“Beautiful Hotel, Service :(”

Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We passed through from Paris on our way to Milan, and my husband picked this hotel from the Conde Naste Top 50 European Hotel that he wanted to visit. We loved the scenic location and the opportunity to visit Monaco, but felt the service was just mediocre. From the okay check-in to the frustrated housekeeper to our check-out/temporarily misplaced suitcase and our night-prior taxi for 5--request not followed through upon (i.e. none & had to wait which was stressful, then had to wait quite a while for a 2nd taxi, with a pre-booked ticket on the train to Italy to meet)...factor +20 mins. at getaway time for bungled service. (Really not appreciated when traveling with 3 kids/teens.)

As this is a lovely old building, the rooms are updated and beautifully appointed. Our rooms really were gorgeous, and I believe our suite was upgraded (2 BR/2Baths + a large livingroom). Since we did carry-on luggage for the trip, we often use the bellman on the way in, but not on the way out. The elevator coming down required many stairs (one our floor to the elevator and the beautiful marble staircase from the lobby) and in looking for a second elevator so we could return to the ground floor required some hunting (+ 10 mins. and the use of a service elevator and a very helpful/kind service/custodian man. The one closest to our room only went from floor 1 (one floor above the ground) to the upper floors. (Use the bellmen both coming/going to save frustration.)

This hotel did have the most amazing mini bar items, including a cute little stuffed rabbit maybe 8" tall that could be given as a baby gift (for 46 Euros). I can't recall all the items, but they were extensive. Also, because my husband often checks out in the lobby as I am finishing my last bit of packing, a fellow came to verify what was missing from the mini bar before my husband was able to complete his transaction downstairs...understandably, but have never been interrupted in my last minute packing before. We really felt the Monaco area had a Vegas meets Waikiki vibe.

Security, we are told is the best in Monaco, as there are camera on every street plus the ratio per capita is quite high for the police force they employ. When we entered the main lobby were we stopped about 10 feet inside the main/lobby door to explain that we were guests of the hotel. (I guess that's good news/bad news. I did not feel very welcomed, but am glad they don't let everyone circulate through the hotel.)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank KatSchulz
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo

Reviewed June 15, 2011

Food, service - everything so good. I love the grill on the top floor- but they're all good.

Room Tip: I always request a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alastair26
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed a night at the Hotel de Paris during our honeymoon and it was just amazing. The hotel was a real standout, even amongst all the beautiful places we stayed on our trip.

The decor screams luxury in every room (i'm not usually one to pose for photos near a lobby floral arrangement!) and I'm still dreaming about our bathroom. The shower had about 6 spouts so it massaged you from every angle. aaah.

We were upgraded to a corner suite (due to honeymoon, I'd say) and it was all beautiful with an amazing view over the sea. The staff could not have been nicer. It's rare you find somewhere this fancy where the staff don't have any attitude and they're all genuinely wanting to help.

You must go up to the Grill restaurant. The food was beautiful but the silver service was extraordinary. And when they open the roof....beautiful.

Staying at this hotel will also get you access to the whole casino. just remember to bring a jacket for men (oops). I'd recommend this place to anyone who can afford it.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emily77
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The nicest hotel in Monte-Carlo! Incredible views from our balcony. Really nice staff. The bed was soooooooo comfortable. The hotel restaurants are really yummy. Just a wonderful experience. My only tip would be is for you to check and see if the maids lower "black-out" shades outside your windows. We were unaware these existed and were lowered. We way overslept. Anyway, my husband and I agree - we would go back again!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hurrysquirrel
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Oh my. I have stayed in many, many 5-star luxury hotels, but nothing like this.

The hotel epitomizes urbane, pristine and seamless palatial luxury. And with the "gourmet package" special rate currently available that gives a food credit of 200 euros and also includes breakfast, an impossibly good buy!

Upon arrival, it was a bit problematic trying to find the valet, but at this time they were getting ready for the Grand Prix. Once inside, the opulent over-the-top lobby, yet relaxed atmosphere sitting down with the pleasant staff to check in and be personally ushered to your room for instruction is what I expected.

What I did not expect was the perfection of the room. It started with an elegant entry foyer. Wood floors were covered with custom area rugs that blended seemlessly with upholstery and other furnishings. Floor-to-ceiling cabinets covered one whole wall and included the tv console and wardrobe closets, some drawers. Hand-made cast bronze lamps and an oversized headboard gave some relief to the over-the-top opulence and moldings. Historic artwork. Bathrooms were a sea of marble, brass and glass with even the La Prairie condiments, bathrobe and slippers carefully arranged. Everything in the room was immaculate and truly pristine, almost ready for a magazine spread in Architectural Digest.

Breakfast with eggs-to-order and the best in coffee, fruit, meats, pastries down to the gourmet jam was a great way to start another perfect day on the French Riveria. It is on the terrace outside.

Is such immaculate decadence in such a perfect materialistic world my cup of tea? After all the superlatives I've ladled, to be frank, not really. This is not the life style I'm accustomed to and it was almost too much! I found the casualness of the Splendido in Portofino or Le Sirenuse in Positano more approachable. But for a one-time experience where Ferrari, Austin, Rolls, Bentley and Lamborghini's are in constant parade outside the front of the hotel, you should partake in this adult La Dolce Vida just once in your life.

A week before, I bought a Leading Hotels of the World frequent stay membership (it is not free and costs $100), and sure enough they upgraded us to a "partial" bay view room (seemed like a "full view" to me) overlooking the yacht harbor and Grimaldi palace. There was a $75 box of chocolates waiting in the room welcoming me to the club. I also got upgraded in my next hotel at the Splendido in Portofino, so if you are going in shoulder season, this may be a good risk for you to take. You can join up to 3 days (local time) and still have it apply to your stay.

The only negative was the sometimes defensive haughtiness the doormen. They would make comments under their breath about certain people coming through the door, thinking no one could hear them (or maybe not caring if they did).

Room Tip: Join the Leading Hotels of the World membership
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank ScottN
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Monte Carlo is an alternate universe, where only glamour, style and hedonism exists. It's great to live in this universe for a couple of days, and no hotel accompanies the experience better then the Hotel De Paris. It is simply amazing.

The location is really perfect. It is right at the Place De Casino and the famous and lively Cafe De Paris and it also offers breathtaking views of Monte Carlo port.
We booked a sea view room and i must say that this is a must - the views are so beautiful that it really is worth the extra cash.

Service was top notch from beginning to end. The valet who took our car away and handled the luggage, the reception lady, the guy who showed us to our room, the concierge and the breakfast team - all had treated us like royalty. truly a class act.

The property is amazing, both inside and outside, the room itself was beautiful and large, expensive La Prairie cosmetics in the bathroom, and amazing terrace overlooking the port and the city with all its glamour.

If you go to MC, i would highly recommend a sea view room at the Hotel De Paris. It has been a long time since i enjoyed giving a 5 star rating to a hotel like i enjoy giving it to this one. it so deserve it.

Room Tip: A sea view room with a terrace is a must
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank coffeebar
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My travels this week brought me to the very beautiful French Riviera, a place that fills me with absolute delight every time I visit. Monte Carlo in fact! A place of beauty, glamour and serenity; all wrapped up in one.

My jet landed in Nice’s international airport just shortly after lunchtime on Monday. Thankfully, travel time to Monte Carlo is only 35 minutes by car - and in my case only seven by chopper… But, don’t fret if you haven’t already booked your connection to your hotel, as there will be a swarm of eager taxi men awaiting you at the arrival area.

I had reserved my favorite room at the Hotel De Paris, overlooking the fabulous Mediterranean coastline and only a few steps away from the Casino de Monte Carlo; The home of my very first roulette win and the birthplace of my love for the game. In similar style to Bond, I much prefer the sophistication of this European casino as apposed to the bright lights of the Vegas strip. And of course, no other casino in the world quite serves a Martini like these fine French do…

The Casino de Monte Carlo is highly regarded as the most notable building in the area and includes the Grande Theatre where you will be able to view the most wonderful opera and ballet performances. The Casino itself plays host to the prestigious annual European Poker Tour Grand Final, and is a must see for any enthusiastic punter. Presenting Europe’s most unique and diverse selection of table games this fine place really does have royal status for a reason. My favorite of the table games has to be the Punto Banco and the Ultimate Texas Hold’em. If you prefer to play on machines, then you will not be disappointed by the array of 1000 games that represents the largest collection in Europe. You have everything from branded to Multiplicateur and fantastic progressive jackpots also.

When visiting the 150-year-old Casino de Monte Carlo, Hotel de Paris really is the perfect destination. The casino itself does not have any accommodation and so this hotel offers you the closest you will find to a full resort experience. Within the hotel itself there are 82 rooms, 74 suites and junior suites, and one presidential suite. You can guess which one I choose… There are also three fantastic restaurants within the hotel, my favorite being Le Louis XV - Alain Ducasse - A fabulously extravagant restaurant, with the finest French food and wine that you will ever find. However, do be prepared to pay at least €200 per head.

Once you have collected your winnings you may wish to relax in the American Bar, where you will be greeted by a wonderful musical ambience. For the ladies, there are numerous boutiques, salons and amenities available to keep you entertained all day long. And of course the most beautiful spa in the world, Les Thermes Marins de Monte-Carlo is attached directly to the hotel and offers a wonderful range of wellness treatments and fitness programs.

If your pockets are deep, come to Monte Carlo during the Grand Prix weekend and soak up the unforgettable atmosphere; you’ll be sure to play against some real high rollers during that weekend.

A wonderful week in a wonderful place… I so look forward to my next visit here soon… J

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business