“Teriffic Value - Excellent Staff”
Review of Hostel Micolau

Hostel Micolau
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Arinsal
Reviewed February 8, 2012

This hotel is a small gem. The staff go out of their way to make your stay special, and are full of information. Yes the rooms are small, but it's not as if you don't know that when you book. They are tastefully decorated and the bathrooms are brand new. The hotel is, like most buildings in Arinsal, right up against the street. So there is likely to be some street noise. My second floor street facing room had some noise, but it wasn't intrusive. While it's true that one of the most popular bars is two doors down, I didn't hear any noise either night I was there. I did hear people leaving the bar at 3 am, but that's no different than any other hotel in a similar location. All the "negative" reviews need to be weighed against the amazing price you pay, the awesome location, and the warm, friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DavidDC
There are newer reviews for Hostel Micolau

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as all the reviews were positive but I was disappointed with my stay. The room was clean but incredibly small which I can put up with for a week but I found it a very noisy hotel.

The only quiet time is early afternoon when everyone is on the slopes but I missed out on a day on the slopes as I tried to catch up on much needed sleep. This was not a holiday I was planning to waste by sleeping in the day as I ob went to enjoy the slopes.

Not much else to say apart from the noise. I wont be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Del2012
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have just arrived back from a night stay at Micolau and will definitely be returning. The staff are exceptionally welcoming and friendly, always ready with tips and advice to make your trip easy and more comfortable.

We stayed in room 4 which is on the second floor and overlooks the street. It has a small balcony area just big enough to fit 2 people on and great if you're a smoker. The room was small but for us it was fine, we left our ski boots in the lockers provided and kept our suitcases under the bed to give us more space. We were only in the rooms to shower, sleep or change so were not bothered about the size. Our bathroom had a bath tub which we definitely appreciated after a long day on the slopes. The only downside to the room was that it's so close to the street and when the Irish bar closes at 3am it got pretty rowdy outside and usually woke us both up. But the noise soon passes and the rest of the night would be quiet. Ear plugs recommended.

The food in the hotel is varied and very good, at night they provide a menu for a good price (around 12€) but you can also order from the regular menu where there's burgers, salads, omelettes for under 10€. There are other restaurants nearby and one night we had a delicious pizza at a place 30 seconds up the road, would definitely recommend that.

The location of the hotel is exceptional, a minute from the gondola and with a good ski hire shop directly opposite. We hired our skis through skimium.co.uk, got really good discounts and were able to pick up our skis opposite the hotel - It couldn't have been easier. The hotel also has a deal with the ski hire shop so you can store your skis in their locker room each night.

We paid for indoor parking (8€ a day) while we were there but if you're going when the weather is good you wouldn't have a problem parking your car in the bays just by the hotel free of charge.

All in all we had a fantastic trip and can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emma H
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Looking at the other reviews it seems we may have been unlucky but please read on as to what happended to me and my girlfriend... We booked through an agency called 'arinsal.co.uk' I would recommend against this as it saves you no money and they added no value to the selection of the accomodation. We were given room 1 on the 1st floor which is right next to the front door, below the second floor and above the bar/breakfast area.
All the rooms on the first floor will suffer from the following:
excessive kitchen noise between the hours of 7am and 9:30am,
excessive thumping and vibrational shaking from the floors above, all hours, even the middle of the night, it sounded like the plaster was going to fall off the ceiling sometimes. Wax ear plugs were sometimes not enough to drown out the noise and we would sleep lightly with our ipods in.
Our safe had not been unlocked by the previous occupant, I asked nicely twice to get it opened and after no avail i gave up.
On the second night, another guest checking in late woke us up at 11:30pm trying to get into our room. He had been wrongly directed by reception, or perhaps because I'd asked twice for the safe code they thought it might be funny, i think im being paranoid though and it was more likley incompetance on behalf of the receptionist.
Due to the noise, on day 3 we asked to move rooms and they said they 'would look into it'. They couldnt offer us anything and didnt get back to us with any other solution. I didnt chase it up for fear of having my breakfast tampered with, or something similar? perhaps i'm being paranoid again.

The rooms are finished to a good standard but are very small, you have to shuffle around the sides to get into bed, or climb over suitcases like we did because the cupboard is so small. The bathroom was lovely. I think the rooms are designed for a single bed but theyve pushed 2 singles together.
It's also right next to the pavement, if you're after an early start and drop off to sleep at say 11pm, unless you're an ultra heavy sleeper you will be awoken by shouting, swearing and general alcohol associated shouting betweem 12 and 2am. Try and sleep in in the morning to make up your lost sleep and the extreme noises from the kitchen and people running around in ski boots will drive you insane. There must be less than half an inch of plaster seperating the above and below floors. Take you ipod as a minimum.

We got ripped off by arinsal.co.uk and the hotel, and I don't want you to. We explained all of this to the manager of the hotel and he would not take our points on board.

Like it or lump it...
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Avoiding the first floor is a must if you like to sleep between the hours of 7-9:30am or 10pm-12am...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Snowboard1773
caiokondo, Manager at Hostel Micolau, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

By reading your comments about our property I do not agree at all on what you are saying. Unluckily, I think you were not in the right mood after a long journey by car from the UK. As you said once you arrived - and it has made you more sensitive.
We do not understand all your complaints in the last day - I received an email from you sent by the travel agency you booked, and I was really surprised as them. During the week, their representative came by at least 4 times and they always asked you how everything was going. They were told about the noisy, but never anything impressive was mentioned by you - and that's why we and they were really surprised about your unhapiness email sent.
Anyway, in part, I can understand your complaints about the noisy; about the rooms we know it is not big - although it fits everything we need to spend a week skiing - we have available ski lockers just across the road for you to keep your ski gear, which you never used. Also we have boot lockers available just next to the main stairs. The safe, in the following day you asked us, one of our staff came to help and you told her "don't bother" as you were not use it anymore. The noisy downstairs - breakfast time - it is relative. First of all, breakfast starts at 8am. The kitchen staff start at 7:30am, so it is impossible to hear noisy from the kitchen at 7am. Then, if we are really busy as we were in that week, coffee machine can make some noisy - for a minute - people talking we can not tell them to stop talking.... In all the ways, we are a very small hotel which our main guests are looking for good food, a nice and confortable bedroom, and a great day on the slopes. If we have not been able to offer that, we are so sorry you have not had the holidays you expect. But we do hope we can do it next time.

Regards

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Incredibly friendly staff couldn't do more. Rooms although a little small were clean and comfortable. Hotel very central only a short walk from gondola. Try the cocktails they were delicious.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank panama10
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We've stayed at a number of hotels in Arinsal and this was by far the best so far. It's a small hotel right in the centre of Arinsal with only a minute walk to the gondola. The room was small but very clean and sure you only need a comfortable bed on a skiing holiday. The hotel served very reasonable food which was fantastic. Food in Arinsal is generally not that good but Hotel Micolau did a fantastic job in serving us the best breakfast we've ever had there and also a great cheap evening meal. As we checking out very early in the morning they had left out two packed breakfast/lunches for our journey home!! Thanks very much to all the staff there and I would highly recommend staying there to anyone!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tantan1982
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Top hotel, Very chilled out and quiet. Food excellent. Close to gondola's.
Staff are extremley helpful and polite.
Bar next door to hotel is also quite cool.
Would deffinately recomend.
Rooms very small but nice. Window ledge awsome for having a fag out of the window as rooms are none smoking.

Room Tip: Don't go when Big Snow Fest is on!!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arinsal
Hotel Spa Princesa Parc
#4 of 12 in Arinsal
Hotel Palome
Hotel Palome
#1 of 4 in Erts

Been to Hostel Micolau? Share your experiences!