“Great but Dated!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Great but Dated!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Yes it's nice, service is great but it is a little dated.
Pool and spa was good
Food was great too
Rooms nice size and clean
All items dated but floors vary, mine was not as good as a friends room or floor decoration.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Keli S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Augie101898
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Outside it is great, the cars, yahts, ocean. the rooms are not fancy but well done. Roomy by standards in Europe. Hallways are VERY long. It is a hike if you are at the end away from elevator. Did room service a few times and it was very good. Heck it is Monte Carlo, Just have fun and enjoy the view!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Augie101898
Philadelphia area
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were on a tour so I don't know what the room cost, but it was a truly fine experience--great bed, great shower, fine atmosphere in all the rooms. The dinner was one of the best "group" dinners we've had--interesting and fresh salad, fine breads, excellent service, great entree with accommodations for those with dietary needs that looked fine as well--no rubber chicken here!!
And, the breakfast that came with the room was one of the best--omelet to perfection, amazing variety of breads, fruits, yoghurts--just about anything one could wish for.
The only negative is the one all upscale hotels share: charging for internet use. I think it was $19 a day, but even $1 is too much for people already paying premium prices for 5 star rooms.

Room Tip: Try to get near an elevator. The size of this place means a very long walk between them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NorthArrow
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay and our restaurants. Please note that there is complimentary internet provided for all Fairmont Presidents Club members and we invite you to join so you can receive all of the advantages the club has to offer.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo in the future.

Louis Starck, Hotel Director
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Fairmont sits on prime Monaco real estate overlooking the harbor and is quite literally built into the cliffs. One should expect it to be expensive and grand. The price and the lobby filled the bill. Rooms are spread out horizontally and the walks are long. The rooms were nice but not up to the price in space. Naturally, amenities are extra including $19.95 for internet in rooms and even the lobby. Cell phone and cell data reception was problematic in many areas. Do not miss the Japanese Gardens!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MountainTopTrader
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay to the upmost. We are continuously trying to improve in order to create an unforgettable experience for our guests.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Fairmont Monte Carlo again!

Louis Starck, Hotel Director
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Arrived her for 1 night prior to cruise, well what can I say the hotel looked lovely inside
with a singer and pianist but we had to wait 1 hour before we finally had to call a waiter over to take our drinks order.

A waiter dropped a glass bowl of pasta on the floor which broke it was left there for 10 minutes until "A little Black Boy" cleared it up , DISGUSTING.

The following morning breakfast was served not nice, well below par and again same ignorant waiter ignored us until I called another over and spoke in French.

Really wouldn't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank tigerwoman1964
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the Fairmont Monte-Carlo on Trip Advisor.

On behalf of the food and beverage department, I apologize for the experience that you had encountered at the restaurant. Please note, this is not the quality service that we pride ourselves on having. I would be happy to discuss this issue in further detail with you and I invite you to contact me directly at : louis.starck@fairmont.com.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte-Carlo.

Louis Starck
Hotel Director
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Nothing special about this hotel, the rooms are tired and not well serviced the numerous cigarette butts left by someone prior to us on the balcony floor remained for our entire visit.
Visited the hotels casino for the first time, the drinks water after delivering our drinks began saying something in French and aggressively thrusting his tray at me. Assuming he wanted payment for the drinks I placed a €25 chip on the tray, only after this did the roulette croupier advise me that drinks in the casino are free and I had just tipped the waiter £25. I noticed the same waiter doing the same thing to other customers during the evening, so beware.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to elevators or you can be in for a substantial walk to your room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Murrste
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Was staying with friends in the end of July, 2013.

The location of the hotel is good. The rooms were nice.
The hotel was almost full, therefore there was a need to book sun beds at the pool. But even when we booked, there was no our reservation: not for sun beds as well as for umbrellas. And the personal of the hotel didn't care about this much. All we were told " we could not help you with this" or " we can do nothing". I have hospitality background and I don't think that phrases like these are appropriate in such hotel chain like Fairmont.

What I really liked about the hotel was russian speaking man from Kazahstan from concierge department. He did his job very well.

Apparently there was my birthday during this period of time, and hotel presented for me a cake, which was also nice.

One day there was a storm and they change the place for breakfast. I understand that weather conditions are hard to prevent. But when I ordered oatmeal, I was waiting it for one hour. During this time I reminded them several times about it, but waiters weren't really attentive not only for me, for all guests. But the woman who was responsible for dress code always doesn't like how I was look like at the breakfast (because under my clothes was swim suit) and always made some comments about it. But when I wasn't happy with the service she always dissapeared.

Noticeable thing: when we arrived, the greeting letter was on the name of Mr. Vovchenko. But my friend is a woman ;)

The overall expression of the hotel was good. But I am in doubt would I stay there next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends