“Good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Surrey
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

We just wanted to say how good the Kissos Hotel was. We stayed for 2 weeks and had one of the superior rooms by the Lagoon pool which we would recommend as they were quite a bit bigger and newer than the hotel rooms. We found the reception staff to be friendly and helpful during our stay. The hotel was very clean and the pool was cleaned daily. The rooms were also cleaned daily.

We went bed and breakfast and the breakfasts were excellent, everyone catered for and as much tea and coffee as you liked. We filled up for breakfast and often didn't need lunch.

The surrounding area to the hotel had plenty of bars and restaurants - Fat Mamas is a very popular restaurant but we found the portions to be massive and the price seemed to reflect the size of portions. A little over rated in our eyes! Zorbas is a great Cypriot restaurant and well worth a visit - make sure you go on a Tuesday, Friday or Saturday when there are 2 Cypriot dancers who were very good and very funny.

There was a great magician in Charlie's bar on a Thursday evening who needs to be seen.

Buses to and from the Harbour and Coral Bay are air conditioned and run regularly and cost 1.50 euro for an adult and 0.95 cents for children under 12.

The First Choice Rep was regularly at the hotel if you needed to speak to her. Our car hire, which we pre booked was messed up once we got to Paphos but the rep sorted it all out relatively quickly. All in all we had a lovely time as the Kissos, whilst Paphos is not for us - too touristy (chips and Karaoke), we could not fault the hotel or the staff (including Kurtis (big daddy))!!

• Liked — Tidy room and lagoon pool
  • Disliked — Nothing
Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

I booked the Kissos through Thomas Cook after reading the fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor and i was not disappointed. The hotel is of a high standard for a 3* and we were very happy with it. Everywhere was very clean, from the public rooms and bedrooms to the pool area. We went half board and were pleased with both the choice and quality of the food on offer. The owner/manager is always in the background making sure everything is ok and can often be seen wondering around the hotel talking to guests. The staff at the Kissos were some of friendliest i have come across and most of them spoke very good English, which puts us Brits to shame. In fact during our week at Cyprus the only grumpy person we came across was a bus driver one day when we went to the harbour. We went to Larnaca and Nicossia and so got to see quite alot of the Island and it really is beautiful. We can't wait to return and hope to do so soon.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UnitedUK
Borigard
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Have just returned from the Kissos. Again like previous review would be very interested to see if the manager does respond as he never made any attempt to even say good morning to my family in the two weeks. When I had previously looked on trip advisor at the reviews and seen the manager had responded I thought must be good! and caring ! now I know why? he makes no attempt to interact whilst there! (But there again could not care less as will not return) I am going to section the main areas for comments.

Customer Service: In this hotel it was either one or two absolutley lovely staff who could not do enough or the rest who could not give a monkeys. If you had a concern I was met with a complete lack of disinterest. On some occassions felt that I was unimportant!!!! as a guest! Beware changeover days for the Hotel absoloutley manic!! There is a distinct lack of communication bewteen shifts of staff leaving the customer again chasing a response. I felt it a very autocratic style of management and staff unable to progress or could not care less to respond. To give an example the "entertainer". Tried his very best to help when he could - but as his own schedule had to change to entertain customers as the staff booked out areas leaving him unable to carry out his own duties but no communication informing him and customers (Thats there own staff!!) Also the entertainer helped on two of the occasions to resolve issues as no response from hotel staff ( Thanks a million Big Daddy)
Gym!!!!!! - Inadequate! Again The entertainer helped try and resolve the treadmill issues! What Aircon!!! If you are a customer that likes to even just have a gentle work out BEWARE, not as advertised. But as reps are of a stature that required them to utilise a gym they could not care less neither with feedback from customers!
Childrens Beds - This is a camp bed OK for a very small child (Under 5) after that no good at all. The mattresses are thinner than the sunlounger! resolution - a very friendly room opposite (single occupancy) would help by dragging with my partner the mattress between rooms each night! Then on departure of this person (mid hols) had to be very forceful to ensure got one instead of camp bed.
Sunloungers - forget a lie in set alarm clocks for 6.30 am!!! and no Germans. Then sit with towels as other members of the hotel guests chuck them. Hotel policy is if the loungers are not in use they can be removed handed in at reception. But this caused a huge amount of friction around the pool. (Please note had been informed this only occurs in the August) In other hotels I have stayed in Paphos any sunloungers reserved by guests not in use before 9am all towels removed, thus allowing fair access to all guests with no confrontation. One example Cypriot family holidaying in Hotel (common this time of year for all hotels in Paphos) placed towels out at 7am (I was already out around pool) did not come to use loungers until 4pm!!!!!!!! But as I already felt like a 2nd class british tourist had lost all will to complain!!!
Additional Costs: 3.5 Euros per day for a fridge, 2.5 Euros a day for a kettle (2 x teabags 2 x coffee satchets) 2.5 Euros for a safe per day . Again these are optional as per customer but altogether if you unaware add about 200 Euros to your costs before you get there! Kids - if you want internet access it is 2 Euros per 15 mins in the hotel! or go across the main road to the dvd shop and there is a little room above which costs about 1 euro for an hour. Gaming consoles - 1 Euro per 15 mins. So on an evening when kids entertaining themselves as not really entertainment for kids adds into costs. I know you do not go on holiday for kids to use consoles but what family these days do not have some degree of technology in their everyday routine for children!
Timeshare Reps - BEWARE!!! reminded me of Tenerife 10 years ago!! watch out all over. They even ride up on scooters looking for english people. Some of them with the older couples very aggressive. Last day there they were outside the hotel waiting for english customers when informed reception - not interested got another useful comment noting I should repond about being british!! and having two villas already! ( a little bit of unease re the no of ex pats now residing in Cyprus) Had had a couple of these comments whilst staying at Kissos!

