“Perfect place to be all year round”
Review of Semiramis Hotel

Semiramis Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Platres
Limassol, Cyprus
“Perfect place to be all year round”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at Semiramis last weekend and IT WAS JUST PERFECT. Niki and Mr. Iakovos made us feel right at home. Breakfast is simple but being in Platres you do not really need that much to eat. During the summer you can sit outside to have your breakfast and during the day read a book or even play cards. During the winter there is a breakfast room downstairs where there is also a fireplace where you can sit and relax in the afternoon.

We stayed in number 3 room where there is a fireplace, which it does not work but who cares anyway. Our view though was the best, the sound of trees and birds at noon is most relaxing.

We are definitely going back in a month where the weather will be cooler even though in Platres especially at night time is 17 degrees.

Hospitable people, beautiful scenery, historic building, weather and much much more which you will have to discover when you visit this place and Platres.

Room Tip: Rooms at level one, especially room no. 3 and 5
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eva14lia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Greek first
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have been to Platres many times, mainly on day trips by car when being in Cyprus. For the first time this year decided to stay for a couple of nights. After searching online, we came across The Semiramis hotel website. Booking was very easy. When we arrived at the hotel we were met by Niki who was very pleasant. Our room are slightly on the small side but comfortable with a very nice en- suit bathroom. Breakfast can be taken inside or outside on the terrace. breakfast itself is tea or coffee, boiled or fried egg, cheese,meat and toast and marmade.
Tip. The hotel is set back from the main area of Platres so there is a fair amount of up and down hill walking

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank powerplasticsman
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,933 helpful votes
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The “Semiramis” is one of my favourite Hotels in Platres. I have come here the previous year when it was under the supervision of Agi Iacovides the Hotel owner but Niki, Agi’s sister is running it this year. The hotel is situated in Pano Platres – a very popular mountain resort.
Semiramis Hotel attracts guests the year round because many locals find Platres the ideal retreat from the heat of the coastal areas in summer, and it is also popular with skiers in winter who find refuge here as Mount Olympus is only 9 kms away. Of course Platres is known all over for the nightingales that come during the months of April and May. How can one resist the beauty of autumn with the colourful and scenic view and beauty of nature!
It is a unique structure of the early 1900’s and it retains its classic 1920’s style that surely stands out among the other buildings. It has bestowed the honour of granting protected status by the Cypriot Government and the European Union. The interior design blends with traditional hospitality providing an ambience that is a guarantee for the demanding visitor. I come here because I love exactly this style, the surround area, and the people who owe it. It is very different from the rest of the hotels here, and it stands out as a gem in Platres. You cannot pass-by without noticing it.
I love the simplicity and elegance of the interior the subtle alliance of soft light colours, the natural wood piece of furniture and the new textiles that combine to the contemporary yet soothing atmosphere.
There was a TV set in the room but if you are in Platres you surely won’t bother even to listen to the news! Don’t expect to have an ice box in your room either. Instead you are given a Cypriot clay jug with cold spring water. These clay jugs keep the water cool for many hours and you can kindly ask to have them refilled. This is how water was kept cool from ancient years! This is tradition.
I had room #4 which was nicely decorated overlooking to the amazing garden and the high pine trees that stand at the side of the hotel. I loved the bathroom with the low ceiling. It was like an attic and through the window I could see as far as the coast of Limassol. It was as if I was looking at a nice piece of painting when I was looking through the window, and the window was the actual frame.
Breakfast was more than adequate with grilled halloumi cheese and lountza, a fried egg, marmalade, honey, and coffee. For the first time I had the chance to have my breakfast out in the beautiful garden next to the pine trees. It was just amazing!
The mountain air is so fresh and clean and the birds will surely wake you early in the morning because they are all over in Platres. I spare these moments in my memory now and long to return and wake up from tweets of birds and the gurgling of water which can be heard throughout Platres.
The people who are running the hotel now are still members of the family and there is Jack (Iakovos) the Father who is always around to help with the guests. This time I found him painting the outside walls. His love for this classic building is obvious and I noticed from the way he was painting it. It was as if he was pampering a kid. Unfortunately the loss of his dear wife cost him a lot and he is sad and in great pain. He is always around until the last guest returns to lock the entrance door, but he would give the guest tips of the round area, and help in any way he can to make the guests’ stay more comfortable.
I expected a couple from Paphos to join me and walk the Kalidonia trail together. I tell Niki that I don’t know them but it is an honour for me to have this couple coming all the way from Paphos to see me, and who actually live in Australia. Niki had a surprise for us the following day and when the couple arrived she drove us in her jeep to the beautiful Venetian Bridge of Tzielefou. It is about half an hour’s drive from Pano Platres among pine trees and cedars. It is definitely a “must see” spot not to be missed.
My friends were really amazed and thankful with Niki’s gesture that clearly shows the Authentic Cypriot hospitality of locals.
We returned and walked the Kalidonia trail the three of us. The trail is only 2 Kms and the walk is pleasant and easy especially during this season. Avoid wearing slippers if you plan walking there.
The three of us had lunch at “Pygasus” Restaurant and Café where Niki expected us.
She is the Manager and owner and Christala (the daughter) and the boys seem to help with the amazing homemade dishes and serving. Here the Cypriot “meze” that means a variety of dishes costs 17 euro per person but you are brought more than 15 different dishes including coffee, dessert and fruit. They were exceptionally tasty but we could not eat everything because it was really too much! You can ask for separate dishes of course if you don’t prefer the meze but we were curious to try the different dishes. Mousaka and “Koupepia” –staffed vine leafs cost 10 and Stifado “Stew” costs 12, however all three dishes are accompanied by potatoes or rice plus Salad.
The grilled Trout I had the previous evening was beyond compare, sprinkled with oil and garlic and accompanied with potatoes and salad for 13 euros.
The carafe of wine (1 kilo) costs 10 euro and a glass of wine 3.
Beer (Keo or Calsberg) the big bottle costs 3 euro and 2 the smaller one.
In the Cafeteria one can buy homemade Crepes (4.50) and Waffles (chocolate/strawberry or banana served with ice cream for 6 euro.
I found both my dinner tasty and lunch the next day amazing, the food is fresh and many times cooked on the instant.
The restaurant is centrally located and you cannot miss it. Coming from Kato Platres to Pano Platres it is exactly at the big bend that takes you to the centre of Platres. It is nicely decorated in colours matching with the surroundings. I can’t wait to visit Platres again and surely I will drop by for lunch and dinner again. There is always a good reason to return here as it is one of my favourite destinations with much beauty around, just 39 Kms from Limassol and only 9 Kms from Troodos.
I highly recommend Pegasus!

Room Tip: Upper foor preferable, or a room overlooking the high pine trees and garden which is just as good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank greekcypriot2009
South Africa
Reviewed April 29, 2012

A group of friends joined me in celebrating my birthday weekend, we stayed at the Semiramis hotel having seen it recommended on tripadvisor. We were not disappointed, the family who run the hotel were very welcoming and did everything they could to make our stay there as special as possible. They welcomed us with coffee and tea and even baked a special birthday cake as a surprise for me. The rooms were very comfortable, the views of the mountains really beautiful.

I would highly recommend it to any other travellers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gbaymary
Dubai
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed in Semiramis only for one night in March, 2011.. It is a family run hotel with very nice and friendly people. It was quite cold when we checked in and Jack (One of the old owner) gave us an extra heater to keep the room warm. Breakfast is made fresh and served in a very nice living room..surely recommended for a relaxing stay up in the mountains.. Location is perfect if you would like to drive around Troodos area

Room Tip: All the rooms are good..few rooms have lovely mountain view..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kunalg28
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed for a weekend with my wife and my 3 year old boy. We had a nice lunch at village restaurant, a very nice warm room and a custom made breakfast. Mr Iakovos was very polite and friendly as well as Agis and his wife. We felt like home... As long as the building is concerned it's a traditional old building refurbished with only ten rooms. Quiet and warm. As long as the prices are concerned very cheap for what you get. There is also a nice sitting room on the base floor that you could enjoy with friends near the fireplace.

Room Tip: rooms with mountain view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kyriacoz
Larnaka City, Cyprus
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I'd done my research via tripadvisor before booking at this hotel and I have to admit that the majority of these reviews were right! Excellent hospitality (the one Cypriots are known for), cosy traditional rooms (don't expect many hi-tek facilities -you're going there to escape!). As for the rates, those were 40euros per person, half-board.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shialagnes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platres
New Helvetia
#1 of 1 in Troodos
Spring Hotel
Spring Hotel
#3 of 5 in Platres

Been to Semiramis Hotel? Share your experiences!