“Room with a view”

Le Meridien Beach Plaza
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This trip i was hosting several customers, all of whom were also staying at the hotel. I had a room on the corner which gave me a lovely view of the beach/sea from the small terrace.

When i entered the room it smelled great but after a few hours the smell of cigarette smoke appeared and i could not move as the hotel was full. Did not think a hotel of this quality would allow smoking in its rooms.

Breakfast was a highlight and the location of the hotel was brilliant and staff generally were excellent. Bad bits were the hotel could do with a makeover and the overt presence of prostitutes in the bar areas at night. Overall not a bad hotel but not excellent either although i loved Monaco as a destination

Room Tip: There is an Italian on the promenade if you turn left out of the hotel main entrance which is reason...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Guest from Edimburg, thank you very much for having taken the time to share your comments following your stay with us. Happy to hear that you love Monaco as a destination, it is indeed a stunning place to stay with events, concerts, and animations all year round. We try to offer our guests the best experience as possible and we’re happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Regarding your comment about the smoking-room you were allocated in, please note that we indeed propose non-smoking and smoking rooms to the guests. The next time you would like to book with us, please mention to our reservations your preferences and we’ll do our best to fit with them. All our apologies if this part of your stay didn’t give you entire satisfaction. In regards to the inconveniences mentioned at the bar, I’d like to precise that like all the hotels in Monaco we strongly collaborate with the local authorities to fight against this kind of disturbances. On a positive note, we sincerely do hope to welcome you back in a near future! We would be delighted to try to offer you more than a bed and a breakfast, but a full Le Méridien experience! With my very best regards, Manuel de Vasconcelos, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business - with the same conference as the last three comments! In the advanced party, I arrived on the Sunday and first impressions were very good. Super-quick check in, a relaxed atmosphere on the outside terraces that overlooked the private beach, attentive service and warm weather - very nice. I then went up to my room where I was quite disappointed. Although absolutely spotless, I was glad I wasnt paying! Not being of the 'upgrade calibre,' my room overlooked the main road at the back of the hotel - I was slightly to the right of the main entrance and on the 4th floor. It seemed quite dark (didnt get any sunlight until around 5pm) and the curtains and the voiles were hanging off their runners; they would not close properly and didnt meet in the middle, which for a 5 star hotel is inexcusable. However, it was rectified whilst at dinner that same evening. The bathroom needed some TLC; some of the grouting looked dirty, a bulb was out and the mirrors took an absolute age to de-mist after showering. An extraction system or de-misting mirrors wouldnt go amiss. There definitely needs to be double glazing, or if it is indeed fitted, it needs to be upgraded - urgently. The night time noise from outside (and inside) the hotel is very apparent. I averaged approximately 4 hrs sleep a night and when attending conference sessions that start at 8.30am, this is not conducive to a good day's work. I considered asking to be moved but on the other side of the hotel (as those of up-gradeable calibre discovered.......) there was a construction project underway so I decided that I may as well stay put. On one particular occasion, a very noisy group of people decided to sit outside the main entrance on a wall below my room. They woke me at approximately 3.30am and all I could hear were the sounds of one of the lady's (and I use that term loosely) extolling her drunken virtues to the whole street. After about 20 minutes, she was still going full throttle so I decided that a glass of water over her head was the only way she (and her party) would clear off.............it worked! What really surprised me is that Concierge allowed this group to stay as long as they did. If I hadnt 'dampened her spirits' I wonder how long they would have stayed and how many other people they would have woken up! Another annoyance was the revving of engines at 5am just outside! Ferraris and Lamborghinis are particularly common in Monte Carlo so I would imagine that the locals are accustomed to these noises but Joe Public from Dartford, surprisingly is not!

Anyway, back to the hotel - as already mentioned, the food was plentiful and extremely tasty, and yes, all buffet style. I have to recommend their cheese and tomato omelette for breakfast - gorgeous - and it was hot! The lunch and evening buffets were also plentiful and again, extremely tasty. One little downside is that whilst chewing your last mouthful, the plate is whisked away.........no mopping up with a bread roll - its obviously not the done thing in Monte Carlo. The prices were extortionate, again I was very glad I wasnt paying - €8 for a diet coke.......really!!?? I understand it's Monte Carlo and it's probably priced competitively with surrounding establishments of the same calibre but come on.............!

The conference facilities were excellent and enjoyed some lovely views, with little balconies attached to each meeting room - great for tea break.

I would like to comment on Monte Carlo itself but due to no free time, I cant. I can however recommend the ambience of the Sea Lounge which is approximately a 10 minute walk to the right of the hotel. We were taken there one evening and enjoyed 'our escape' into the outside world. It overlooks the sea, themed in grey, white and black with lots of mirrors, soft seats - lots of them, and artificial sand (which is rather painful on the feet when kicking off the heels for a dance!) The music is excellent - very Ibiza chillout at times. Perfect. (However, I do have to tell you that every year, it is closed down, stripped out and re-built so it will be totally different for 2014).

Overall, I did enjoy my stay at Le Meridien - as did my waist line! When the building work has been completed, the rooms have been refurbished and double-glazing installed/upgraded, I would recommend a business trip to this hotel.

Pros: spotlessly clean; excellent service; excellent food, and lots of it; lovely terraces and
views (when the building work has been completed); it's Monte Carlo..........
Cons: noise; ladies of the night (depends on your views I suppose); noise, prices; oh and did I
mention the noise......

Room Tip: Sea view room (when building works completed) and go as high as you can.
1  Thank fluffyduck69
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Le Méridien Beach Plaza.

We are really sorry to read that you have been disappointed by your stay and regret not having been aware of your disturbances during your stay.

Your feedback is very important to us as it allows us to maintain and improve the level of services for which we are recognized for.

In regards of the room you stayed in, we took note of your comments, analyzed them with the staff concerned, and proceed to address the problems with the bathroom . Concerning the problem you had with the curtains, we hope that our intervention helped to solve this particular matter.
All the room’s windows are already double glazed, but we are currently replacing most of them with an improved version in order to ensure a more peaceful stay to our guests.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay such as the beach, the service, the conference rooms and the food. Your comments have been shared among the staff and we are very happy about it.
The conference center of the hotel is indeed very convenient, allowing guests to hold meetings with views over the Mediterranean and outside terraces for relaxing moments.

Thank you once again for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention.

We hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you to Le Méridien Beach Plaza in the near future and improve the image that you now kept. Please let us know if we can be of help.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Really enjoyed the food and the location of this hotel. The staff were extremely efficient and helpful. The service and quality of the breakfast was world class.
We had a beach barbecue which consisted of scallops, rib eye, tepanyaki prawns with lots of side dishes.
My room was not great, in need of a lick of paint and the bathroom although very clean was ready for a re-fit. I stayed at this hotel 15 years ago and the rooms have not been refurbished since then.
The private beach was lovely and the sea very clear. Outdoor and indoor pools both very inviting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from main busy road.
1  Thank WilliamVR
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the comment you took the time to write about your recent stay at Le Méridien Beach Plaza.

Guests’ satisfaction is indeed what matters us most and it is very rewarding to read that we succeed.

Concerning the condition of the room you stayed in, please be assured that your comments have been analyzed with all the involved and will be used to improve and correct the points mentioned. We are currently doing the yearly plan of regular rooms maintenance and will make sure that the points you referred will be addressed at the same time..

We have been truly happy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including the food, the service and the beach.

Your comments have pleasantly been shared with all the staff involved.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you at Le Méridien Beach Plaza in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed June 10, 2013

As with another recent reviewer on here I was there with a conference group, in fact the same one!! I therefore write this review from two perspectives - firstly, the company paid for me to be there, and secondly, how would I feel if I had paid for it myself. The good bits? The service is excellent, the place is spotlessly clean, it is a very comfortable hotel, it's right on the beach, and if you are there for a conference then the facilities are excellent. The bad bits? It's tired!!! It was probably ultra-modern some years ago but lacks something now. The prices are exorbitant but then again it is Monte Carlo so I'm not that surprised. The building works going on to the side of the hotel, next to the beach, are obviously temporary, and are possibly nothing to do with the hotel, but it's worth checking whether or not they are still ongoing if you are staying here at any time in 2013. Breakfast outside in the morning is lovely, however, having your fillings rattled out as another lorry dumps it's load of hard-core on to the building site at 7,30am as you are eating your breakfast is not the most serene of experiences. The prostitutes that frequent the place later in the evening, whilst entertaining to some may be a downside for others. Again, it's Monte Carlo, and this is undoubtedly a problem not confined to this hotel. Security and the police seem quite efficient at dealing with the problem and it is quite funny to watch rich playboys gnashing their teeth as their entertainment for the evening is wheeled away by the police

Room Tip: Facing the sea providing the building works have finished
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Hubby and I stayed at the Le Meridien Beach Plaza after a week in Paris. It was a nice change from the rental apartment. The bed was plush and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit odd -- there is a window pane in the bathroom door. The bath tub had a glass shower door that only covered 1/3 of the tub so when you take a shower water is spilling over all the walls and floor.

The unfortunate part of the Le Meridien hotel was the cleaning service. They only made our bed and cleaned our room once. A little disappointing.

