“Best view in Monaco”

Fairmont Monte Carlo
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights on business in Monaco. Concierge, meeting organizers and front desk staff were incredible and very helpful. I was in a "garden" facing room which could use a little updating, but otherwise was fine. The location of the hotel is perfect and the views from roof top terrace were amazing, Obviously if you're into the grand prix, you know that this hotel is on the famous hair pin turn. Sadly there was a bunch of noisy constructions going on while we were there. The casino was a bit slow, and was heavily patrolled by prostitutes, but they were harmless. The breakfast buffet, albeit incredibly expensive, was good. And the view from the breakfast/bar area was second-to-none. Nobu was a waste of money and time (slow service even on a weekday night). Bottom line, the Fairmont is a five star place with room for improvement, but not much. Request an updated room if possible!

Room Tip: Make sure you get an updated room. Splurge for sea facing
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank VivaPamplona
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the beautiful panoramic views, from the hotel, of Monaco. We are continuously improving our standards in order to create a memorable experience for our guests and I have noted your suggestions which I will share with our teams.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Monte Carlo

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I booked this Anniversary 3 day weekend through Kirker Travel, everything was organised so well, the Helicopter flight was perfect, the views on a beautiful sunny day were fab, and we arrived in style at the Fairmont, where we were welcomed and shown to our room which was a Hairpin one- a real bonus as we are F1 fans.
Kirker Travel had given us a Monaco Passport which gave us a free cocktail at the Fairmont, entrance to Oceanographic Museum,(where we were able to touch the Sharks!!), several other Monaco museums and attractions it was a very useful item.
We also went ice-skating on the famous swimming pool, and in the evening it turns into Ice Karting at 13 euros it was great fun for us and also for families.
The Fairmont breakfast was excellent and most enjoyable and leisurely, staff were attentive and friendly.
The bed was very large and comfortable, the pillows were soft and we slept very well.
I would recommend the Fairmont and its ideal location in Monaco, we will definitely be back soon,
A big Thank you to KIrker Travel, especially Giles, who arranged local flights and Champagne & chocolates in our hotel room for our Anniversary.

Room Tip: For F1 fans the Hairpin View room, was perfect, we couldn't count the amount of Ferrari's, L...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for his work event. Upon arriving, we had to wait 10 minutes while they finished cleaning our room. We took this time to enjoy the spectacular views outside of the hotel: right on water on one side of the hotel and watching the Ferraris speed around the hairpin bend on the other side. Our room was great: clean and simple décor. The view off the balcony was amazing!! The only downside to our room was the location. We were on the first floor (lower level) so every morning we would hear the high heeled foot steps from above, only aggravating when we wanted to sleep in. The hotel bar was nice. The staff also did a wonderful job putting together a cocktail night and casino night for my boyfriend's work event. Cleaning staff came twice a day! Loved that we always came back, no matter what time, to a tidy room. Location was great too: within walking distance of everything. Overall, we had a wonderful time in Monaco and would definitely come back to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Vanessa B
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to see that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay and the housekeeping services. I have taken notice to your comments in regards to the noise and I apologize for the inconvenience this caused during your stay. Please rest assured of our constant willingness to offer the best service at all times.
We look forward to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo again soon.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed her for one night the first of March with my 21 year old daughter. I had been here with my husband 15 plus years ago when it was a Lowe's hotel and it was fabulous then. The rooms had the same furniture that were now threadbare and dated. We planned to spend one day of our one week visit to the Côte d'Azur being pampered in the spa and longing by the rooftop pool. Well despite the fact that the website said the pool was open year round, it in fact was not. We were told it was being prepped for the season. Disappointing but we still had our Spa day to look forward to. Well, unfortunately that was disappointing as well. The Spa was apparantly added during a multimillion dollar renovation so we had high hopes. It consisted of one hallway of the hotel that had previously been regular hotel rooms now set aside as treatment rooms. The website said to come early to " enjoy the amenities" of the Spa. Well aside from some flavored water, and a small lounge area, there were no amenities. The woman who showed us to the lounge to wait for our therapists, didn't even show us the locker area in the adjoining room, nor tell us we could change. This is the only time I had been to a Spa where someone didn't show me around the facility and point out all the amenities. I was surprised but now I realize it is because there were none. The therapist came to get us for our pedicures first. My daughter was also having a full body massage. We were still in our jeans and shoes. My daughter was wearing skinny jeans that barely roll up but the woman told her it was fine, she did t have to change into a robe. Even after I said she also had a massage after she still insisted and in fact had already put her feet in water. I objected once again and told my daughter to come and get changed. She stepped out of the water and the girl didn't even put a towel down for her to step on to dry her feet. So she had to walk barefoot with wet feet to the original room where we had waited which we now learned had a locker room attached. After we finally got changed we were now behind schedule. As a result I believe my therapist short changed me on my pedicure. I had requested and already paid for the Signature pedicure which was to be longer and include a paraffin wax, which I got but I did not get a foot massage and my pedicure ended at the exact same time as my daughters. The manager of the Spa listened to my complaint and lowered the cost, which was good, but I really would have preferred the full treatment. So don't go to the Fairmont for the Spa! If you want to pay too much for an outdated room and be right on the water and steps from the Grand Casino then this is the place.

Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Joan S
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
I regret to see that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured of our constant willingness to offer the best service at all times. While I understand you have been disappointed, I would appreciate to be in contact with you at your convenience, trusting that we will yet give us another chance to redeem ourselves in your eyes and welcome you back again to the Fairmont Monte Carlo. I would therefore like to invite you to contact me directly, at your convenience, at Louis.starck@fairmont.com, so we can speak in further detail about your experience.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality product and service the Fairmont Monte Carlo prides itself on having.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed at the Fairmont Hotel 6th March 2014 for 3 nights with our 11yr old Son.
First general impression was a very warm friendly greeting. At the check in desk the staff were very welcoming and efficient. They did spend sometime in telling us of the great offer they had for us to have an upgrade to a suite obviously at an extra cost. We had already paid extra to have the sea view room and I wasn't prepared to pay any extra . When we were shown to our room I noticed that no extra bed for our Son had been put in so I assume they were hoping I would take the offered upgrade up! So I had to ask for the extra bed and they soon wheeled an extra bed in .
The room was quite nice but I felt the bathroom was a bit dated for the high standard of this Hotel. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in.
The Balcony was disappointing. It had the most worn furniture I have ever seen in an Hotel. I would have tipped furniture like this! It was really worn and very tired. The varnish was nearly all worn off and looked like it had been well weathered. No seat pads for the chairs, just very ordinary worn wooden chairs. The sun lounger was a bit better and it did have a padded cover. The Balcony felt like a huge concrete wall that surrounded you!
The main disappointment to us was that the lovely rooftop swimming pool that we were all looking forward to using was CLOSED during our stay for refurbishment . I understand that this needs to be done at some point but why not in the winter months and why weren't we informed of this prior to our holiday? One of our reasons for picking this Hotel was for the superb swimming pool and our Son was really looking forward in using it. We had packed with this in mind. I complained about this and the Manager said he would arrange for a Taxi to take us to another Hotel to use their pool. Who wants to go in a Taxi to use a Swimming pool ? We wanted to have a swim each morning and with only being here for 3 days who wants to waste time catching a Taxi every morning. Nothing else was offered in compensation for this. Even a complimentary drink would have gone some way in making us feel a bit better as we had paid extra for a better quality and standard of an hotel with a fabulous swimming pool. We could have stayed far cheaper in another hotel which didn't have those facilities!
Putting that aside the breakfast was excellent. Everything you could want and of great quality. The Staff were very friendly and efficient. The location of the hotel is great too and is right on the famous hairpin bend .
Being an F1 fan Monaco ticked all the boxes for us.
We didn't think it was that easy to get around compared to other city breaks we have had and seemed to walk miles but didn't mind as we got to walk though the tunnel. We did go on the local buses and the hop on and hop off bus which was good but get the 2 day pass as it's not much more money so much better value.
On a last note if you are thinking of going to Monaco do it in style and get the Helicopter transfers, they were great and very professional .

