“Very underwhelming”

Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Fontvieille
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

we walked into beef bar last week and were greeted by a rude hostess, we then were taken to our table which happened to be at the very back of the place by the bathrooms. We had requested to be sat out on their patio type thing. We then decided that we didn't want to sit at the back and were going to leave, the manager quickly reseated us at a much better table. We then placed our orders, for a group of 3 we all shared 3 appetizers and 3 entrees. We had Tuna Tartare, Beef Tartare and something else that I've forgotten, for mains we had Ribeye, Black Burger and Langostine risotto.

the first bottle of wine we ordered was soured and very bad, we sent this back and there seemed to be no problem (though the manager insisted it was good).

The 2nd bottle was much better, the wine list is a little odd but has some good values on it.

the Beef and Tuna appetizers were great. That's where the fun stopped though, the Black Burger (truffle etc) was overcooked, we requested medium rare, it was medium well, the steak was somewhat charred on the outside and also slightly overcooked and the langostine was undercooked such that I didn't feel comfortable eating the claws and only half the tail.

When we got our bill the wine we had sent back was still on it, this lead to another 20 minutes of arguing about said wine. All in all decent food but with terrible service.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a restaurant my new husband knows well from his long years in Monaco, but for various reasons we have never visited together, probably as I have an allergy to beef (it brings on symptoms of arthritis). That said, the name is a play on words in that "Bar" is the French word for "sea bass", so we headed on down for Sunday lunch. I phoned to book late, and was told we HAD to be there and ordered by 14.15 - no lingering lunch then. I also said I am temporarily in a wheelchair (got bitten by a dog who ate a bit of my Achilles Tendon - long story) and did they have access? No worries...

There was a worry as the steps to the resto are not easy for a chair - I got out and hopped and both my husband and an attentive waiter came to help, which was very nice! Once in, we were put onto the first table, probably as it was easier, but I did feel rather "parked". It was obvious they all wanted to go home, despite quite a lot of the tables being occupied. We weren't the last either - a couple came in at about 14.30 and were served, which peeved slightly. No pre-lunch drinks order taken (confirming the "no lingering" scenario") and I ordered a Assiette Proteinee - carpaccio or tartare of fish and then roast fish of the day with market vegetables, and a glass of wine thrown in. Husband had the Argentinian Beef Fillet, medium. I was told the fish of the day was the ubiquitous bass, and the tartare/carpaccio salmon.

Gosh the beef is to die for. I quite agree with Leroni. OK - 44 euros is a lot to pay for a steak and some potato puree (for that is all there was - no veg, salad, garnish) but it was perfectly cooked, fabulously seasoned and properly rested. I risked aching fingers to try a piece and have no regrets! In fact I had a second piece.

Sadly, my food was second rate. It all comes at once. You don't get the starter bit first, which I hadn't really appreciated. Luckily it was indedible. The sea bass flesh was delicious but it was pan fried, not roasted, and the skin was soggily limp rather than deliciously crispy. The Market Vegetables were beetroot and some concasse of tomato, nice at first but very boring by the fourth mouthfull. No sauce, I ended up eating it with mustard! The Carpaccio/Tartare was a Ceviche of prawns. Or that's what he claimed. Precooked prawns chopped on a bed of lettuce, with some strips of pepper and so much citrus juice my mouth puckered does not a Ceviche make.

The service was poor, although individually they are very nice chaps... they just wanted to go home. It made me wonder why they bother opening on Sunday Lunchtime if they aren't interested in service. To top it off, the kitchen was cleaning down with the door open. Do we need to hear these noises? The only dessert they had on offer was Tarte Tropezienne which was dry and rather sad.

So.. if you are really missing a decent steak, and have ready cash, this is the place to come. The decor is great, the view lovely, and house wines very well chosen. But if you aren't, there are a lot better places to eat in the Principality.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great beef and nice, New York style athmosphere. Not cheap but worth the money. The Kobe beef is exceptional.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We were recommended to go here by people who knew Monaco well and we werent disappointed. The view over the water is great and the service, from beginning to end, was attentive and relaxed. We chose the chateaubriand (£60E per person) and the potato puree which was outstanding. The wine was recommended by the waiter (70E) and was superb. Yes, the prices are high by English standards but this is Monaco. Everywhere we went was expensive and the food and service was not of this standard. At the end of the meal, we asked for a cab to be ordered and the restaurant provided its own car, foc, to take us wherever we wanted to go. Fantastic.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This will do it. The Giraudi's know meat. ONly the best will do. However, too many clients from the east, so it gets a little carried away with prices and pleasing those with big wallets and huge Bentleys. But you want be disappointed by the meat.