“A little Gem in the snow”

Hotel Piolets Soldeu Centre
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Soldeu
Coachford, Cork, Ireland
“A little Gem in the snow”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Hotel was easy to book into even though there was a long queue in reception when we arrived we were in our room within 15 mins .The room was bright and very well maintained.We had a balcony that looked out on to the pretty wooden main street but slope view are available if you would prefer.The staff were helpful but not too overly friendly like in other ski hotels.The food was lovely and there were lots of choices for breakfast and dinner each day.We had an hour of spa and pool access free each day which was very nice.It is literally a 5 mins walk to the gondola to the slopes which is great when walking in ski boots.Apres ski is fun on the Hotel Bar`s balcony which faces the slopes. This is very busy between 5pm and 7pm.

Room Tip: Would like to book a slope side room next time.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Antoinette R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Roydon Hamlet
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one week in Feb 2012, it was one of the best skiing located hotels I have stayed in, for all round rooms / food / and position. Rooms are a good size, clean and comfortable. Food is what you would expect from a 4 star spanish hotel, except the breakfast bacon is very good, so theres a bonus!
I was with my wife, and a few freinds for a week here. Our whole week there was great, the staff were in the background untill you needed something, just ask for something, bang they where strait on it! we had no complains except the electronic card key did not work to open our door on the second day, and that is my only complaint, not even worth a mention, but I did to balance my good report! All jokes on the side There is a very short stroll (60/60 yards) to the entrance to the gondola, which wisks you to the main ski area in 5 mins, there is 5/6 bars near to the hotel which do very good apri deals after skiing ( 2 for 1 drinks) Happy days! all in all great location for this fine hotel, which is in my good book of "The best I have stayed in".

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tony J
essex uk
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was my first skiing trip and I had the most amazing time!
I was quite sceptical at first as I assocated skiing with broken bones and general injury! The thought of going down a mountain with only 2 skis and a set of poles frightened the life out of me. I was convinced that I would have a rubbish time and that I would hate the whole experience in general. I coudnt have been more wrong!
When we first arrived, the coach company that we booked with dropped us off at the wrong place and so being in a totally new place, we had no clue where we were going. We called the hotel to ask for directions and less than 10 minutes later we were picked up by one of the hotel staff in one of their people carriers and taken to the hotel- with no charge. He carried our bags up to reception and helped us check in, I was put at ease straight away. The reception staff were lovely and very helpful. On arrival to the room, we were surprised as to how basic it was, but very very clean which is of course important.
There is a gym, swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and spa which was lovely- a great place to retreat to after a day out on the slopes. These too were all spotlessly clean with helpful staff.
The only thing that was disappointing on for this hotel was the food. The breakfast was fine, lovely with alot of selection. It was the dinner service that was the shock! I dont even know what most of it was and alot of it was swimming in fat. It was all under heated lamps but despite this, was almost always cold! The saving grace for us was the salad bar, which was very nice with alot of selection.
The best thing about this hotel was of course, the location. Next door- but one to the gondola up to the ski resort which gets quite busy of a morning. It was nice to be able to have breakfast and head straight out without having to walk far- especially in ski boots!
In all, this hotel was great and I would definately recommend. I would certainly book again.

Room Tip: Book a room which faces the mountain for the views.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chloe T
Dublin
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We have now been to this hotel 3 times. I have to admit that my other half, friends and I thought that it was ok on our first two trips - enough to travel back as Soldeu is fantastic, but nothing to right home about. On our third and most recent trip we noticed a considerable improvement! The Hotel Piolets is actually now a very good ski hotel.

PLEASE IGNOR ALL PAST REVIEWS BEFORE 2011! - ITS MUCH IMPROVED.

Location: Unbelieable! 2 minutes from the main gondola station at the Sport. 2 mins walk from the best apre ski pub - the Harp!

Food: Much better now than previous trip in 2010 - good standard 4* buffet food. Dont get too excited - but more than what you need and much tastier.

Noise: We never experienced any problem - We travelled with a tour operator package and all their rooms were away from the bar. I don't recall seeing any rooms close enough to the bar.

Soldeu: One of the best ski areas around - and we've done France, Austria and Colorado! Fast lifts, lttle/no queing, large ski area - more than enough for a whole week. Make sure you do the black run into Canillo. Nightlife to dye for.

We had an amazing time - Its a more upmarket lively without tackiness!

The moral of the story is that if your with a group or want to meet friends

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brum4642
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I’ve been to Andorra several times and Soldeu is my favourite of the resorts – I’ve stayed at a different hotel each time, but Piolets is the nicest hotel so far. The location is perfect, as the hotel is only a few yards from the entrance to the main gondola, though I found it better to walk out of the car park exit (the lockers are in the underground car park) and stroll over the bridge to the chair lift, as it goes to the same place, but there weren’t the queues that there were for the gondola in the morning.
When we checked in, we were allocated the wrong room, as there were another couple staying with the same surname, but different initials. However the reception staff didn’t have good enough English to understand the issue, and there was a queue, so they insisted that we took the room they’d given us, meaning that we were given the wrong departure details by Crystal at the end of the holiday, luckily we’d met the other couple by this time and realised the mistake beforehand so we didn’t miss our transfer. Reception also failed to give us a key to the ski-locker when we checked in and, when we asked for one the next morning, they insisted that it was given on check-in, but soon realised that the check-in staff hadn’t done this when several other guests were waiting at the desk asking for keys too.
Part way through the holiday the reception let an extremely drunk person into our friends room at 3 in the morning, which scared the life out of her - the night staff did apologise, but their only excuse was that the drunk person had said it was their room and their key wasn't working.
The room itself was nice enough and a reasonably good size, particularly when compared to other hotels I've stayed at in Andorra, and thankfully did have a bath. We were given a twin room, and the beds slid around too much if you pushed them together, meaning one of us ended up falling down the gap if we tried to push them together. We we also found our room extremely hot – we turned the radiators off the first evening and still needed to open the door to the balcony, which was a little annoying as we were opposite Aspen bar which was open ‘till the small hours, so weren't feeling fresh for the slopes in the morning. Eventually we worked out that if we opened the door wide when we got in from snowboarding, it would be nice and cool when we came to go to bed later and we could shut the door before going to sleep. They must spend a fortune heating the place if they always keep it that hot.
The food was all buffets, with waiter service for drinks – the food was actually pretty good and there was plenty of variation, even for myself as a veggie. The only small issue I had with the restaurant was that they didn’t provide water for the evening meal - you had to buy bottled water, and at breakfast there were just two extremely slow coffee machines that always had big queues.
A couple of other downsides:
Although the hotel does have a Spa (pool, hot tub & sauna), this was €9 a go extra to use, which was disappointing, as the hotel itself isn’t cheap (you could also pay for massages & spa treatments at the more expensive sister hotel, Piolets Park & Spa, up the road if you wanted)! There was free Wifi, but there was a limit on the number of users, which meant that most of the time you could 'see' it, but couldn't get on to it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the mountain, as the street facing rooms are opposite the bars.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Top_Starfish
North East Wales. UK
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Soldeu is a great ski (and in my case snow shoe) location. This hotel is very close to the gondola and the terrace looks out onto two blue and a black run. Staff attitudes were brilliant. Inclusive food excellent although they could use more coffee machines in the morning. Chemist next door. Drinks are expensive but its a hotel... It was rated four star and deserved it. Didnt use the included spa did use the included ski locker in the hotel garage. recommended. Would go back.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Clwydian
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Our checkin was disasterous, the checkin receptionist was very unhelpful in dealing with our requests and our procedure kept on getting interupted by phonecalls which was extremely frustrating. We requested a room facing the back of the hotel and were told we would have to wait until the manager returned the following morning. We were also told that our skipasses were not waiting for us in an envelope, as stipulated in the reservation and that we would have to go, ourselves to the ticket desk at the slopes the following morining (something we had wanted to avoid, by booking this all inclusive package). Finally, later that evening we received a call in our room that the skipasses had finally arrived wich was the first bit of good news all evening!
We had a restless night with the noise from the disco or karaoki or whatever across the road, and the heating was not working so we were freezing. The next day we woke up unrested, tired and in a bad mood. Finally the person at reception, a differnet and much friendlier person, informed us that we could change to a room at the back, and they provided us with extra blankets and assured us the heating was working. We went down to the spa after an afternoon on the slopes and found out that the spa WAS infact included, which was a pleasant surprise. The buffet breakfast and dinner were better the second time around and the hotel managed to redeem themselves by providing us with a far better image and experience than we initially thought.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple