“Fantastic location, near everything!”

Fairmont Monte Carlo
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent five days here and loved it. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a "hair pin turn" room on the fourth floor and it was incredible! Our balcony room allowed us to people/tourist watch all day and night. The beds are super comfy and spacious. There are no vending machines, so you must call room service for ice. The bus stop is across the street, along with a McDonalds (try the banana bread cake at breakfast for 2.50 euros). The city bus comes every five minutes, is easy, and stops at the tourist spots. If you ever get lost, no worries...every city bus comes past the Fairmont! An exclusive mall is at the top of the hill. Banquet food served at this hotel was fabulous! When we ordered from the menu in the restaurant, we got an excellent hamburger and BLT with sodas and fries for about 62 euros. Robes and slippers come with the room. Taxis are readily available. A casino inside the hotel is nice and they even have a one cent machine! There are two other casinos next door and they are walkable! For a large selection of souvenirs, go to the Prince's palace where there are lots of shops and restaurants near the sites (Cathedral/oceanic museum, Napolean museum). Whatever you do here, bring a camera! The sites are breathtaking...even inside and outside the hotel! Join the Fairmont's presidents club loyalty program before arriving. It has several perks, including upgrades and using their locked business center to print boarding passes and check your email. The Nice, France airport is about 30 minutes away and costs about 90 euros one way. Make sure you have cash! Taxis are NOT equipped with credit card machines. Also, shops are closed on Sunday, but all the tourist spots are open on Sunday! US dollars can be exchanged at the front desk for Euros at no charge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Isky
FMC98, General Manager at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Fairmont Monte Carlo in a such precise way. The fact that you enjoyed your stay with us is the best reward we can get and it strengthens our commitment to offer our guests the best. I have already shared your satisfaction with all my teams who were delighted about it.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Monte Carlo.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,527)

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked the Fairmont to celebrate my 40th birthday with 3 friends. We had booked well in advance with a request for 2 twin rooms close to each other. When we arrived to check in we were told it was not possible to have twin rooms close to each other and bearing in mind the size of the hotel we found this ridiculous. After several hours (and a rather pleasant but hugely expensive lunch in the roof top restaurant) we were finally allocated 2 twin rooms next door to each other - not so hard really surely?
The twin rooms were a good size but the bathrooms a little on the small size - just a bath with shower over, however everywhere was clean and the housekeeping generally good.
The hotel itself has a series of "rules" which we were aware of before our visit thanks to trip advisor. I must say I have been lucky enough to stay in some first class hotels worldwide and have never come across corkage charges for any water/soft drinks/alcohol not purchased from the hotel. Other "rules" included charging to reserve sun loungers in the fabulous roof pool area, however to be told this and see many empty loungers that seemed to stay empty was very frustrating. Money talks I guess.
The breakfast was fantastic with amazing views over the ocean, just a shame the ladies at the front desk approach you in such an accusing manner when you come out of the lift.
The service throughout the hotel was mixed, the bar staff at the Billionaires Club were great, but try getting a taxi from the bellhops outside? Forget it unless you are top to toe Stella McCartney, one of them just walked away from me as I was mid sentence which I don't tolerate from my husband so I certainly didn't tolerate from him!! I did mention this to the management as I left and in fairness the manager was straight outside to speak to the person in question. The overall feeling here is that they are doing you a favour rather than the fact we've all paid good money to stay.
In summary, this place has a perfect location and should be fantastic but it is just a little bit up itself and money definitely talks. However my advice to them is you should never judge a book by its cover......

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Grasmere4033

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to report your experience at the Fairmont Monte Carlo on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel's situation. I have taken notice of your remark and would like to assure you that we pay very particular attention to offer our clients the best services possible. The hotel is offering a wide choice of restaurant, bar and In Room dining experiences that are available for our guests. Food coming into the hotel should be delivered to your room through the in room dining and a corkage fee should indeed apply. This is a food security and hygien procedure and is common in many hotels throughout the world.
Finaly, In order to guarantee the best experience possible, we offer the possibility to reserve swimming-pool transat in advance at a daily cost. Patrons may choose not to book them in advance and can of course enjoy the swiming pool and the transat, pending they are free ones upon arriving. I am available should you you wish to discuss your experience with me at your convenience.
I look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Monte Carlo very soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've stayed in some very nice hotels and some very bad ones. I won't say that the be at the Fairmont was as bad as the cheap motels I've stayed at but it's not much better. Very surprising and disappointing. Hotel staff confirmed all the rooms have the same style bed. On the upside I stayed in one f the rooms overlooking the hairpin turn of the formula one track. Just without the formula one cars.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to report your experience at the Fairmont Monte Carlo on TripAdvisor. I regret to hear about your bad experience. It is of course not the kind of experience we would like to offer our guests.
I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience so we can discuss this episode.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

