“Basic but OK”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Arinsal
Northern Ireland
“Basic but OK”
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We booked this holiday in March 2008 and after reading some of the rviews I was slightly apprehensive about staying at this hotel. The hotel is basic but relatively clean. But do ask for your towels to be changed or they will just refold the ones you have been using all week! The food is OK and most nights I could find something to eat. I stayed here with my husband and our friends and the resort is excellent for beginners such as myself. The deal we got was fantastic as it include liftpasses, ski school and ski hire. and so cannot complain to much about the hotel. The hotel is right beside the chair lift which is worth the money alone -and never really got busy, so no long queues! Would I stay here again? Probably not, but I would go back to Arinsal -and stay in Princesa Parc - my husband and I had a look round this hotel and it looks fantatsic. If you want a good cheap deal I would recommend this place -but don't expect the Ritz!

• Liked — Chairlift beside the hotel
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Suffolk
Reviewed July 22, 2008

I stayed at Aparthotel Crest mid-Jan 2008, so this review is pretty late. I have to say I'm a bit taken aback by some of the reviews I'm reading here...

We went as a group of three 20-somethings, only I had skied before. We were on a very modest budget so didn't expect a lot and was pretty worried about the food from reviews I'd read here.

In my opinion, the food is the only thing that has prevented me giving this 5/5. However, the food is PERFECTLY edible and there was always a decent variety. Breakfast did get boring after a week (continental only) but we survived! After a knackering day on the slopes all we wanted was a bit of grub, not some fancy three course affair. Anyone who booked here expecting gourmet food needs their head checked... you don't book a Travel Lodge and expect the Ritz. In fact you probably can't book a Travel Lodge for what this cost!

The hotel was very clean throughout. I found all the bar and reception staff polite enough and certainly can't complain about them. Whoever said the bar/reception was drab, refer to the Travel Lodge/Ritz comment above... IT WAS FINE!!! The only thing that annoyed me about the bar was that it was full of sugar fuelled kids running riot without any attempt at control from the parents - not the hotel's fault, but a risk you take at budget places.

Everyone mentions it, the chair lift! Absolutely superb having that so close and it more than makes up for the walk into town, which isn't really that bad unless you're lugging a few litres of bottled water back up. But that's eased by a stop at Mile End for happy hour (about half way down the hill).

As for the skiing in Arinsal, well it suited us as beginner/intermediate but anyone better would easily get bored. The snow was pretty crap but there was enough to get by. Admittedly we didn't explore any further into the other ski areas which I'm sure would make up for the limited number of runs in Arinsal itself.

To sum up, this is a BUDGET, yes that's right, budget hotel! You won't get a little man in a red suit opening the door and carrying luggage for you or rose petals scattered on your bed, but you will get good, clean, good sized accommodation, a decent pint of San Miguel and food that's perfectly edible and more than adequate at keeping you fuelled for the skiing.

We loved it and, wife/bank balance allowing, will be going back next year to explore it a bit more!

• Liked — Spotlessly clean, next to the chairlift, San Miguel!
  • Disliked — Hike in to town a minor inconvenience
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ryanh1418
Nuneaton
Reviewed March 27, 2008

What more can we say about this small tidy hotel, although situated a brisk 10min walk from the resort centre it makes up for by it's location for the two man chair lift to the slopes. Although only able to get down the centre once in the evening the the place to go to is the Surf which is situated by the gondola for the steaks and burgers. For the kids there is a games room which is in view of the reception area and the bar. The bar catered for all with cold and hot drinks, if you like your spirits you will enjoy as there are no measures, the price for a 1/2 litre of beer was 3 euros. The food was basic but filling and children were catered for during our stay. Even down to on the saturday a warm breakfast of bacon sausage and eggs.

Unfortunatly our stay was ruined by a very arrogant, useless Panorama / Airtours Rep and what a waste of space he was. We have never met such a bone idle, lazy man in all our life. I had a accident on our first day and what we encountered from him was a total lack of help and a rudeness you would not expect. This man should never ever rep again so bad was his service, my ten year old daughter could of done better. If it was not for the hotel staff I really do not know what I would have done, so thank you to all the Crest Staff.

• Liked — The Hotel Staff
  • Disliked — The tour rep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank OwlsS6
Co. Down
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I thought I was at the Crest on the 2nd March but reading other reviews I am thinking I must be mistaken! I was obviously staying somewhere else as my experience was a very positive one. I may have been biased somewhat by only paying £120 and not really expecting a great deal but having paid £650 to go to Bad Gastein 2 weeks previously I would choose Arinsal/Crest everytime.
Location wise it is excellent as it is just yards from a 2 man chairlift and apart from first thing in the morning, queue free. It is situated at the very top of the town on a hill but you can walk down to the shops and back up in under 20mins.
As for the food, I was pleasantly surprised at the choice and standard of the buffet provided. There was a different soup to start with every night, extensive cold pasta and salad options and at least four different hot main courses. Admittedly, it may have been "bitty", as one rewiewer said, and that the main couses did not match, but everything was very tasty and I actually liked the mix n' match element for a change.
Staff wise, I had no problems. They were by no means over friendly but the few times I needed help or information it was provided in excellent English and solved the issue. I wouldn't have liked to rely on the Panorama staff for much however, so I didn't!
To sum up, if you want to ski, have generous amounts of tasty food and sleep in a clean and comfortable room (without a kettle, unfortunately) book now.

