“We like it....”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Polis
Newcastle upon Tyne
“We like it....”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Firstly put me down as one of Stavros's fan club...I see this as a compliment rather than a slur as some reviewers suggest.
I would agree some of the apartments are dated...but who watches much t.v. when on holiday..much too busy out and about and evenings with other guests (or not as is each and everyone's choice). Our apartment has always been clean and bedding, towels changed twice if not three times a week.
What I do object too is some reviewers who think it is okay to revile and attach labels to people they do not know and all with appalling grammar and spelling, I name no names but you know who you are.
Polis is still a charming Cypriot town, friendly people, eateries of all kinds and price ranges, and all good value we have found.
We love the bbq on a Friday, but if you dont want to join in, nobody is going to force you, and
good value for money with great puddings to follow yummy.
If your looking for a chilled out holiday in fantastic surroundings, then give us a try. If your looking for five star accommodation then pay the difference, but I guarantee you wont get a more enthusiastic welcome than the Bougainvillea wherever you go.
Oh and the reason that Thomson/First Choice is'nt going to the South West is because it has lost the Elia Latchi All Inclusive contract, not because of any fault in either the Bougainvillea or the Souli Hotel.
Thanks again to Stavros, Souli and Lily for another fantastic holiday.
Oh and the idea that we are chav's, had my husband and I bad laughing, a 68 yr old chav he is so pleased and proud to be considered so.
We will be making our own way back in 2013. with bells on.

5 Thank MaureenR67

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
london
Reviewed September 25, 2012

hello i hope my review helps fellow travelers decide on if they wish to stay in the bougainvillea.
my experance of the hotel apartments was one of disspointment.
we stayed in the bougainvillea in july this year when it was very hot,
the bougainvillea biggest let down is its dirty outdated rooms which quite frankly were dreadfull.
the paint was peeling of the walls dirty floors and bathroom bits of wire sticking out of the walls the list goes on.the cleaners done noting more then push dirt from one place to the other and we had problems whit ants comeing thought a gap in the front door.stavros was unhelpfull when we complained as was hes employees who give you the fake smile.i for one will not be staying in this place again due to its dirty rooms.thomson are pulling out of polis this year and also this hotel so i am sure all of you chaves who love it so much here will make your own way back whit out them lossers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank tam b
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am not one for posting reviews but after reading AuntieAnnie and 600Ricky, I have been moved to do so as I must have been very lucky to have survived all the potential hazards that they have described.
I travelled to the Bougainvillea Hotel Apartments in August and I can confirm that they do have waste bins where you can deposit your own rubbish if the cleaners do not empty the bins in the apartment (which in my case was two days in the 14 I was there). There are also two very large supermarkets where cleaning materials and insect killer can be bought if the apartment is so bad that it requires cleaning and fumigating.
One has to agree that the white goods may have seen better days but they performed the function that I required, that was to keep the foodstuffs cold. Also some of the fittings could be described as tired if you were comparing them with newly bought items, perhaps I should expect this every time I visit a holiday complex which has seen many "careful users" during the year.
There again not sure what more I could of hoped for from a self-catering apartment, perhaps if I had paid a similar amount to say a Premier Inn room in the UK say £80 per night then I should criticise more, but since I was getting an upstairs and downstairs for just over half of this cost I think I should be satisfied.
Auntie Annie sheets at home must be as thick as blankets which are something you really appreciate in the heat of a Mediterranean night.
600Ricky said that Stavros was only interested if you were spending money with him well I did not find this to be true.
600Ricky said that the electrics were unsafe, however my apartment was fitted with circuit breakers hence any leakage current would have tripped the breaker, therefore no issue for me.
Hence my overall view of my visit was a very pleasant stay.
I returned home with no bumps and bruises from falling masonry, no skin disease or other aliments from unsanitary conditions, no food poisoning from food that had not been kept cold by the fridge.
Hence I would ask people to judge on the weight of evidence of positive postings versus the odd few postings of some who have some strange ideas at what should be expected from a modest Hotel Apartment Complex rated "B" by the CTO.

Room Tip: Do not choose those given to Aunt Annie or 600Ricky!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank OKCYPRUS
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A great holiday just not long enough,the appartments are basic but very comfortable but what more do you need.there clean and tidy-staff are fantastic-cant do enough for you.food is great.Not every ones cup of tea but definetly ours-thanks to stavros and the staff.
Polis is a small village with plenty of bars/resturants all well priced and lovley food-20 min walk from a shingle beach and with a walk along the beach a further 15min you can visit Laatchi a small fishing village.I would advise hiring a car-cyprus is a fantastic country and needs to be seen.
We will be going back as we love the place-Thanks