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank evettejayne
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience of the closed swimming pool; I have shared your comments with our teams and to ensure this kind of does not happen again in the future.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed breakfast and the beautiful city of Monaco and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I and our 4 kids popped over to Monaco for New Years eve and New Years day while traveling in Europe after Christmas. We were lucky that we caught the tail end of the "Christmas Town Celebration" on the wharf downtown Monte Carlo.

It was adorable and I'll post some photos of it.

Likewise we were grateful that the Fairmont upgrade our 2 rooms into a suite plus a room both with views of the harbor and the sea. We were especially lucky because for New Years Eve they had the most spectacular firework show I had ever seen. Not only was the show amazing but it was really fun being on the harbor side of the hotel. We were right near all the yachts and they were blowing their horns like crazy in celebration of the New Year! It was such a unique experience and our children loved it!

The rooms themselves were not that special. They were what I call " All about 80's"... meaning someone redid them in or around 1984. They had a nautical motif. I guess back in the day.. of the 80's these were nice. But in 2014 they just felt dated. Really dated, not luxurious. Granted, we were extremely grateful for the Fairmont President's Club upgrade, and the fact we had 3 bathrooms, and lots of space. All that was great but the rooms were not worth the price we paid at all. They were the most expensive hotel rooms of our whole trip and not the most luxurious, in fact they were pretty low on the scale.

The pool and spa facilities on top of the hotel, while it had stunning views of the Côte d'Azur, the hills and the sea, it also felt very old and worn for such a luxurious town.

The service was mediocre at the hotel as well. They were jumping over our kids to open up doors for the men pulling up in all the fancy cars that Monte Carlo is known for :the Ferrari, the
Lamborghini, the Rolls.. they all seemed much much more important that ol' mom and pop rollin' with the kids. C'est la vie

Monte Carlo itself was fun, we even visited the famous "The Casino". The Fairmont is directly downhill from The Casino, so we just took the elevator up to the top floor, then outside up a few steps and up a half block and voila! The Casino! ... The Casino was so quiet and so dull, we were surprised, and laughed as we compared it to the hotels in Las Vegas. However, the building was real and it was gorgeous, just very quiet. We even paid extra to go into the "private" area, thinking the action would be better. Nope. I guess it's different there.

The cafes around the casino were excellent. In fact one restaurant called Cafe De Paris, was amazing and we ate there several times.

Monte Carlo was beautiful and we are glad we got a chance to checked it out. It was fun for our kids to count ladies with heels, fur coats, cigarettes and little dogs. A funny game that my 8 and 9 year old children made up as they were laughing at how many women were walking around in high heels, with furs on their backs, a cigarette in their mouths and a little Chihuahuas in their arms. I think my 4 kids spotted over 200 of these "winners" while we were tromping around in our tennis shoes for 2 days.

We stood out like sore thumbs appearing a bit sloppy, I'm afraid in our jeans and Nike athletic shoes. Most of the people visiting seemed to be well dressed French people wearing designer clothes just off the modeling ramp. We saw very few other children there despite the fact there was a full fair set up for Christmas with rides and all.

Anyway, it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. And I told my kids "Soak it all in kids because if you make it back here, it will be on your own or with your girl or boyfriend."

If this review was helpful please click that little green box that says so, it just makes me feel good to know that I'm not wasting all my time typing these reviews. Lastly sorry for any typos, I"m multi-tasking and helping my kids with their homework as I type. Merci beaucoup!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
18  Thank MelissaBradley

Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the beautiful views from the pool and the New Year’s fireworks from your suite with your family. Besides that I regret, that the hotel did not meet your further expectations. Please rest assured of our constant willingness to offer the best service at all times.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you and your family back to one of our hotels in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

High quality hotel, in the lower end of the top luxury segment, with excellent reception service, very good restaurants, excellent gym and nice rooms (especially the ones with sea view). However, the hotel is rather formal without any particular atmosphere. A good choice in Monte Carlo!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our facilities, including Willow Stream Spa & Finess Center. We are very pleased to announce that the Horizon restaurant will open on April 14th, which will give our guests another dining choice within the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo in the not too distant future.