“Good value for Monaco”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Hong Kong, China
“Good value for Monaco”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This isn't a 5-star hotel, so it doesn't have a swimming pool, valet service etc. however it does offer a great location (a few metres from the bus stop and just around the corner from the train station, plus it's within walking distance of the old town), clean rooms and value in what is an expensive location.

We stayed here for an extra night after moving out of the apartment that we had rented for the week during the grand prix. The front desk were very helpful and arranged taxis for us even on the days before we checked in.

We ate at the Italian restaurant downstairs (P&P) a couple of times before we realised that it was actually part of the hotel and can thoroughly recommend it. Breakfast, which is included in the rate, is taken in the same restaurant and is a continental buffet style with plenty of choice (cereal, bread, pastries, eggs, cold cuts, cheese, jam etc.).

The room itself was small (in keeping with this part of the world) and the twin beds were pushed next to each other (we had booked a twin, not a double). It had a juliet balcony and whilst it overlooked the main street, we were not disturbed by the outside world. The air-conditioning was quiet and free wi-fi was also available in the room.

The bits that we didn't like could be fixed quite easily. The only bin was in the bathroom, as was the only mirror (not full-length either), which is not ideal when you're sharing. The worst problem was that it was impossible to take a shower without completely flooding the bathroom. The over-bath shower was fixed far too close to the bath (so you had to hold it over your head) and there was no shower curtain/screen, so the water immediately went everywhere no matter how careful you were, creating both a mess and a real slip hazard. Reluctantly, we used the towels to try to soak up some of the water but it didn't help much. I hope that the management takes note of these issues, as we would stay here again next time we're in Monaco.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank HKLissie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I chose this hotel mainly based on price and it was a great hotel. It is located a short walk from the lower exit of the train station. Our room was a great corner room with 3 windows overlooking the front street. I didn't find it too noisy, there are double glazed windows. The air conditioning was great, very cool during the summer heat. The free WIFI was great until the last evening when it suddenly quit working only on our floor.

The bus stop was just down the street, we found it very easy to walk most everywhere, although there are some hills.

I would definitely reccomend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 1st Floor that was larger than all the other rooms on the floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt M
Sussex,England
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed there repeatedly, and while this is not a luxurious hotel and the rooms are rather minimal, it offers a great deal at a reasonable rate. The rate includes a good breakfast, it has a good Italian restaurant and offers free Wifiin every room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ingemaria
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was visiting friends in Monaco, who due to it being Monaco don't have a spare room. Being a few days before the Grand Prix there weren't a lot of hotel options available, so I was debating between splurging on the Hermitage or going for the budget option. I settled on the budget option largely because it was round the corner from my friends' place, and was unsure what I'd be getting for my money. Overall the Ambassador exceed my expectations. My room was perfectly clean and well appointed. As requested I'd been given a room at the front of the hotel which overlooked the street with a view up to the Palace, and French doors opening onto a Juliet balcony. The rooms are very much as pictured, a reasonable size, although the shower room was small, and a bit dated. Some furniture shows signs of wear, and the bed was a bit annoying as it was two singles joined together, but it was very comfortable and the linen felt like it was of a good quality. The lift is a bit temperamental and the continental breakfast is on the basic side. Being English I would have appreciated tea and coffee making facilities in the room, but these are minor points. I was a bit wary of the previous review about the desk staff. Not all service in Monaco is with a smile, but everything I requested was done promptly if not with the service you'd expect outside of Europe.
On the whole, I would recommend the Ambassador for a short break in Monaco (and indeed have suggested it to my friends for future visitors) but if I was staying longer I might see if there was a room available at the Novotel, as it has an outdoor space and pool.

Room Tip: My room at the front hotel had a lovely sunny outlook, though might be noisy with the doors open in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Beth G
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is definitely the best in this price category. We paid 123eur per night including breakfast. Rooms are small but clean. Central location. Unbeatable deal in Monaco. Highly recommended for travelers.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MonacoFoodie
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We arrived to Monaco and after we decided to book a two tours with the assistant manager at the desk in the lobby around 4:30pm. She kindly took care of calling the tour company to book the tours, but after, this is when it went all downhill. First, she didn't give us a recipt for booking the tour (apparently this is a verbal contract), nor did she specify a cancellation policy of any sort. The next day we received a phone call and began our day tour. That afternoon realized that our evening tour would not work out with our schedule. The tour company stated that the policy was a 24 hour notice that the hotel should have notified us about. Our guide told us to wait until the end of the tour to speak with the hotel. We arrived back to the hotel and explained to the front desk that we would not be able to make it that evening for the tour and that we were never notified of this policy. We spoke on the phone with the assistant manager because she was not at the hotel. Immediately, she began screaming at me, telling me that I should have known the policies and that "of course of you have to pay for a penalty." She was yelling so loudly that I couldn't even get a word in. She began complaining that "we couldn't Make up our minds" and that "there is a word for 'people like us' in french." People like us? I'd seriously have a better chance communicating with a 3-year-old. If she would have handled this like PROFESSIONAL, then I wouldn't even have a problem paying a penalty with the tour. This was about her nasty attitude. I am still in shock that someone would speak to guests of their hotel this way. She has no management and issue resolc

It's such a shame that the customer service here is so horrible because the hotel itself is in a nice location with a great breakfast in the morning.

Even after reading the hotel's responds to negative reviews, it seems as though they put the blame on the guest for lacking the ability of "coming and telling their front desk." They need to take responsibility for their unprofessional and poor customer service. I would much rather pay a bit more and be treated as an actual guest.

Thank you for single handedly ruining my trip to Monaco, Hotel Ambassador! I will never stay here again simply because of the rude and unprofessional attitude and customer service. They have no respect for their guest. Period.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tkohan
IIT, Assistante manager at Hotel Ambassador Monaco, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
We aknowledge your review and wanted to comment on our customer service and my behavior and its a pity that you didnt take the time to speak direclty with me when you
saw me at your check-out .

Our customer service is and, has always been completly devoted to our guest’s and I’m glad
that most of them appreciate it.

Concerning your issue with me as you mentioned, I just took care of calling the company for you since you came with the leaflet of the tours (in which the general informations, if
you read carefully, are mentioned) asking me if I could help you.

As I told,we are only intermediaries we don’t sign any contract with the guests since
we just make the call, to avoid to our guest high expenses on their mobile phone
( Customer services ) and book for the tour.

All information and general conditions are mentionned on the brochure we never had any problems with any guests .
Its true we never spoke about the cancellation policy, but presumed you already read
them on the leaflet, specially that you came from USA and Im sure that you will agree
with me that for all services or any kind of booking a cancellation is compulsory .

Just for the record, we contacted the company so that you could book for the same evening, but is was already full and you took same to think about it .

When you came back, you ask me to book 3 tours, one for monaco in the morning the other still for Monaco by night and the other one for the next day, departing from Nice.

I called them back asking differents schedules, availabilitys and the possibility for you to be picked up in Nice the day after, this because I explained you that your next hotel booking was in Cannes and not Nice like you where thinking ( and I suggested you not to book
the tour from nice but rather to visit cannes, avoidingto waste money, customers services ....)

Regarding my attitude, I was upset to be called on my private time for this kind of whim.
you told the guide that “we havent booked any other tour “ and that you would not pay any cancellation fee because you didnt signed any contract .
They called to refer me and I could believe it, I was obvious that you where lying to avoid
The penalty and it would have been simpler to handle with an adult that would just say :
“We made a mistake and wont be able to make both tours, would you be so kind to cancel ? “

Travelers are raving about these Monte-Carlo hotels

Monaco
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Room was good but Quite dusty, and the towels had Staines on them. I request a double bed but get twins pushed together which was a nightmare. Breakfast is very basic. Staff were friendly and helpful and had pretty much everything we forgot to bring with us.. E.g. Adaptor, umbrella, iron etc..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank emilyjanejones1