Room Tip: Be ready to pay a lot for the room. But, then again, we were in Monaco. Also, you have to pay for...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our marketing people are always looking for the bigger thrill, and after last year at the Arts in Barcelona, I was assured that this was better. I would probably not agree with that except for one aspect, which is the excellent service level - a level of service so high, that if you blink, your coffee cup will be removed. I was part of a conference group of about a hundred people using the conference center of the hotel. All food except breakfast was buffet style.
The location is somewhat at the eastern edge of Monaco, away from the action, and as previous comments have said you need transport to get to the local action in a reasonable time. Monte Carlo is built into the side of a mountain, and to get from one street to the next, you either go up a steep hill, up a flight of stairs or up one of the free local escalators, once you have found them. I did not have enough free time to work out the buses, and walked everywhere. This is practicable, but takes time in the hot weather.
The stay was just after the grand prix, but even so, the hotel was full all the time. It is a stylish environment, built for style and not necessarily function. It is very modern, but the room that I had at the front of the hotel was sufficiently traditional to have the expected stuff. The room was of adequate size (I was not upgraded, and did not get to the 11th floor which is where the big rollers go.) My main issue was one of insufficient workspace, as the desk was a bit small, and inadequate night time lighting - very difficult to read in bed at night as the reading light was quite dim.
I am glad I was not paying as the prices are astronomical. Breakfast buffet is 35Euros, a glass of beer about 11, and if you feel the need, a condom from the minibar is 6 euros as is the chewing gum. Strangely enough, there was a voucher for a free cup of coffee at the bar.
I took my breakfast outdoors each day. It was spoiled by excessive building work going on an adjacent site, and I was told that those who had room overlooking the sea were disturbed by the noise. The breakfast buffet is above average, but the hot buffet suffers from lack of hotness which was a feature of all the food in the hotel. Whilst the quality of all the food I ate was excellent, except for those rare occasions where I could get something that had come straight from the stove, luke-warmness was the order of the day. One measure of how good a breakfast buffet is, is to find the sparkling wine. I looked for it, did not find it, and on enquiry was told if I wanted sparkling wine at breakfast, I would have to buy it from the bar.
The buffet lunches and private dines were of excellent quality, and the most impressive one was an oriental and middle eastern night where there was a huge variety of international dishes of excellent quality. Some almost hot.
Public areas are crowded, and this is a young persons' hotel. No elderly tourists or visible coach parties. It seems a lot of business comes from the conference center.
One of the most excellent things was the outdoor heated pool. It is big, and as a serious swimmer, in the early evening it was pretty deserted, and although irregular in shape, it was possible to swim about a 40M length. It was heated to 27C and I even went in there when raining. Note that it is chlorinated salt water, so tastes a bit funny.
I personally did not care for Monte Carlo/Monaco. It was quite pretty but seemed almost Disney like in execution. I am always interested in the local culture and that simply does not exist for the eyes of the temporary visitor. I found nothing to buy.

Room Tip: Depends how much building work is going on. I am told the 11th floor is good. I had the second floor...
1  Thank mgoldman666
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor and to let us have your detailed comments about your experience.
We really appreciate your feedback that will allow us to correct and improve our services.

Our guests satisfaction is indeed what matters us most and we are truly sorry for not having fully reached your well deserved expectations.

We usually receive very good comments in regards to our food choices and service. Please accept our sincere apologies for not having your meals served warm enough.
Your comments have been shared and analysed among all the staff involved, in order to avoid similar problems in the future.

We also apologize for the size of the desk and the lighting of your bed not being sufficient enough to read. We regret not having been aware of this before you checked out, as maybe we could have offered you another room in order to best fit your requirements.

We will take in consideration your recommendations regarding pricing for revision in the next opportunity and we are glad that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay.

Thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you to Le Méridien Beach Plaza in the future and improve the image that you now kept.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Booked this hotel for wife's birthday and was very disappointed expected better in monaco
Our sea view included views of a building site were work started at 6.30 am also we got no sleep as the night club next door played music outside until 4.30 am no door seals or double glazing to keep the noise out and staff that ignored us when we complained the food was ok and over priced the hotel appears to be more suited to conferences and business needs than individual travellers the beach was small but overlooked by the building site our only blessing was we only had one night would not recommend this hotel
The only positive is that you can get the express coach back to nice airport across the road from the hotel it costs 20 euro each but gets you back to the airport in 30 minutes and runs every 30 minutes during the day

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs sea view has views of building site rooms at back main road
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know about your last stay at Le Méridien Beach Plaza and please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences encountered.
We fully empathize with your sentiments regarding the outside noise of the construction next door. We understand how annoying this must have been and please be assured that every effort is made to minimize the discomfort of our guests. Construction noises should not start before 9.00 am, however we unfortunately do not have any control on it.
Concerning the outside night club, they are allowed by the Principality to play music until 4 am, but we understand how inconvenient this might have been for you and we will forward you comments to their Management.
We regret immensely and apologize for the way you have been treated by some members of our staff. Your comments should obviously have been taken very seriously (our guest’s comments are very important as they only allow us to continuously improve our services)and some kind of follow up should have happened. We have shared your comments with all our teams in order to avoid such impression in the future.
All the room’s windows are already double glazed, but we are currently replacing some of them with an improved version in order to ensure a more peaceful stay to our guests.
We would be very honoured if you would give us a chance of addressing the image that you now kept . Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you think about coming back to Monte Carlo, or if you think we may be of any help in the future.

Best Regards,