The see view room is a must , the hotel is pricey but it is a walking distance from the Monte Carlo casino and the a famous bar is right next door,the Stuff was quite friendly, Loved the rooftop pool area and Breakfast was delicious , although the hallway leading towards the room got a bit smelly in the evening.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Good hotel. AMAZING ROOFTOP!!!!

1. Rooms -- Clean, well kept, in beachy feel. Soft/comfy beds. Good, clean bath.
2. Service -- check in was a bit of a hassle because they make you fill out a lot of paperwork, but I guess that's just a part of being out of the country.
3. Pool - AMAZING! It's on the roof overlooking the mountains. At night it becomes a lounge called "Billionaire" with a DJ/lights/etc. SOOOOOO NICE!
4. Food -- Great food! They have a rooftop restaurant with a great breakfast buffet and good food for the other meals. The best part is the view!
5. Casino -- typical casino. Flashy/lights/typical games.

Would 100% stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was in Monte Carlo because of a Conference held at the Fairmont: the location behind the Casino on the hairpin curve is great. Staff at the front desk is very friendly, special requests made before arrival, in connection with the room, were met perfectly. The hallway leading to the room was rather smelly, the closer I got to the room, probably due to some water damage. The room however was spotless and of adequate size with a balcony overlooking part of the harbour and the helipad. The ironing board and iron supplied was a welcome commodity. The toiletries were of excellent quality – wish I knew where to buy the body lotion, which is outstanding. The costs for accessing the internet are too high, as in all the better hotels. I still fail to understand why low price chains can offer free internet while the expensive places overprice the service. The view from the roof top terrace restaurant, where we had a welcome reception, was spectacular, the appetizers tasty but the warm mains served on the buffet only lukewarm and rather bland – had expected better since this was a Fairmont. Desserts offered however were very good. Breakfast was served away from the regular guests in a separate room with a spectacular view over the Mediterranean, alas the choice of bread minimal and the scrambled eggs totally tasteless. Luncheons were served in the same room but the wait to get to the only two buffets set up lengthy, as more than 200 people attended, and the seating was very cramped. Staff was mostly helpful and pleasant. Drinks at the bar were pricy, as expected. All in all, a good experience but not affordable for everyone. A word of advice if you want to go to the Casino outside the hotel: dress appropriately – I saw some tourists trying unsuccessfully to enter in shorts and flip flops…

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have a courtyard view and are more quiet, but of course one is usually willing to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us on trip Advisor. We are delighted to recevive such positive comments. I have shared them with my team and all are very proud to have exceeded your hopes.

We consider your comments to be our best reward. We will continue working on the facilities and service improvement, such as the breakfast service, which unfortuntely seems not having met your expectations.

Moreover, and making reference to your comment about the price of the WIFI, please note that it can be free of charge by registering to our Fairmont President's Club loyalty program which is complimentary.

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon to The Fairmont Monte Carlo.

Sincerly yours,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

In Monte-Carlo, you do feel like you're in a fairy-land or some time of other world. Approaching the Fairmont which is the site of the Gran Prix Hairpin Turn, you know you are arriving at somewhere different. Yes, it costs but you have accommodating staff trying to satisfy you in every way. We had a sea and town view and it was so beautiful to look at from our balcony. The roof top Horizon Restaurant served up delicious meals. We had a great hamburger at the poolside restaurant. Yes, it costs but it was so worth it. The property is just behind the Grand Casino, it is near a bus stop, and shopping malls. The waves were loud??? You're in a hotel that is built on pilings in the water--of course the waves are loud but what would you expect? Would love to return. It was wonderful.

Room Tip: If you don't have a seaview room, you may be overlooking an interior courtyard or the helipad!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple