“Like a castle” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mercure

Hotel Mercure
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Andorra la Vella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
Europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

By way fo a review, I attach the letter of complaint that I wrote to them. They did charge us twice although this was quicly remiedied but after three requests, they responded and offered me the name of someone to call should we dicide to stay there again. would point out that I have tried to comlian to Accor but have received no repley and, looking at their website forum, this is a common complaint.:

"My wife and I had the misfortune to stay at your hotel on the above dates and, as the lady at reception seemed unable to do anything, I am writing as I promised her I would, to register my complaints in as brief a form as possible. Please ask if you wish me to elaborate further.

Reception and check in were most helpful and easily the most pleasant part of the stay offering prices for Mercure or Novotel. I took the former as we had had a long drive and wished my wife to enjoy a “Mercure” rather than a “Novotel” experience…wrong!!.
Car Park – not allowed to use easiest spot but directed to another that took a 5 point turn to access. Needless to say, the original and convenient one remained empty through out the night.
Room – smallest “Mercure” room we have ever been in but must admit that it was newly decorated to a good standard.
Only the two pillows and none further provided in wardrobe. These turned out to be a disaster and needed to be folded to get any feeling of their being a pillow. And to think I had suggested that my wife could leave her own pillow in the car as “this” was a “Mercure hotel”. Reception told me that the type and quantity were acceptable to an Accor Inspector who visited the previous Friday. Please can I have his job in my retirement years?!!
Room was overheated and despite the air conditioner being on when we went for dinner, did not cool down.
Bar – no barman and asked reception who called for one. He said that normally he did not do the bar but worked in the restaurant. He was lovely but useless. I asked for a Tanqueray and tonic and had to point out the bottle of Tanqueray. He did not put ice in until I pointed this out and also failed with the thin slice of lemon that I helped myself to separately. He then left the drink and I had to ask for a tonic to go with it. When this was poured, it turned out that he had used soda water….and this for 5 euro in a duty free Country!! Incidentally, he provided nuts but not potato chips which were only on sale not to be offered…not heard about nut allergies and the discrimination of not providing a choice?
When we went to the restaurant, we found to our utter dismay that it was an Italian themed buffet, with no a la carte alternative, in an over lit room in which more than one family of children were running around. Not the smart “Mercure” restaurant or food that we had expected or experience at Aix en Provence, La Rochelle, Bordeaux airport and other “Mercure” Hotels…..
There were no restaurants that reception could recommend in walking distance (my wife suffers with her ankle) so we went out ourselves and found an adequate one down the road.
After dinner, my wife wanted a bath and after 5 minutes running the water realised that there was only tepid water at best.
Went to bed and, due to the heat, left the window open over a quiet road….wrong, traffic such as bin collection road sweeping and screeching tyres all night.
After a weary and long night, we went to check out and they could not get my Amex card to work, although it worked 10 minutes later at a petrol station. (After a few goes they
managed to get my mastercard to work but charged it twice!!)

I am afraid that the experience was dreadful, and that this is not a “Mercure” standard hotel but the price is certainly to their level. If we had known what we were letting ourselves in for when we walked in off the street, at best we would have opted for the “Novotel” or the “Ibis” at best and, at worst, to another hotel all together. We would certainly not have stayed with you.

I would like to think that you will not only learn from this and act on it but also make some recompense on the euro it cost to arrive tired and hungry and to leave fed (but not by you) and even more tired.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ustaritz
Daventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

This hotel is in a great location in the heart of Andorra town. You can exit the hotel on the 5th floor straight into the heart of the shopping area. Parking is convenient at the Novotel next door, the car park being all of 20 metres from the Mercure's front door.
Check in wasnt the best experience I have had, the lady checking us in kept getting annoyed, it turned out it was her computer system that was going slow, but it made us feel like we were inconveniencing her by trying to check in. There was an issue using my loyalty card as well, but that is something I will have to take up with the hotel group directly.
The rooms were very spacious and clean. The Spa and pool facilities were excellent, I had a back massage and it was great. There is also a reasonably well stocked gym, though my friend that used it said there wasnt a great selection of weights.
Breakfast in the morning was fantastic. Great selection and very enjoyable food.
Like all modern city hotels they feel a little clinical but the location is great, the rooms clean and very comfortable and the food good.
I do like to stay in the Mercure chain as you are normally guaranteed a great breakfast and a clean, comfortable room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank irish_gremlin
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2008

This hotel is in a very central location in Andorra La Vella at one end of the main shopping street and very close to the park. There are lots of good restaurants and a few bars around as well. The hotel itself is a bit dated in terms of decor but it is very clean and comfortable. The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was fine. One downside is that there is only very limited parking, but there is a public car park just a five minute walk away.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — No parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ballynac
Cambridge, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2008

We selected the Mercure Hotel in Andorra for a two night stay in April after careful consideration. We are a family of four including a ten year old girl and a two year old boy so a place with entertainment for them was important. After looking at the Mercure website, we spotted the child’s indoor play area and indoor pool. It seems a hotel in Andorra with an indoor pool was fairly unusual so our minds were made up.

On arrival we found the hotel very central in Andorra La Vella and it had secure parking next door. I understand that space here is tight during the ski season and mid summer but in April, the place was pretty quiet.

We were given a large room with a double bed, single bed for our daughter and a travel cot for our son. On visiting the aforementioned play area on the sixth floor, it was an instant hit. There are loads of games consoles there (got the thumbs up from the ten year old) and ball pools and slides etc which my son loved. The swimming pool area was also great with a small shallow pool for the infants, two Jacuzzis and a large freeform pool. There was also a sauna and steam room there.

Food wise, the buffet breakfasts were excellent, but the evening menu looked a bit fancy and expensive with a set menu of about five courses.

All in all, the hotel was superb and as Andorra is so beautiful, we will return at some point and the Mercure will be top of our list.

• Liked — Children's play area
  • Disliked — The Restaurant in the evening.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Comberton
Zaragoza, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2006

I was very happy with this hotel. It is in a good location, about a two minute walk from the main shopping street and the rooms were large.

My only complain would be with the bathroom. It was by far, one of the smallest bathrooms I have ever seen and the shower did not work very well (it took FOREVER to drain).

There is a small spa/fitness area on the top floor of the hotel which was very nice and free! It was a nice extra for the 60 euros we paid a night.

The parking is a bit complicated and not very well organized. Basically, the parking for the Mercure is next door in the Novotel hotel. You have to first check in with the Mercure and then go to the Novotel Hotel to have them open the gate and then you can park...all in all a bit confusing.

• Liked — The size of the room & location
  • Disliked — The bathroom!!!!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple