“Better than we thought”

Ascos Coral Beach Hotel
Ranked #54 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed March 28, 2007

We've just returned from a week at the Ascos and like one of the other reviewers I was concerned prior to the trip having read the reviews.

I agree it is not 4 star standard by UK standards, but the all inclusive did to me indicate value for money. I don't drink alcohol, but my husband enjoys the odd glass of wine with a meal, cool beer etc.

I am a vegetarian and I cannot fault the menu variety, and I've had some experiences in my time!! Not an omellette or 'just take the ham of of the salad' in sight!! French hotels please note!! There was a wide choice of fresh salads and vegetables and everything was piping hot and replenished regularly. Only one problem, often it was just too much.

The restaurant staff were well organised and you were allocated your own waitress and service was prompt and pleasant. Seating was varied so everyone had a chance to sit by the window and enjoy the wonderful view and sunsets.

I agree with the smoking problem, having just recovered from cancer and intensive treatment the last thing I wanted to do was sit anywhere smokey, which was a problem, sometimes even on our own balcony, non-smoking rooms would be good, but at least the restaurant areas were smoke-free, with the exception of the terrace where it would have been nice to eat, but you can't have it all ways I suppose.

Prior to arriving I emailed the hotel enquiring regarding a quiet room (in view of my recent illness) and whether swimming towels were provided. Replies were prompt and courteous and the room was in a quiet area. Only one problem here, the 'entertainment' which we didn't participate in, was extremely loud well past 11 pm one night in particular. I telephoned reception desperate that they lowered the volume, it would appear that the outside speakers around the pool area had been left on, which was another part of the day which often got a bit annoying.

Reception was prompt and efficient, particularly when we arrived and six members of staff dealt with the group so there was no delay at all.

The lending library was one of the best I've seen in a hotel, a varied stock of books for all tastes.

Upper floor rooms are being refurbished and I'm sure they are doing their best to improve the facilities whilst remaining open.

All in all we enjoyed our holiday and yes I would certainly consider going back again.

At the end of the day - each to their own.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dreckly
There are newer reviews for Ascos Coral Beach Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2007

Just returned Feb 11 from Ascos Hotel we would say definately not a 4star hotel staff are pleasant enough food ok for one week! We came back from being out all day to find that the painters had been painting the door frames and balconies that we were on why would you do this when you have guests staying on that floor!! Does NOT cater for non smokers you come out of the dining room and have to walk through clouds of smoke to get anywhere!

Will not be returning

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank notamoaner
Reviewed January 30, 2007

Have just returned from a month all inclusive at the Ascos. Good points are the dining room and bar staff who are very efficient and friendly. The gardens are well kept and spacious with plenty of sun beds and a few tables and chairs on the terrace. Location is good with good bus service every day into Phafos and there are many quiet areas to walk in. Nearest snady beach is Coral Bay a 10 minute walk from the hotel.
The down side is that the bedrooms though spacious were very tired and we moved rooms 3 times before finding anything approaching satisfactory. Lifts in the hotel broke down during the month and were not repaired before we left. Food is predictable and rather bland, meat overcooked and usually the fish was inedible. Good food spoiled by poor cooking and being kept warm for hours didn't help. The alcoholic content of the all inclusive drinks needs inspection. Some times the staff gave 2 measures but more often only one and all of the spirits were so weak they couldn't get out of the glass unaided. Not much chance of getting a hang over at the Ascos.
Very poor facilities for non smokers who are herded into a very small area at the corner of the lounge surrounded by smoking areas. There are no non smoking bedrooms in the hotel. Because there is only one large L shaped lounge there is no escape from music and the often appalling entertainment. No imagination at all as entertainment consisted of a quiz, bingo and "show time" of which the least said the better. Canned music for breakfast lunch and dinner and often 2 conflicting sound systems played at the same time. Neither entertainment staff or reception seemed to be willing to do anything about this even though asked. One saving grace was some of the long stay guests especially the four girls and the tall lady who talked a lot (she will know who we mean). They made our stay bearable. This is a basic 3 star hotel in urgent need of a complete revamp. We would not return
Bill & Mike (recently retired)

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bbmf
Reviewed January 28, 2007

After reading the mixed reviews on this hotel, I was beginning to wonder what myself and my partner were letting ourselves into but we had a great time.

Went to the Ascos 17-24 Jan although we did have an 8hr delay and never arrived til 3 in the morning!!

Night reception checked us in quickly and directed us to our rooms - laminate flooring and comfy beds although the bathroom could have done with a refurb but we didnt spend too much time in the room.

Food was good - huge variety and I'm a fussy eater - there was a carvery every night although it did tend to be pork which was fine as we oth enjoyed it.

Entertainment was good considering it was 2 Thomas Cook reps in their early 20s who tried their hardest to entertain the guests which was difficult as the majority of them were over 60.

Bingo every night - I won £25 so well chuffed.

Coral Bay not the best place to stay in Jan although the weather was good lots of the bars are closed til Feb due to the winter season although it was warm all week for us.

All staff were pleasant - lots of Polish staff that work hard but talk to them and they'll talk to you. Lager and coke seemed a bit flat but other than that things were ok.

Only advice for others is dont use the lifts!! They are very dated and shoddy - a man we got friendly with got his arm trapped and his watch fell down the lift shaft.

wouldnt rate this as a 4 * prob bout a 3 but we both had a great time and made lots of friends even though we are only 25 and 30.

Dont worry bout the other reviews - just go and have a good time!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fifetrio
Reviewed January 28, 2007

Having returned from the Ascos at Coral Beach after spending 2 weeks over New Year 2006 I felt it necessary to post this review. The hotel itself is very nice, could do with some refurbishment especially the bedrooms on the top floors, the lift from the foyer needs a major overhaul, never felt safe using it. The food was very hit and miss, many dishes were served lukewarm or cold, (New Years Eve was marvellous) breakfast was served until 10am but on most mornings the tea and coffee machines were turn off by 9.30am, fried eggs were stone-cold, the snack-bar was the one place where you could get hot food hot! The drinks from the bar were well watered down, the staff were in need of some customer relation exercises, apart from Andreas who was so helpful and pleasant, the pool area was well furnished unfortunately the sun loungers were full of fleas. Thomas Cook entertainment team were fantastic - from morning to night nothing was too much trouble, the shows they performed at night were magic, Dan, Kerry and Lauren, unfortunately Dan and Lauren were leaving a few days after us to take up new jobs in England. We went as a party of 10 with 2 young children (aged 5 and 9) we were very disappointed to find that the Ascos didn't cater for children of any age, the majority of people there were old age pensioners who made it quite clear they didn't appreciate children being around, but we didn't let it spoil our fun. I would never recommend the Ascos to anyone with children. By the end of our 2 weeks stay we were all ready to go home, couldn't wait for the coach to arrive, would we go back again - NEVER!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank ellie1948
Reviewed January 6, 2007

We had a short five night stay here and it soothed our shattered nerves (see report on Odessa Hotel Protaras). We drove there from Larnaca airport and had some trouble finding the hotel as it is off the beaten track a bit but once on the right road we could not miss it. The rooms are large and extremely comfortable and well fitted out. The beds were really comfy and there were tea and coffee facilities as well as a fridge (which you did not need to pay for - also see Odessa Hotel). A lot of the rooms have sea view or side sea view and the pool is in front of the beach so the view was very nice. Not so good was the fact that the entertainment took place on a stage set back from the pool and underneath all the sea view and side sea view rooms. If you are looking for a quiet romantic drink on the balcony looking out to see you will be very disappointed. The music often carried on to gone midnight. We complained about this and asked to be moved but the hotel was fully booked. However if we have asked for a quiet room when we booked we would have been given one, though there would not have been a view of the sea. Mind you we only had the noise for 1 night as it rained the next couple of days and the entertainment was moved inside. The staff were friendly and helpful. The outdoor pool was excellent, really large and the indoor pool, gym and jacuzzi were all in good condition. The big plus for us was that until the end of October the hotel is for adults only, no screaming kids running about. Breakfast was pretty standard but with a good choice. The main dining room looked nice but we did not eat in there preferring to try the local restaurants. If we visit this side of Cyprus again we would stay here but in a quiet room. The hotel is quite a way outside Paphos but there is a good bus service there and it runs late evening as well.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dolphinsEssex
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Understandably, I was a bit apprehensive to say the least after reading some of the reviews on here. I'm pleased to say that for a majority of things, the hotel and staff cannot be faulted. However, I think I should mention a few things. The rooms do need refurbishing urgently and the whole hotel looks a little aged. Also, on some days their wasn't much variety at lunch. The drinks were fab and a special thank you to Andreas, who is lovely! Most of the staff were fabulous but there were a couple who treated you with short-shrift. But, most of the staff cannot do enough for you, especially in the bar during the evening. This brings me onto the evening and daytime entertainment. There is a fab entertainment team who are kept goin by the lovely Dan (unfortunately, he's leaving in a couple of weeks- but good luck to him after all the hard work he puts in and he's a great singer!). However, the evening entertainment left a lot to be desired. There is bingo most nights and normally the reps put on a show of their own. Finally, I can't finish without saying about the New Year's Eve gala dinner; this was fantastic! Everyone ate together and the entertainment took place in the dining room. It was clear how hard everyone connected to the hotel had worked and this was definitely the highlight of my holiday, helped I'm sure by the constant drinks served throughout (let's just say I didn't make breakfast or lunch the next morning!). One again, Dan was amazing and made sure everyone was having a great time throughout the evening and he was still going strong at 3am! Overall, I would definitely recommend The Ascos Beach as we all had a great time and our first experience of All Inclusive was a very positive one, even though I think I will have to diet until next Christmas to lose all the weight! Thanks to everyone at the hotel for making sure we all had a magical time and the service didn't stop until we left on the coach to go back to the airport!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Umsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paphos
Crown Resorts Horizon
Corallia Beach Hotel Apartments
Avlida Hotel
Avlida Hotel
#44 of 85 in Paphos

Been to Ascos Coral Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!