“Worth the effort!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kykkos Monastery (Panagia tou Kykkou)

Kykkos Monastery (Panagia tou Kykkou)
Book In Advance
More Info
$39.52*
and up
Kykkos Monastery and Kakopetria Village Excursion from Ayia Napa
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Pedoulas
More attraction details
Owner description: founded in the 12th century, the monastery is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and contains many precious icons and relics.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Worth the effort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Monastery is famous world wide. There are a large number of wall paintings there, depicting stories from the Bible. I could have spent the day just photographing these. We were amused to see the arrival of the ice cream van and a queue quickly formed.....of Monks anxious to get a 99!!
The first time we visited there was a van selling long trousers and shirts and blouses for those who turned up in beach clothes!! The last time we visited they had a number of Monk type gowns that you could borrow to cover your indiscretions!
It was so peaceful, I nearly joined!

Visited September 2012

• Polish first
England
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Long drive along windy roads”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

It’s a beautiful, though quite modern building. The glitz in the church is amazing and the wealth very evident. You can wonder around freely (the museum has a charge), but you don’t see many monks or get a feel for their lives and living conditions. It’s too far out of the way for a sole reason to go there but we included it in our day tour from Paphos with a drive along the windy mountain roads, Cedar Valley, Mount Olympia, Troodos, Kaledonia Waterfall and the Keliphos Medieval Venetian bridge. See more details of our drive on my novatravels website.

Visited March 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Uplifting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We visited the monastery at the end of the day so it was very quiet.There was a small service being conducted whilst we were there.I checked that is was ok to go in before I entered the main church.The chanting and smell of incense was just amazing.I stood still spellbound for about ten minutes.If it hadn't been for my heathen husband and impatient children wishing to move on I could have stayed a lot longer.I felt very privileged to have witnessed this very special moment.

Visited April 2013
West Mids
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Underwhelmed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Unless you are religious, I think this is a waste of time & money. All about taking your cash, rather than providing any insight to the actual lives of the monks. I didn't find anything worth the time it took to get here. The best part of it was the journey & getting to see parts of Cyprus you wouldn't normally see. Can't find the restaurants in the area listed, but avoid them like the plague. Appalling food at a rip off price. I was really disappointed and annoyed about the whole experience.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank Schnapped
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Neat monastery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Very beautiful! The wall art was very nice, and if you get a chance to go into the chapel, it is worth a look!

Visited March 2013