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bath Somerset
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the Bougainvillea from the 5th to 19th September. We arrived in the heat of the day and first impressions were when welcomed by Stavros that it was homely and friendly.
We had apartment 24 which, although was a fair way from the reception enabled us to enjoy all the beautiful plants and flowers on the walkway and in the gardens.
We were pleased with the apartment. Yes it is dated, yes the towels could be replaced, yes the tiles and grout need replacing and the loo seat fixing but we were here to enjoy Polis and Cyprus not sit in a chair staring at the four walls,
We hired a car which is essential here especially if you want to explore the Troodos and go off the beaten track. The hire price was good value for money and the company will give you a 10% discount if you mention Bougainvillea when booking. (Thank you to a previous reviewer for this!).
Stavros was a great host and Sui who helps him run the apartments is superb. A lovely smiley lady always on the go from dawn til dusk and for which nothing was to much trouble.
Stavros holds a weekly BBQ and is a great idea as it brings all the guests together and was a very enjoyable evening on the last Friday we were there.
As for Polis itself we loved it. Its not commercialised and tacky as Paphos has unfortunately become...it is the old Cyprus. A few tavernas and bars with Latchi being a few miles away if you need just a little bit more.
Several reviews on here have mentioned the Stavros fan club. This was our first time here and yes there were obviously lots of repeat guests who were very friendly with Stavros but so what! You are here to have a relax chilled holiday not obsess about grout and the Stavros fan club!
All in all we had a great chilled holiday...so thank you to Stavros, Sui and the team.

Room Tip: The higher the apartment number the further you are from the reception and pool.
2 Thank Chive1
Millom, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I really want to be fair in my review of these apartments. I had read previous mixed reviews and decided to go with an open mind.

On arrival the hotel looked lovely. we were met by Stavros and were given a very welcome cold drink.
The walkway to the the rooms was beautiful, the flowers amazing and the scent heavenly. The pool looked very welcoming.
Car parking was cleverly underneath the apartments so the car was always kept cool.
Great frist impression which evaporated as soon as the aparment door was opened.
The paint was peeling off the walls and the plaster was falling off the ceiling, there were cobwebs everywhere and so much dust and hair it was revolting!
Upstairs was no better. The bathroom was mouldy no other way to put it.
The grout and the silicone were black with dirt and mould. Neither the bath nor basin had been cleaned in ages, the grime was making the surface feel rough.
Although the toilet rim was clean and there was loo cleaner in the bowl,
the sides of the pedestal were still splashed with urine and had hair stuck on too.
Goodness knows when the mirror had last been cleaned, it was like looking at myself through a fog! These things were not cleaned during the whole of our two week stay.

The cleaners were all very friendly but I don't think they had the faintest idea how to clean. Our cleaner would ring a mop out in a bucket of water, carry the wet mop inside.
It was then used to wipe round the bathroom and bedroom floor before being used to wipe round the kitchen and living room. No rinsing the mop between bathroom and kitchen
but even worse was that she then rinsed the mop in the same bucket and did the same again to the next apartment and then the next etc!
Same bucket of water for several apartments. Talk about spreading germs around!
The floor wasn't swept, surfaces weren't wiped and our bins weren't emptied from the Wednesday we arrived until the following Saturday. In the hot weather this was disgusting.

We too had dreadful problems with ants, and we don't use sugar, MrsA. I don't mean just a few there were hundreds of them. We had to buy bug spray to sort it.

I really struggle to understand what is happening here. Does Stavros have special apartments he keeps for his regular guests or do they have no standards.
ScottishSusanGal said "towels and sheets are changed on a regular basis what more do you need"
Well sheets that weren't so thin that you could see the matress through them or so many bobbles it was like sleeping on sandpaper, and
Oh yes, cleanliness would have been nice!

Tired I can do, dated, I can do, but downright dirty? Never.

Room Tip: I cannot help anyone to choose a good room here, my only advice would be to avoid it.
6 Thank AuntieAnnie_12
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having stayed at the Bougainvillea Apartments for an "early chill out" in April of this year I find that some of the recent negative comments are extremely suprising.Particularly leeconn and 600ricky who are so very wide of the mark.
First of all, you get what you pay for,we should not be expecting five star accomodation!
As stated by scottishsusangall "A holiday is what you make it !"
We had a grand time, if we needed anything it was provided "post haste",advice was only a question away and Stavros and his staff always had a ready smile. Not something that can be said of many hoteliers is this country!
We have travelled extensively though many of the Greek Islands and also on the Greek Mainland and I can honestly say that the atmosphere at the Bougainvillea is one of the best we have found.
If you want a good holiday on a budget with friendly faces(and an excellent Cypriot breakfast) this is the place. I would definitely recommend it !!
Having said all this,we fly out to agin for our second visit to Stavros on the 23rd of this month.
We have never visited the same place twice before until now---Says something doesn't it !!!!

Room Tip: Rooms of a higher number that 17, whilst being further away from the pool and bar areas,can be somew...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polis
Mariela Hotel Apartments
Bay View Hotel Apartments
Zening Resorts
Zening Resorts
#4 of 6 in Latchi

Been to Bougainvillea Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!