Excellent, well equipped villa, with easy access to the sea. Villa is set in a quiet location but only a 10 minute walk to a wide range of restaurants, shops and good supermarket. Hosts were very good with fruit and wine on arrival. Sensible check in and out proceedures which worked well.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
We have just returned from a two week stay in this villa and have to say we were very disappointed. We were a party of 7 who were made up of two families (4 Parents and 3 daughters aged 16 – 22). The 2 mothers are long standing friends and both celebrated their 50th birthdays this year and we booked this villa as part of their special celebrations. We were mainly attracted to this villa because of the location and wonderful views which are its biggest selling points. This combined with 5 stars on TripAdvisor sold it to us. However, we now realise that there are many things that let this villa down and the 5 stars are based on a single review from 2014. Is there a reason for only one review?
1) We arrived at the villa at 10pm on a Saturday evening and were briefly met by a man (who we later found out was one of the owners). Our arrival consisted of: - being asked to take a photo of the electric meter, being shown where the timer was for hot water, being asked not to use the electric security rollers and being given 2 sets of keys. We were also shown where to get the Wi-Fi codes (after calling him back). We were not given a proper tour of the property, any instruction on the facilities or information regarding bed linen and towels etc. We were told that the agent would be round to see us the next morning (Sunday) but this did not happen.
2) On our 3rd day (Tuesday) all of our electricity went off, we located the main fuse box inside the villa and nothing had tripped so assumed this was a local power cut. However, we later found that our neighbours were unaffected and eventually found there was another main trip in the out building opposite the electric meter. Just after resetting this we bumped into our agent for the first time outside the villa talking to the owner. We were provided with her contact number at this point. The electricity tripped numerous times throughout our holiday and we pinpointed it to be when using the toaster. We did report this but the owner just blamed Cypriot wiring and plugged the toaster into another socket. This did not cure the problem and we did not bother reporting it again - we just kept resetting the outside trip.
3) Electricity is not included in the rental cost; this is mentioned at the very bottom of the owner’s description once you click “more”. However, we were not prepared for how inefficient items such as the air conditioning and pool pumps must be. We were not excessive at all in our use of electricity, we cooked in the oven twice, set the hot water timer to heat up twice a day (am & pm), used the dish washer 5 times and used the air conditioning in the bedrooms at night time only. However, we were still faced with a bill of 178.00 euros.
4) The décor, whilst adequate was not what you would expect when paying 2100.00 euros a week.
5) We had booked for 7 people and therefore required all four bedrooms, however the basement room was not made up with sheets and just had a blanket covering the mattress. We found a spare duvet in one of the other bedroom cupboards and made do with this.
6) Two of the sunbeds had large cracks and felt like they were going to break when you sat on them. This only gave us 6 good loungers around the pool so we raised this through the agent, a replacement for one of these was reluctantly provided so that we could have 7 around the pool.
7) On our last day we were called early in the morning by the agent who said she would come and meet us an hour before our departure. Consequently, I left the rest of our party finishing their dinner and went back to the villa early to meet her. However, the rest of our party were back before the agent who turned up with the owner at the same time as our taxi. Just like our arrival we were not afforded any pleasantries by the owner, we were just made to read the meter and pay for the electricity. The agent despite being late was very pleasant and looked quite embarrassed as the owner started stripping beds and questioning if we had used extra linen from the wardrobes. Bearing in mind our official departure was the next morning I thought this was very rude.
8) The final issue came after our return to England when the owners put in a claim with TripAdvisor for 2/3 of our 300-euro deposit. They claimed we had damaged a bedside lamp, made a hole in a blanket and damaged the back of one of the dining chairs. The dining table only seats four so we always ate at the outside table, the bedside lamp was never used (the socket was used to charge a phone) and we did not observe any holes in bed linen whilst we were there. Obviously we disputed the claim but the owner provided some photos to TripAdvisor of our so called damage and we had no way to disprove this especially given the fact we had no time on arrival or departure in terms of inspection. To be honest there are many faulty or damaged items in the villa that they could easily have taken photos of and the only way to protect yourself would be to meticulously examine and take your own photographic of the whole villa which really did not cross our mind at the beginning of the holiday. In the end TripAdvisor had to adjudicate a partial settlement which although frustrating for us, had to be based upon the evidence they had before them and of course we had nothing except our honest opinion.
All in all, we paid “top dollar” for our 2-week stay and feel that the owners are taking every opportunity to maximise their revenue but are not very focused on providing good hospitality. Having become friendly with the people renting next door we soon realised that we could have rented an almost identical villa for about 70% of what we paid and also had electricity included.
Despite all of the above we still managed to enjoy our visit to Cyprus and Coral Bay and have had some fantastic meals and trips from which we will keep some fond memories.
We have just returned from a wonderful vacation in Cyprus where we stayed in this lovely house with amazing view. The house was exceptionally clean and well organized, with everything functioning properly. Our days by the pool were blissful and the Coral Bay Area was lovely (although choice for more sophisticated tastes in restaurants are limited). We have enjoyed barbecuing in the patio, lazy days by the pool playing with our daughter and wonderful runs along the ocean. The host Ekaterina and Zhenia were very helpful and pleasure to deal with, meeting us with wine , fruit and cheese. And their property is amazing value for money. We definately are coming back. /Eglė and Donald