• Liked — Food and Location
  • Disliked — Only British/Irish people in the hotel
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed March 18, 2008

You get what you pay for and with some change out of five hundred quid for a family of four to stay in The Crest for a week, my expectations were certainly not sky high - just as well as it turned out.

On the upside, the room was a decent size, clean and warm with quite a big balcony. There was also a chairlift right outside to take us skiing and let me see, what else was good about The Crest? Er, well, did I mention there's a chairlift right outside to take you to all the skiing?!

Truth is, the chairlift right outside The Crest is the best thing about this gnarley little hotel that has well and truely lost any mojo it may once have had.

The bar is drab, the lobby is drabber and if you're in the market for some tasty hot food then probably best to stay some place else - their restaurant is fowl, straight off a really bad episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

I also found the staff to be about as helpful as a gritter on a red run - they all seemed a bit "put out" and bored with us paying customers disturbing them in their hotel when all they wanted was a bit of peace and quiet. Paying what I'd paid to be there, I should have guessed that a basic weather forecast for the next day would be way too much information to expect from the dope on reception.

But taking poor customer service to a new low were the PANORAMA reps - muppets, a complete shambles, and downright rude at times. If you can travel with any other agency, do so, these three were the pits.

Like I said at the beginning, you get what you pay for, but this place is cheap and also a little bit nasty.

Stayed March 2008

Travelers are raving about these Arinsal hotels

Bristol
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We have just returned (9-16 Mar 08) from the Aparthotel Crest. It is situated next to the chairlift, which is very useful. The other lift is the Gondola in the town centre. The hotel is at the top of the town, the town consists of one road going up a hill, the crest is at the top, approx 500m from the centre?? The area has a few bars, a couple of restaurants, a couple of small supermarkets and a few sports shops.

The rooms in the crest are pretty well decorated, very comfortable beds and plenty of storage. The drawbacks we found were, no kettle or tea making facilities in the room, you could buy drinks from the bar. Drinks at breakfast were free but evening meal there was no tea or coffee available, wine and soft drinks were available to buy. The roaring log fire was nowhere to be seen despite the selling point in the brochure. The food was ok but very bity, you couldn't put two things together to make a meal, ie, chicken nuggets and pizza?

The Spanish staff were very friendly, and as the week got onI warmed to the place, I think its a place I would go to every few years because the conditions were good. don't be fooled into thinking Andorra is tax free. If you want something price it up before you go and then compare prices, in UK I found 8GB Ipod Nano for £111, in Andorra average price 159.99 euros (exchange 1.20 euros to £) If you are into pub culture and are happy to take kids to smokey pubs you will love Arinsal.

• Liked — Good standard of accomodation
  • Disliked — No way of being able to make a hot drink, steep hill to town centre
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
N.Ireland
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Having read some pretty poor reviews about this hotel before we went i was naturally apprehensive about our forthcoming stay there. However on arrival my fears were put to rest by the clean and tidy appearance of the place and the friendliness of the bar and reception staff. Unfortunately though the games room promised to the children contained a pool table, an air hockey table and a football table, all of which were out of order, which was unsurprising given their apparent age. That left only 2 remaining computer games for the children to avail of and both required1 euro per go, so you can imagine how costly this could prove to be. For the 1st day or 2 the food was eatable, but theres only so much lukewarm processed food that you can eat and after day two we ate out in the town, despite having pre paid for half board. All of this however can be tolerated you do get what you pay for afterall, however the rudeness and aggressive attitude of the restaurant staff, and having articles stolen from our room is not what we bargained for whatsoever. Having complained about our property being stolen, we were further dismayed by the lack of concern and blaze attitude that came from our rep from panorama, nothing was done about it and the items were not replaced. By the way anyone with kids the chair lift is convenient to the slopes, but the snowball club (kids club) is 5 euro for 2 hours and I couldn't help but get the impression that the reps in charge of it would rather be somewhere else. I would certainly not recommend this hotel not even to my worst enemy.

Stayed February 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arinsal
Hotel Spa Princesa Parc
#4 of 12 in Arinsal
St Gothard Hotel
St Gothard Hotel
#3 of 4 in Erts

Been to Hotel Crest? Share your experiences!