway is very near for other destinations.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank sozomeno
Protaras, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My father is staying at this hotel and we visited him. Although a 2 star rating the hotel was clean and the food was very good. Selection of fresh produce and the staff very friendly. He has no complaints and has praised the staff for their good service. For the price he said its well worth a visit. Over looking the sea it has a nice size pool the room is clean with air on tv and u can call room service for any thing you need.

Room Tip: Chose an ocean view with the balcony it's beautiful
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Demetris M
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

VISITED 7TH APRIL - 14TH APRIL 2013 (EASTER HOLIDAYS)

At all costs, please please do not go to this hell hole! This place is purgatory!

By the first morning we were desperate to leave but due to the fact that we were visiting family at the army barracks close by we had no choice but to unfortunately stick this torture out.
Everything about this hotel is terrible. We fully appreciate that it was not expensive and is only a two star but it is simply not a holiday hotel. Extensive building work was taking place and the hotel should have not been open and bookings most certainly should not have been being taken. (See photographs.)

From start to finish the stay was truly awful. The greeting from reception upon arrival after travelling all day was only the start of the torture. However we were exhausted and we took to our beds which were actually acceptable as the room had been recently renovated. However, towels were rarely changed and the beds were never even made never mind changed for the whole week.

We had booked half board and ate there once. I have never witnessed anything like the way food is served in this hotel; they plonk down some bread, salad and dips. Then come through with a plate of food not asking what you want, telling you what’s on the menu, if you are vegetarian or if you have allergies. This process needs some SERIOUS revising. We were served pork, potatoes and tomato pasta. The meat was inedible as it was so dry and after this meal we decided to not return for food again. We did take a look at breakfast which consisted of boiled eggs, toast and cucumber. Goes without saying why we didn't bother with breakfast either.

Any idea of a relaxing break was thrown out of the window when at 7am we were alarmed by the deafening noise of building works and machinery. (Also there is a very busy road directly outside of the hotel and all night it keeps you awake, along with a generator on the roof of our room which was very noisy also.)

Then we noticed that the swimming pool was empty apart from slime covering the bottom of it. The whole of the outside of the hotel was off limits. This led me to return to reception for my questions answered of why this hotel was taking bookings when it was such a building site and basically a real dump. The manager was extremely rude, abrupt and intimidating (taking into account it was only me and my young daughter.) He refused to acknowledge what I was questioning and replied with “If you do not like it ring your booking company and leave.” However I had no choice but to stay due to my family commitments.

From then the stay just gradually got worse. The resort is vile; however it is totally suitable to accommodate a place like the Mariandy. The beach is just mud and water and you could honestly visit nicer places on your doorstep at home. There are no nice restaurants, cafes or bars close by which you would normally see on a holiday. It is 18 euros in a taxi at night into Larnaca one way, which defeats the point of booking a cheap hotel if you have to pay that much to see a small amount of life every night. We did however visit an English pub named the Queens Arms which is located 10 minutes’ walk away which was good value for money and served good food also. However we were also forced to book taxis to go and return due to the fact that when walking down the road individual men were slowing down and turning around in their cars to drive pass us which when it was only myself and my daughter was incredibly scary especially in a foreign country. This sums all the Cypriots up that we met – miserable, rude and incredibly ignorant. Considering the state their country is in they really need to improve the way they treat the tourist’s drastically. Another thing about the resort (if you can call it that) is the taxi fares are not only incredibly expensive (we paid 20 euros one way to the army barracks, we timed it and it is a 3 minute car ride.) They also use many various excuses to try and avoid giving you change and increasing the fare. So if you’re crazy enough to go ahead and book up here or if you are unfortunate enough to have already booked then I would advise you to be very aware of this.

Overall my advice would be to avoid this hotel and resort totally. I would never return to Larnaca ever again however if you do wish to visit Cyprus I would fully recommend that Paphos is 10 times nicer and to take yourself and your cash there instead. Book here and you’re throwing your money away completely! And if you have already booked here firstly try and get a change through your booking company before you go and if that doesn’t work all I can say is good luck because you will most certainly need it!

Room Tip: Just don't bother booking at all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank Miss B
Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

First I need to qualify my stay. I was diving on the wreck of the Zenobia in February the closed season, winter if you prefer, in Larnaca. The hotel was having building work done and so when the season starts the hotel could be very different from when I stayed there.

I found all the staff to be very friendly. On a couple of nights I ate in the restaurant and the food was very good and plentyfull.

The room had all that I needed. A comfortable bed, a shower and a toilet. There was a television as well but as I did not turn it on I do not know what it is like. There was a balcony that I spent some time on but as I had other things to do not much time. The view is not spectacular now they have built some apartments between the sea and the hotel but a 100 metre walk takes you to the beach. The room had seen better days but as I say the builders were in so who knows what the rooms will look like later this year. During my stay the room was kept spotless.

Some of the facilities the hotel has that I did not use were: outside pools, gym, sauna and steam room. If you are visiting the Zenobia with Alpha Divers then this is the closest hotel to their dive centre.

For a very friendly hotel near the beach with very comfortable beds I cannot praise the Mariandy enough. It is not the Ritz but also it is not the cost of the RItz.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Saaby665
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pyla
Golden Bay Beach Hotel
SENTIDO Sandy Beach
Lithos Antonis G Apartment Hotel
Palm Beach Hotel & Bungalows
Lordos Beach Hotel
Frixos Suites Hotel apts

Been to Mariandy Hotel? Share your experiences!