“Another tourist trap”

Bar Restaurant l'Express
Ranked #7 of 100 Restaurants in Monaco-Ville
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Situated in the old town, this small restaurant offers a typical local dishes and a very warm welcome. The terrace with lounge-style sofas is located behind the cathedral . The service is all day long in summer.
London, United Kingdom
“Another tourist trap”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Really if you choose to eat on the Rock of Monaco you are asking for trouble as this area only exists for tourists, you never see a local eating at any one of these places. The restaurants rarely see their customers more than once in a lifetime so they serve to the lowest common denominator and the only qualification for a waiter here is a basic grasp of five languages. You cannot blame them but don't be surprised as you are number not a customer. They have a great line in bonhomie but at the end of the day they hope you will eat quickly and go.

I would like to offer a recommendation for a restaurant in this area but sadly only one very small one exists on the rock and that has almost no outdoor tables and no view and so does not really tick the boxes for a sunny lunchtime experience. My suggestion would be visit Monaco early and take your lunch down the coast somewhere like the Cosmo in Villefranche or in Beaulieu. You wont save money but you'll be spared the agony of being part of the cruise ship cash cow that is the Monaco Ville restaurant scene.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank SirGeorge61

Hockley, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This restaurant has tables outside in the sunshine, it has a lovely mediterranean feel about it. it is busy and there are many waiters. Our waiter was very smily and helpful. He quickly cleared the table and had us seated with menus in just a few minutes. We had a crispy prawn salad and a cesar salad, a portion of fries and a bottle of wine. The portions were generous and it tasted very fresh and light. A delightful lunch in a lovely location. Approx 48 Euros total.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Jandy44
Jerusalem, Israel
“great pizzas”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The staff was really helpful, the food delicious and the bier really cold.
We arrive on the day of the foot final between Barcelona and Porto, it was very hot and humid, and the town was full of supporters, we found there some shade and some peace.
Great place

• Visited August 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
“Awesome food, nice ambiance; Wished that we had more time to enjoy”
Reviewed December 18, 2009

My wife and I stopped here to eat after a short tour of Monaco-Ville and the changing-of-the-guard ceremony at the Palace. The wait staff we friendly, courteous, accommodating, and multilingual.

Out tour guide left us with about an hour to eat and get back to the tour bus. We wandered down this street until we stumbled into this place.

They were having specials on various fish dishes, so I decided to try one. My wife ordered a pasta dish. After about 20 minutes, I decided to get up and find a small nearby shop for souvenirs. When I returned, the meals still hadn't arrived. However, I noticed that no one else seated near us had received their orders yet either. After another 10-15 minutes, I finally decided to check with the staff and asked if they could make our orders to-go. Around the same time, the other nearby tables received their orders. Shortly thereafter, we got our but not in to-go boxes. (To-go might not be a familiar term at this location.)

After hurriedly eating our meals, we had to pay and run to our waiting. Before leaving the restaurant, we apologized to the waiter. Upon further reading and observations, the long wait was not necessarily the fault of the restaurant. Due to my misinterpretation of the menu, I miscalculated the prices and our bill turned out to be a little higher than anticipated. However the food was worth it!

The food was awesome though! The portions were absolutely large! The fish was great in taste and presentation, and the sides were fabulous. My wife's past dish was good too, but too large to finish.

This restaurant is not a place to go to if you have very limited time, like we had. If you do have enough time (I'd recommend at least 2 hours), do visit this place!

London
“Charming with great, welcoming service”
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We both had the ceaser salad and it was absolutely delicious, generous portions and flavoured with a few unusual herbs. The waiting staff we really really friendly and the service was quick and efficient.