Good Points - although I have gone into detail about my dislikes there are one or two things that need to added to be fair to this review

Food - no complaints whatsoever, half board and value for money, as on average evening meal (speaking other families) 60 Euros plus for family of 4 for an evening meal out in the town. There was plenty of choice. Four courses comprising of soup, salad selection ( cold pasta dishes etc) then around 4/5 main course to choose from always lovely (sometimes a carvery) Deserts a choice of around 4/5 plus 4 flavours icecream. But this is only my opinion as one family was not impressed at all. Only had chips served one night (great). BBQ Night lovely again, value, even better choice of food and little bit of greek entertainment.
Breakfast - best scrambled eggs ever!!!! plenty of choice again (cereal, continental, cooked etc (please note though not english sausages of bacon but stil enjoyed)
Room - Clean comfortable (couple of days had a threadbare sheet, but i would get that in a UK hotel!) Once mattress situation resolved for child. Not enough drawer space for a family (but families never have enough drawer space )
Suitability - I would say this hotel would be better for couples not families. Met loads of single ladies traveliing on own or in pairs. One or two guests made the holiday not the hotel.

To conclude I would not return to this Hotel, not only for the dislikes, but also Pahos has changed so much, the Euro has made it expensive an example for mums - cheapest hairbraid I could find for child about £22 for one!!!

Also please note there is a topless bar and a nightclub around the corner of the hotel.
Some of the bars are brill for evening entertainment comprises of kareoke and live singers. (If you turn Right out of the Hotel, left at top of road follow 1 min one bar has a bouncy castle great to tiring little ones - the only bouncy castle on the strip)
I

• Liked — Food was vlue for money
  • Disliked — Cusstomer service and Gym
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Borigard
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

The first thing I will say before I begin my review is that I will be watching closely to see if the manager dares to respond to my post (as he has done with 2 other members) He did not speak to me or any of the other guests who I know would have liked the opportunity to raise a few concerns with him, face to face.

I arrived at the Kissos at the end of July, full of optimism and looking forward to a relaxing break. I was greeted, late at night, by a young man who did not offer to help with baggage or show even a glimmer of interest. This did not particularly bother me but it was noted.

The room was clean and spacious and the bed was borderline comfortable. The fridge costs an extra 40 plus euros for 2 weeks and I did not bother with a safe. As stated in other reviews, the Kissos gives you nothing for nothing and they even charge for a kettle.

The one and only reason I booked this hotel was due to the fact that their website advertises a fully-functioning, maintained, air-conditioned gym. I found this was not the case but was accepting of the situation and used the gym anyway.

I asked, on four separate occasions, for the air conditioning to be switched on. I was ignored. I finally discovered that a remote control was needed (the handy man told me this) and I asked for it. The reception staff, realising they could not pretend any longer, finally handed it over. It was very poor but better than nothing.

The treadmill was faulty and stopped abruptly, mid-run (very dangerous) and there are several items which need attention. I asked for the treadmill to be fixed but I was told this would not happen during my 2 week stay. It did work for another guest, as it had done for me, but it was sporadic.

My main complaint is with the reception and management staff. The attitude of most (not all) was of complete disinterest and disregard for guests. Most queries were met with a shrug of the shoulders and perhaps a smirk.

The first choice rep was slovenly and rude. I asked her, on several occasions, to help but she could only speak to me on the final day. We sat together to fill out my complaint form and she asked me to sign the form which she would complete when I had left! After much discussion, she finally agreed to respond to the points I had raised while I was there. No wonder she wanted to wait until I had left - The responses were, in fact, un-true and I challenged her. She refused to discuss it further so I said I would like to reply to her response on paper. She refused but I insisted.

To be honest, it will not make any difference. I will never hear from her, or her superiors, again.

Having spent 2 weeks at the Kissos (not inexpensive) I came to the conclusion that it has some good points but it is not enough to claim to be 3 star. It could have been a great experience but poor hospitality means this was not the case. I was B&B but I did eat there on two occasions in the evening. I found the food to be very enjoyable. This was both a surprise and a relief.

Other people staying there at the same time had other issues in other areas and, given time, I am sure they will post them here too.

The location of the Kissos will suit some but not all. the surrounding area is scruffy, strewn with litter and in need of cleaning up/attention. The harbour area is cleaner and more modern.

If you are happy to settle for poor manners and ‘the customer is NEVER right’ attitude then go to the Kissos. If not, avoid…

Hi D, C & S!! x

• Liked — The lovely people I met
  • Disliked — The rude staff and travel rep
  • Stayed August 2008
3 Thank Traveller206
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

I made a last minute booking to stay at the Kissos hotel, and travelled on my own. I received a warm welcome and was led straight to my superior room which i had booked through email to the hotel 1 day before my arrival.

The superior room was lovely, it was very big with aircon, shower, bath, table chairs, settee, 2 beds, tv etc...my balcony overlooked the lovely long pool outside my door.

The hotel was very quiet on an evening which was lovely as there was plenty going on outside of it.
I soon realised that i wasnt the only single female traveller and made a great friend during my stay there.
Because of the great day time entertainer by the pool, i made lots of friends there and had a great time as a solo travelller. I would definately recomend the Kissos, the staff were all very nice and helpful. Breakfast is definately worth getting up for too.

• Liked — The superior rooms and the pool entertainment during the day
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank JulieMiddlesbrough
Plymouth, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

The Kissos Hotel in Paphos is advertised as a 3*, but is probably more like a 4*. The bedrooms and public rooms are of a high standard, being well maintained with good air con. Although it is possible to book the bigger 'superior' rooms, the standard rooms are easily big enough for 3. Despite being the high season, the pools were never crowded and the facilities were more than adequate. We went on a half board basis and were very impressed with the standard of the food. The evening meal catered for central european tastes, but had enough local dishes satisfy those who wanted to sample local cuisine. The entertainment was 'low key', but adequate for young families, with the highlight being the 'Greek Night' which was really good fun. Before flying out I e-mailed the hotel to get all of rooms together with pool views and they kindly obliged. The manager was often seen 'walking the patch' and he clearly takes a close personal interest in the running of this excellent hotel. We will definately go back.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Local travel rep
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank GIWoody
Barnet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

landed in Paphos on the 24th July and made our way to the Kissos Hotel (my wife and i, with 3 teenage children) takes about 20 mins by cab(around 35/40 euros).
arrived at hotel and reception staff were on the ball and polite,went to our rooms, which were clean little small but you don't spend a lot of time sitting in your room.
the hotel has 2 pools both clean and never too many people in them at one time.pool bar was OK and not really any more expensive than surrounded bars.
breakfast was not bad, cereals,fruit,cooked (egg,bacon etc),toast and continental(rolls,cheese and meat)
never ate there for any other meals.
the third bed in our daughters room was a very poor camp bed , this would be my one complaint, OK for a young child ,not a teenager.
Sunbeds.......as ever if you want one get up very early ! why people put towels on beds and then never use them , i do not understand. tell the reception staff and they will remove the towels so you can use the sunbeds.
room-safe is a cost of 38 euros for 14 days.
fridge and tea/coffee facilities is at a cost, sorry never used.
Hotel is set in a good position for bars and restaurants only a minute or so .
Beach......not great, best and closest one is down road and keep right, it is another hotels beach and you will need to pay for beds, about 2.5 euro.but still not a great place.
you can walk to the Harbour which has more bars and rest' where you can eat, plus some shops, mostly tat.
Coral bay is a bus ride away, better beach but pay for beds.
we hired a car and drove around a lot, but you will need a map. traffic very light at all times, nice to drive round. tip, speed traps on motorways stick to limit 99% of drivers do.
a couple of recommendations
1/ CHRIS car hire in the harbour, no problems, nice car, about 30 euros a day.
2/ Olympic restaurant , just around corner from hotel, Chris the owner is very accommodating, ask him for what you want and he will do it for you. food and price GOOD.
3/ Aqua park good day out, take your SUN CREAM, your in open for a few hours.
overall ...... Hotel has what you need, area OK ,perhaps not lively enough.

• Liked — no problems, location
  • Disliked — not lively enough
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family