“Great location, food ok”
Review of Virage

Virage
Ranked #52 of 133 Restaurants in Monte-Carlo
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Isle of Wight UK
“Great location, food ok”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We came across this restaurant through Tripadvisor and dropped in for a quick lunch whilst waiting for our hotel room to be ready. The restaurant is very smart – contemporary décor and all in white and has great views on the port – perfect for people-watching.

The restaurant quickly fills at lunchtime with many people taking the menu du jour option at 17 euros. Whilst this is good value, the food wasn’t amazing – certainly not bad but not special either. The offer was a chicken breast in a curry sauce with rice, followed by some small cakes which whilst pretty didn’t have much flavour, with a glass of wine, water and bread. Good value, but we weren’t impressed enough to return for dinner at a la carte prices. A fun, buzzy scene though!

1 Thank IOWtravelbabes

Monte Carlo
“Avoid unless, you want bad service and cold food!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I arrived at the Virage for my first visit last week for a "late" dinner at just about 10 pm with two friends - one who knew one of the owners and thought I should try it. I was intrigued. While I was parking the car, the ladies went in to get a table. With about 5 or 6 tables (including a large party in a singing and drinking kind of mood) still eating, they were told the kitchen was closed and turned away. Not one to take "no" for an answer, I asked the person who greeted us at the door whether we could have a quick dinner and promised we would order very quickly. Sebastien, who seemed to be in charge, said sure have a seat. this was my lucky night! Two great friends, a friendly joint and the anticipation of good food about to grace our table....

I ordered pumpkin soup with Foie Gras and I also ordered the Daube de Boeuf a regional provencal beef stew. I asked the waitress if she could tell the chef that my food must be piping hot and given the "late" issue with the kitchen they could be both served together.

Strangely, after a long 40 minute plus wait the food came out. The soup was tepid to cold and the Daube was unevenly heated running cold to warmer depending where the fork penetrated. I slid my finger under the meat, the plate was cold, the sauce a frigid murky puddle I asked Sebastien to send this to the kitchen to re-heat my food. He cleared my stew, clearly condemning it to the microwave - as It came back sauceless and dry nuked. Rather than reheating in a saucepan it had been killed dry parts of the meat were burnt the meat edges, I gave up sending that back.

As for the soup he pronounced from on high that pumpkin soup cannot be served hot! He refused point blank to reheat it. I ate the unseasoned foie gras floating in the middle on a piece of bread at least that was warm though over cooked and then beckoned a second time to the waitress out of ear shot of Sebastien to reconsider heating up my soup bowl. She took it away, bringing it back properly heated in a bowl three times the size of the previous one now with a lid, a soup bowl so gargantuan that the soup now occupied less than a centimeter on the bottom. What silly Billy's!

The singing table of 10 near us was being served dessert and we all thought the night would be saved by a delicious (hopefully) sweet finale. Immediately after she cleared our plates, the waitress brought us the bill... Incredulous, I asked her what they had for dessert. She frowned and said that we could not have dessert -- the kitchen had closed! Not even ice cream? Why did she not offer us the chance to order dessert when she took our order? Ask Sebastien. I did, but he went on into a diatribe of ignorant culinary invectives suggesting I knew nothing about food and even less about gastronomy and that "everybody" knows that pumpkin soup should never be served warm let alone hot. Furthermore, that I should recognize how he was doing us a favor allowing us in at all. I said are you the chef? He said I am! I designed this soup. I was starting to think that in fact he had let the kitchen go home after all and it was he who had actually done the amateur meal that became our dinner? I asked for future reference when does the kitchen closes? "When I want - sometimes at 1am I decide" his chest puffing like a bus ticket inspector! I thought this guy needs a hat of some sort to strengthen his authority or a maybe uniform with a name tag., My friend did not like how the evening had evolved nor the tone of our conversation. She said to me in english that we should just leave that she had had enough with his rudeness and would reveal his multitude of failings to the owner she knew, naming him by name. Then like a child running in the school yard, he reached for his cell phone and began calling the person my friend had mentioned - braying to him like the class snitch, tittle tattling nonsense, "Here! Talk to him now!" he said to my friend who was heading out of the restaurant - as he followed her trying to press the phone into her hand. This guy's a joke! His management ability nonexistent and his people skills seriously lacking. Time to take a Virage to a new career, one that does not involve the service industry.

1 Thank Monaco377
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Great location, good food let down by indifferent service.”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Superb location overlooking the harbour and Quai Albert. Ideal for people watching and a place to see and be seen. The Virage was shimmering and gleaming white in the early spring sunshine on the day of my visit. Short eclectic lunch menu with fine fish dishes and good selection of meat dishes too. Very expensive and limited wine list which was surprising given the quality of the food. The place was busy with many sizeable groups of regular customers . This spoilt the service and overall experience for other diners. Indifferent, brusque and slow - not good enough for such a high class and high cost place. Overall plenty of style but not enough substance.

Flatts Village, Bermuda
“Excellent food, service and location”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We dined at Virage on New Year's Eve. The location is excellent, across from the harbour. The food is delicious. Service is great. I would definitely return on my next visit to Monte Carlo.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Lana4552
Vienna, Austria
“Excellent food, service, and ambient: you pay a lot and you get a lot”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went there for a Sunday brunch. Location is nice, it is on the water and looking at the yachts. The restaurant is all white and shiny. We did not book a table. We were immidiately welcomed by the staff, which was very helpful. First we were struck by the price of the brunch menu (38 eur) but then we decided to go for it. It was worth. You get full breakfast and full lunch and you can take as much as you want of excellent foods. Staff is very helpful, service is quick. Most of the guests looked like wealthy families on Sunday gatherings. Food was delicious. If you do not wish to take the Brunch menu, you can opt for other dishes.

1 Thank TravelF0rW0rkAndFun