“Dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Village Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Platres
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: “The Village Restaurant” in Platres belongs to Agi Jacovides, the owner of Semiramis Hotel. I was amazed with the delicious cuisine of Agi and he was telling me that he is cooking everything by himself only. Nobody else helps in the kitchen. He is very passionate with his cooking which he learned from his Mother he said. One can find mostly Traditional Cypriot cuisine here and from what I found out from the little chat I had with other people, everyone likes it here. Prices are affordable and portions quite big. From what I have seen the Restaurant is very popular both with Cypriots who come to Platres by coaches and the restaurant is full each day, but also it is popular with tourists who come to Platres and enjoy his Cypriot cuisine. Mousaka costs 10 euro, Kalamari (squid) 8.50, Steak port chop 7.50, Koupepia –stuffed vine leaves 9 euro. A beer will cost you 2.50 euro and a carafe of wine 75ml costs 7.50 euro. I found the prices reasonable, and because everything used here is freshly cut I can strongly recommend it. Agi will do his best to have his customers happy. The view from the Restaurant is panoramic, but the inside décor is also great.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Very welcoming owner who recommended dishes and wine and generally was a very good host. No negatives

Visited June 2014

• Greek first
Norfolk
“Very good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were staying at The Semiramis Hotel which is also owned by the family and our first nights meal was included at this restaurant. We were made very welcome and the food was very good. It was very quiet while we were in Platres in early May and there were only a few places to eat in the evening but we went back twice out of choice. Each time Akis suggested different dishes for us to try and they were all delicious.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
“Authentic, unpretentious, delicious, great view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

We've had a house in this village for years, but never before tried the Village Restaurant. Mistake. It's lovely. The owner and chef, Akis, is charming, and brought the food to our table himself. The menu is typical traditional Cypriot fare, but a cut above your average taverna. We shared the moussaka - moist, delicious, and individually prepared in clay bowls - and farmed trout from Kakopetria, on the other side of the mountain. I'm not sure why he doesn't get it from Platres, which has its own trout farm, but it was very good, with crispy skin and a delicious lemon sauce; or perhaps the lemon was squeezed on at the end, as it is on almost everything the Cypriots consume. The chips were sprinkled with oregano, another Cypriot stable, but not one I've had on chips before; it made them special. That's all we had, but my father says the rest of the menu is equally good. The view from the terrace is stunning - over the pine forests of the southern side of the Troodos mountains, perhaps all the way to the coast on a clear day, though that may have been wishful thinking. We'll definitely be back on a regular basis. N.B.: I'm not sure how to rate the atmosphere, as we were two of only four diners there, as it was mid-week and low season; I'm giving it a three, but best to make up your own minds.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Ottawa, Canada
“Great value and experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

The restaurent is very good for meat dishes. The Kopepia was very sumptous and the portions were very satisfying. All meals come with French fries and Salad. The restaurent also offers some very good house wine. The Ravioli was delicious and hand made, however it was not as filling as the meat options. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the view. Agis was a welcoming and informative host. I will definately go back the next time I'm in Platres. The Kleftiko is the best that I had when in Cyprus.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“The best choice in platers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great Cypriot dishes! Palters has great scenery but not many quality restaurants, in fact it's a challenge to find somewhere nice to eat. The village restaurant is definitely an exception! It's a friendly family restaurant, the owner Akis and his wife are eager to serve you the best local dishes. In terms of value, here you can get the best value for your money... Weather permitting the balcony is a great choice.

• Visited April 2014