We have just returned from a 2 night stay at Capital Coast. We live in Nicosia Cyprus and went for the weekend to visit family.
We are well traveled and have stayed in a variety of hotels both in Cyprus and across the world usually in 4 or 5 star hotels. Generally you get what you pay for, nothing is perfect and even at the best hotels, occasionally things can go wrong.
However this place is strange!
It seems they do whatever they can to cut costs and boost profits, at the expense of the guest.
You enter a large, empty and dark reception area. Most of the lights are off. In the center there is an expanse of empty space, with a smell which i put down to fried food and what appeared to be mothballs.
There is no concierge, porter or indeed anyone to assist you with your luggage.
The corridors on the upper levels resemble an abandoned office building, no carpets just grey tiled floors with a wall of doors.
The room was actually very nice, great space, bright, 2 TV's a bathroom, separate toilet, kitchenette and a lounge. That is the positive comments over, the rest is very strange.
You are told your towels for the bathrooms are changed every 3 days, so you need to make sure you don't get them dirty! However they don't give you enough. We were 2 people, we had a bathroom/shower and a separate toilet. So we had our 2 bath towels plus the 2 hand towels in the bathroom, if we used the separate toilet, we had to wash our hands then go to the other bathroom to dry them.
You are allocated 1 beach towel for each person via a voucher, you are told that these are changed once every 2 days, not daily. i asked what I should do if i got it dirty and was advised to wash it myself using the washing machine in the kitchenette.
There are 2 lifts, one for the right hand wing and 1 for the left wing. However you can see that there are actually 2 lift shafts built at each end, ie it was built with the intention to instal 4 lifts, but only 2 were installed. At times you could wait 10 minutes to get into the lift.
We booked room only as we had no intention of eating at the hotel, what a good job. I had read other reviews about the food, which were worrying. We had lunch once at the pool bar, 2 sandwiches, they were tasteless and totally un satisfying. However I did out of curiosity go to see what breakfast was on offer, all i can say is thank god we didn't have it. Greasy smelly slop is the best way I can describe it.
The drink pricing at the pool bar was strange, a 25cl cup of orange juice (25cl is a disposable cup from a water dispensing machine) was priced at €4.00 yet a normal glass of wine was €3.95. A Coca Cola (25cl) from a dispenser, not a can or bottle was €1.95. Just daylight robbery. Generally in Cyprus, even at the best hotels a fresh orange juice 500ml will cost between €3.50 €5.00. When i questioned these prices the bar manager just looked the other way. No doubt I was not the first. The chairs at the pool bar are solid wooden chairs with wooden slats, but no cushions.
As we were staying just 36 hours we tolerated all the above and more, but never again.
The hotel i discovered was built by a property developer, who intended to sell the rooms as time share, this did not materialize, so they converted it to what they call a hotel. it is not a hotel of 4 star standard. It appears this is, their only hotel.
As a previous reviewer said, at check out no questions about our sty or customer questionnaire were offered, there is a surprise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next to the historic Tombs of the Kings, it offers a variety of spacious high quality one, two and three bedroom suites, all encompassing a contemporary light modern decor that captures the Mediterranean spirit. All suits are designed to offer a unique home away from home experience of comfort and luxury. Other services include restaurants and bars, Spa and Bath House, gymnasium & fitness center, beautician and hairdressing salon, squash, indoor and outdoor swimming pools. Opens on 1 August 2008. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HostelWorld, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Cancelon, Bookcyprus.com, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Capital Coast Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capital Coast Resort And Spa
- Capital Coast Hotel Paphos