“Very good introduction to Cyprus”

Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed December 23, 2012

First time in Cyprus and this hotel was first class in making the experience memorable. It is set right up against the sea and I was fortunate in having a sea view room on the top floor. Super little balcony to sit out on and watch the varying states and stages the ocean gets up to. Nice, too, to watch the sunsets as it faced west - though, sadly, only able to do this on 3 of the 7 days there. The locals said the rain, lightning and thunder was "extremely unusual". Impressed by the quality of service of staff - their sole aim, it seemed to me, was to make your holiday enjoyable. Room service was every day and the bed linen quality was very high though the bed was a little too firm for me. Spotless room. Only let down - otherwise I would have given five stars - was the very ordinary tv (not a flat screen as I would expect nowadays) and the noise insulation between rooms was light - you could hear next door neighbours talking, for instance! I was on half board and the food was varied, well prepared and very eatable. The breakfast restaurant was on the lower ground floor and the evening restaurant on the ground floor. A joy to use both of them. A splendid reception area - on a couple of days I had problems in connecting to the wi-fi though thehotel said this was down to the carrier rather than them. Having a car was pretty essential though there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. Elephant car rental at the airport were good and I recommend them. If you've not done much travelling abroad then this destination is good for first or second timers. English is widely spoken and the cars have the steering wheel in the right place! For those more energetic than me there is a well stocked gym and an indoor swimming pool - the two outside would be wonderful in warmer weather. The hotel has a good ambience - you'll enjoy your stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room - well worth the extra cost. Given decent weather the balcony is a great pla...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bryan W

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Unlike most people staying at Aquamare, we were there on business for an EU-presidency conference. I have to admit that I've never stayed at a tourist resort hotel before, so I don't have much to compare it with. Still, I'd like to share my experience. I found the staff very friendly and generally accommodating throughout my 5-day stay, and the facilities excellent. The Wifi was excellent, but unfortunately there were problems throughout the island, so we were constantly being cut off. This, I understand, wasn't the hotel's fault. I stayed on the street side, and did not upgrade as I saw the room as a place to work or sleep. Compared to my usual urban environment, the so-called "busy" street was rather quiet. On the other hand, I stayed in December, and can imagine that things get more busy during tourist season. My main concern with the hotel is the lack of restaurants within walking distance. Unfortunately, the quality of the food at the bar/room service reflected the lack of competition.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DavidE3
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I loved the food, the friendliness of the staff (who all spoke English well), the spa facilities, and everything. It's not that close from the center, but the proximity and the view to the beach pays it off. The internet worked well from the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kikilez
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I have just returned from a week in Paphos and have to say that I found non of the negative comments made in the past to be accurate. The Hotel was very tastefully dressed for Christmas, the facilites available were excellent; we very much enjoyed our early morning coffee and a glass of wine on the balcony with fantastic sea views. We were lucky with the weather in that the sun shone each day allowing us to start the day with breakfast on the outdoor terrace. Food in the hotel was of a high standard and service was always with a smile - a special thankyou to Lucien and Michaela who made our stay. I really liked the quieter postion of the Hotel and the very enjoyable walk into the harbour area of Paphos. I would certainly return to this hotel and can't praise it highly enough. As far as the comment on Eastern European visitors I found all of the guests and of all nationalities to be very pleasant, perhaps a good morning and a smile helps! I should say that there is building work being carried out next door but that didn't bother us at all, in fact we actually welcomed the 7.00am start to the day as the sun was already up and beckoning us outdoors.

Room Tip: A sea view is preferable
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank norma49
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My husband and I have recently returned from 2 weeks at the Aquamare. It was our 4th year here and the staff are truly amazing, very friendly and helpful. The food is excellent with a different theme every night, with plenty of choice, lots of salads, many hot dishes, soup, and of course the dessert table with many different delicious goodies to choose from, not so good if like me you are a diabetic :( but always fruit to choose from as well.

The rooms are cleaned to a high standard every day and linen and towels changed very frequently. The only down side is the rooms are looking somewhat tired with stained carpets, otherwise there are no complaints.

There is a new hotel being built next door and we did hear some work going on, the worst being 5 cement lorries arriving at 5am one morning, they mostly started working at about 7.30 but it really didn't wake us, I can't say it bothered us during the day either, just one of those things not worth worrying about!!

Special thanks to Aristos (Manager) Evo and Tony (Restaurant) and Elena, Magda, Amalia, Michaela and the very cheeky Marina:) You made our holiday extra special, Thank you all.

Jan and David Hart

Room Tip: Sea View rooms do have a wonderful view and you also get some wonderful sunsets over the sea.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SuffolkBritabroad
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Located on the beach with spectacular views over the sea, this hotel offers a warm welcome with helpful and friendly staff. In a quiet location, it is one of the last hotels on Poseidon Avenue but is only 10 mins by bus (or a 30 min walk along the promenade to the harbour). My room was spacious, well-furnished and clean – a kettle and a safe were welcome features. It had a balcony with views over the road and the mountains in the distance. The bed was comfortable although the mattress was very firm and there was no noise from traffic or other rooms. Breakfast was the usual selection of hot and cold food and enjoyed overlooking the pool and sparkling blue sea in the sunshine (in November)! The buffet lunch at the hotel was delicious with a good choice of starters, main courses and desserts. The pool area and grounds down to the beach are well-maintained and offer lovely views – including spectacular sunsets. It is disappointing that the beach in front of the hotel is not as well as looked after compared to those of neighbouring hotels and, as previous reviewers have noted, some of the sun loungers are broken and need updating. The beach towels provided are also thread-bare and need replacing. Otherwise, a lovely hotel. Finally, the building work at the hotel next door caused no disturbance.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank EU27Traveller
Reviewed November 23, 2012

A high quality relaxing environment with good food and outstanding service. All the staff from the manager to the receptionists and the waitresses were very welcoming and helpful. It is a smaller hotel than others nearby and seems to focus on having quality staff. We had a great 10 days and will go back again

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple