“Authentic and beautifully atmospheric”

Mother's Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 558 Restaurants in Paphos
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I've been to Cyprus on many occasions, most recently in September 2012. I'm ashamed to say this was the first time that I came across Mother's Restaurant and am devastated not to have found it before now!

Costas and his brother were incredibly welcoming and friendly, taking the time to speak to each individual who came into the restaurant and nothing was too much bother. I ended up eating here 3 nights of a 6 night break and it was the best place over all. Whilst some places on the harbour front are rather touristy, this place is just a stone's throw from that and feels so genuinely authentic, full of fantastic ambiance and feeling.

The food is wonderful. The talatouri was the best I've tasted, the moussaka was delicious, as was the tavas and the lam special I had. The food is freshly prepared and you can seek it cooking merrily away in the clay oven. I only wish I could have tried so much more!

What stands out most for me was that on one particular night, the restaurant was absolutely heaving - it was full of ex-pats, meeting up for what sounded like their monthly get together. Costas and his brother didn't stop working and were run off their feet. However, they stopped to talk to us for quite some time, and made a point of ensuring that everyone who came into their restaurant was warmly greeted. I have never come across such fantastic service.

I would most definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Paphos, a real must eat place.

2  Thank RJ_84_12
There are newer reviews for Mother's Restaurant

Reviewed October 11, 2012

As a Paphos resident we generally stay clear of the tourist area when looking to dine out. On the recommendation of this site and an acquaintance we visited Mothers last night, (mid Oct).
We were warmly greeted and introduced to our table and the menu. We had a carafe of the red house wine which was nice but overpriced. We settled for the specials of the night, Pork and kleftico lamb. Both meats were dry and the accompanying gravy/jus was tasteless. The potatoes looked good but again were hard(overcooked rather than undercooked) We went out for a simple mid-week meal and felt disappointed with the quality and price charged.
We will not go again. There are so many good tavernas just out of town that eating here does not make sense. This is especially true for holiday makers who have limited time to experience an authentic atmosphere and well prepared food.
In summary - OK, but not value for money. Do not let the warm welcome veil your common sense.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Instant enthusiasm and genuine pleasure in the faces of the (owners?`) upon our arrival. It was like we were old friends even though this was our first visit. Food excellent. Service `spot on` Friendly, jovial and eager to serve. A real treasure.

3  Thank labradoodles4us
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Great value tasty food in a pretty ,hidden away corner with one of the best characters with the maddest laugh I've come across in Cyprus.We were given free drinks and ice cream for the kids and also alowed to pick lemons from the lemon tree.Comfortable and laid back. "Lovely jubbley"

4  Thank embembooshkin
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hidden away behind Debenhams, the owner / waiter was quite pleasant and chatty and made one feel at ease. Food was standard fare, nice and nothing particularly special, but OK.