“Great Location, Clean and would go back.”

Hotel Soldeu Maistre
Ranked #1 of 4 Soldeu B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I took my girlfriend here skiing, and as per previous reviews went for a twin room front facing (202 to be exact) the room was spacious and had everything we needed. The hotel was cleaned from top to bottom every day, with the beds being made to military precision. The beds where comfy, however noise insulation was not great. The noise level from other guests and outside doesn't prove to be a problem until leaving day when at 4am on Sunday everyone was lugging suitcases across the tiled floors.

Breakfast and evening meal was plentiful, usually consisting of a selection of hot and cold dishes. Lots of good meat and seafood selections along with salads and cooked breakfast. Vegetables except potatoes seem to be a rarity but this was seen throughout the resort. Staff in the restaurant were excellent.

location wise, it is bang central, only a 5 min walk to the gondola and within 10 seconds of a supermarket, ski hire shop (Pic Negre) and Andorra travel service.

Good Bars within 2 minutes walk include Fat Alberts, Aspen and the Harp.

Speaking to others in our resort it seemed their hotels ( Piolets Spa hotel and Himalaya) although much bigger and higher star rating did not offer the same level as service due to the number of guests.

Would Defiantly recommend this Hotel and would certainly go back.

1  Thank Cjibbo

Reviewed February 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Maistre for a weeks ski holiday. Its the 3rd time we have stayed at the Maistre (each year returning due to our liking of the hotel). Unfortunately, we were disappointed on our return this year.

We did get a late deal and so most probably a reduced price to that some others has paid. This meant that we were given a double room at the rear of the hotel rather than a twin room at the front. In previous years we have always stayed on the front of the hotel and have been happy. This year we did not. The double rooms are very small and so you cannot take much with you, The other reviews on here are also correct, the walls are paper thin. We has a guy sleeping in the next room to us whose snooring was horrendous. I didn't get one decent nights sleep. Plus on the last morning I woke up with red itchy blotches all over my body which I now understand to be insect bites. I have no idea whether or not these came from the hotel. I think it unlikely as its so clean but then again they only came out after a night in the room.

I have just read another review on here which says the hotel doesn't have a boot room. That's wrong. The ski lockers and boot room are in the basement/garage. They cost 24 euros for a week plus a 6 euro deposit for the key. We hired a locker rather than pay the 50 euoro fee for the lockers at the main gondola. The walk up the hill in a morning only takes 5 minutes anyway.

The food in the hotel was as it usually is, ok. We ate out 2 out of the 7 nights purely because we couldn't face it. The food is always cooked to a high standard but its just bit mix and match. For instance one night there was boiled fish, rice, mashed potato, a selection of veg in batter and meatballs.

Generally I have to say the hotel is ok and believe me I have stayed in much worse. If you are on a cheaper deal I would suggest ear plugs are packed!

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Great hotel in central location, food excellent hotel very clean. Double rooms a little small but could not really complain as good value for money. Stayed at bigger hotels but felt this one was more cosy and had more of an atmosphere with people drinking in the bar after a hard day skiing. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed February 5, 2011

very clean rooms, good location - 5 mins walk to main gondola. food basic but tasty, plenty of choice. staff friendly and helpful. will book again at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week (23rd-30th Jan 2011) during a Ski Holiday in Soldeu. We were part of a group of approx 30, but due to a later booking were not able to stay in the same hotel as the rest of the group (who stayed in the Himalaia) and ended up at the Maistre. Having read reviews on here before we went, I wasn't looking forward to it and was expecting to spend all our time eating snacks we would buy ourselves and hanging out at the rest of the group's hotel, but i was pleasently surprised!

We arrived and were checked in straight away. Lift up to our room (on the 2nd floor) was quick and never busy. We had a double room which was very small, as expected, but we were organised and it wasn't a problem at all. The bathroom in comparison was big with a bath/shower, toilet, big sink plus other extras. The shower pressure was excellent - better than we have at home! And the hair dryer was also great - no need to bring your own! The room was very clean and was cleaned/beds made every day of our stay. The hotel in general was also very clean.

The food was also better than expected. Not the hugest of selection, but we thought the quality made up for this. A variety of meats every night, most of which included fish. Salads also every night, as well as a variety of puddings, including ice cream every night. Downsides to the dinner in the evening was that the restaurant didn't open until 8 which we felt was too late to be eating as by the time you've finished its boardering 9pm by which point you are tired and not up for going out! I also thought there was a lack of vegetables and it was difficult to make an actual meal out of the selection of food - it could be seen as just a random pile up of foods. However, it was most definately bearable for the week!! The breakfasts were also good with a selection of hams/cheeses, cerials, hot food, quassants as well as fruit juices and teas/coffees/hot chocolates. All meals were presented as a buffet with a couple of waiters/waitresses serving drinks and taking away plates once used.

Staff were friendly and we had no problems with any of them. The seating area downstairs was also welcoming, however I think a possible upgrade of some of the furniture would be beneficial.

The hotel's location with regards to the gondola wasn't a problem in terms of distance however you wouldn't want to do it in ski boots with your skis and poles every day as it is up a constant hill. You cannot keep skis/poles in the hotel, nor do they have a boot room. We chose to pay the 50 Euros to keep our boots/skis/poles in the boot rooms at the gondola station which i would recommend. Having done this, it made our walk to the gondola station from the hotel a lot easier in snow boots!!

Overall, I am pleased with our stay at the Maistre. It was a lot better than expected and if on a budget, I would definately stay again. However, next time I'd like to stay at a hotel with a bit more to offer e.g. bigger seating area downstairs and pool/spa area.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShellFields
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We stayed here in January 2011, I've stayed here before but this time it was because it was the cheapest option !. The hotel is very clean, however the dinner and smokey atmosphere is awful. We ate out every night in the Bruxelles as we could not face the food in the hotel. The smoking is quite bad too. I had to lay a damp towel under the door every night but it still came through. If you cannot stand the smell of smoke then this hotel is not for you. Unfortunately, we had a room near the dogs and they were a pain. I really do think the owner of the hotel should say something to his neighbour !. You have to pay for the safe as well now which you never used to. The TV channels are rubbish in the rooms, the only English channel was Eurosport, and yet downstairs the TV had CCN and BBC World.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Not sure what people expect who have rated this place down but it doesn't claim to be the best hotel around and isn't priced as such. However we've stayed at Piolets park and Spa in Soldeu and Prinsesca Parc in Arinsal and would chose to spend £200 less to stay at Soldeu maistre any day.
It was great for what we needed. To say the rooms weren't big enough to swing a cat is an exaggeration and in any case I don't travel with the cat. The rooms were small but comfy and very clean, in fact the hotel in general was spotlessly clean.
It's in an ideal location and the food was fine - one of the party of 4 is vegetarian but eats fish and was happier with the food here than last year at the more expensive Piolets Park.
Yes there were barking dogs nearby as some have said and the rooms were very hot but by simply turning the radiator off allowing the window to be closed ensured that if the dogs barked they couldn't be heard.
Its a small and friendly hotel which for some including us is far nicer than most of the 4 star places that seem to be larger and more impersonal. If you want entertainment you can go a short stroll to the various bars etc and we liked the fact that the hotel had a quiet relaxing atmosphere in the evening after a hard day skiing,
In my opinion don't be put off by negative comments - Yes the rooms aren't as big, the food choice isn't as big, there is no entertainment, spa or pool all of which you may well get in other hotels but thats why they are 4 star and priced as such.
If you dont need any of that but still insist on cleanliness, comfort and friendliness then this place is a good choice..

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends